Expendable - Another Year in Exile

Where you can keep a diary of your life. Only one topic per member, please!

Moderators: djd001, LikkleMel, Noodle

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 14 May 2021, 22:14

Expendable wrote:
14 May 2021, 20:54
Emotive wrote:
14 May 2021, 02:12
Oh, sorry ^_^;

How have you been? :)

Just my usual self. How about you?
I hope so. ^_^

Also just a heads up my PS Vita's Remote Play is laggy atm so when I moved the cursor in the PS4's browser over the quote icon it moved so I accidentally clicked the "!"next to it and idk how to stop loading pages in the PS4's browser. Just in case you're wondering if it did end up doing something. Totally accidental though, just our laggy wifi. Sorry though >_<

I'm pushing through though I guess is the best way to describe things atm, but I do appreciate you asking. ^_^ Sorry again too. Our wifi should be better since we pay something like $200 a month for it. Remote areas don't have a lot of internet options though. >_<;

Looking forward to the weekend? :dance:

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 15 May 2021, 00:57

Tomorrow's a demo night and they're calling for rain. No worries, easy enough to put plastic bags in the mortar tubes to keep the shells from getting wet and plastic caps on top that'll blow off when the fireworks go off. Of course, it's going to be wet AND cold.

Other than that, it's working on my home command center - everything essential in one place so it's easy to find.

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 16 May 2021, 01:07

Wet and cold while working always sounded like a bad combination. :/ Hopefully it won't be too bad though. ^_^

Essentials in one place is a good idea. It's probably going to save time too in the end. ^_^ ^_^

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 18 May 2021, 03:55

Time to reorganize everything and it's the perfect time for it.

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 20 May 2021, 17:38

Always good to organize even though it's hard to feel like doing it sometimes. ^_^

How ya been? :)

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 21 May 2021, 01:12

I'm melting. Very hot here. How are you?

For the D&D players, there's a 5e module by Dungeon Masters Guild called "Eyes Unclouded" - and it's based on Studio Ghibli movies.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 23 May 2021, 02:48

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 25 May 2021, 00:15

In the same boat, it's like an oven right now. >_<

D&D always sounded really fun but from what I heard about it it has more than one player so I was never able to play it. :(

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 27 May 2021, 02:11

There are one-on-one roleplays that can be done, but they tend towards romantic play.

So I finished up a course on tech writing today. While the beginning of it was what I was looking for, the rest of it was about how to go about writing a technical book. But from what I can see, they're not that much different from writing a role playing game manual.

I've had an idea for a role-playing game that I've been working on off-and-on called Samizdat, named after these contraband books that would be released in the Soviet Union (who controlled the typewriters and the printing presses). It takes its name from the samovar, a tea kettle whose tank surrounded a chimney where they'd burn charcoal sticks - the tea, they say, "makes itself". So Samizdat "wrote itself." (And it's awfully hard to arrest someone if you don't know who wrote the anonymous book you just confiscated.)

I particularly like small books, like the little black books of Traveller RPG or the first and second editions of Big Eyes, Small Mouth - the first book would explain how to play and create a character, then the following books would cover some other aspect of the game, be it mecha or spaceships.

I think I want to give that a try.

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 30 May 2021, 01:00

Oh, I thought it was a group game. It'd still be kewl to learn how to play it though. :dance:

That sounds like a sweet idea too. I'm fairly certain I never heard that about those Samizdat contraband in the Soviet Union. There's always something to learn. ^_^

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 30 May 2021, 03:26

Samizdat isn't something most people outside of the old Soviet Union would run across.

Basically, I wanted an adaptable rules-light system that could be run with a minimum of identifiable pieces, handy for what I call "guerilla gaming" - the idea that you could run a game without other people outside of the game being aware of it. So I came up with a simple mechanic which means no charts. Really, most of this can be run off the information on your character sheet - which can be the size of a card.

The problem, of course, is props - if you're playing a fantasy game, you need swords and spells. If you're playing a scifi game, you need blasters and advanced tech. So we need prop catalogs. That part I've been working on for a bit.

Ideally, the catalogs shouldn't come out during normal gameplay, but sometimes you have to look something up. I saw this D&D inventory system where players use cards and place them in boxes shaped like backpacks, etc. So prop cards the player holds would work great.

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 01 Jun 2021, 22:36

After hearing that I'm really wanting to play D&D. :dance: Prop cards sound like a good idea though. Like personally because it always feels like people are watching me so it's likepulling teeth when a friend tries to get me to have fun and just be myself. Prop cards would be an awesome way to get similar people with those social barriers to learn to play. I honestly think a lot more people than you might expect would like them. ^_^

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 14 Jun 2021, 22:30

Prop cards are not an original idea.

So, last night I came down with food poisoning. Whee. Must have brushed my teeth four times last night, and three showers. Tried two bites from a banana this morning and had to go lie down. Now I'm able to keep one banana down. Gonna be baked potato tonight, bland food.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 15 Jun 2021, 13:48

Still alive, ribs sore.