Of Timelords & Treason (Kimi/PT's ALJ)

Where you can keep a diary of your life. Only one topic per member, please!

Moderators: djd001, LikkleMel, Noodle

Pirate TimeLord
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by Pirate TimeLord » 29 Dec 2020, 22:57

Phone alarms. Not as loud as sometimes needed xD Mainly due to poor sleep, so was in deeper sleep when they went off. Wasn't too late though.

Money pit - yes and no. This repair is going to be expensive, but hopefully won't be needed again. Typical maintenance/running costs make it one of the cheaper cars to own.

My 107 I've had since near end of October 2017.
AL Journals - Create your own personal space on AL Here!
Arts, Cosplay & Writing - You should check this out!
You're so far past the line, You've gone past the Medusa Cascade, through Narnia and landed smack bang in the middle of Mordor. Where you killed the cookie monster, dissected him, then tried to eat him before choking to death on his insides.

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 29 Dec 2020, 23:28

Cheaper? More and more it seems like a job is pretty much required to have the funds to maintain a vehicle, or some other steady income. D: I think I see now why with some people owning a car is sometimes a matter of pride.

Pirate TimeLord
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by Pirate TimeLord » 30 Dec 2020, 02:16

TBH yes, you need a job/ source of income to afford to own/run a car. But many jobs need a car to enable better transport for a job (or to improve opportunities with a current job). Compared to public transport, the cost or running/maintaining my car (bar unexpected bills like this repair) is equal, or less, than cost of taking public transport to/from work. Plus I have freedom to travel to any location I want, when I want (more or less). Plus getting to/from events is more convenient and cheaper than public transport.
You're so far past the line, You've gone past the Medusa Cascade, through Narnia and landed smack bang in the middle of Mordor. Where you killed the cookie monster, dissected him, then tried to eat him before choking to death on his insides.

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 30 Dec 2020, 02:33

I want a car but insurance mannnnnn :(
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 30 Dec 2020, 02:45

Always the insurance

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 30 Dec 2020, 20:37

The insurance sounds like a constant waking nightmare. lol If I get a car I'll obviously get insurance though, but it just sounds like such a headache to deal with. D:

Thanks for elaborating, Kimi. It does help to understand the appeal of a car, which I never really was able to actually understand or maybe appreciate. How's the day so far? :)

Pirate TimeLord
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by Pirate TimeLord » 03 Jan 2021, 14:05

Hey Ho.

Great start to the new year then. (/sarcasm)

Got a call from mum this morning, letting me know dad was rushed into hospital this morning, with suspected severe pneumonia. (She woke up around 3am to go to the toilet, found the lights were all on, which was unusual as my dad normally goes to bed at similar time to my mum, or earlier (around 11pm). She tried to shake him to wake him up tot get him to go to bed, and he barely responded. He barely registered any eye movement, no groans or anything (as would be normal if he'd just fallen asleep in the chair). So she phoned emergency services for help, and they've rushed him in.

Not gonna lie - don't personally think he'll be home again. He's on oxygen most of the time normally as he struggles to breathe (with some combination of his asthma/ emphysema/ whatever his condition actually is). And when I was last up visiting, he did have his (now normal) downer episode, where he just wanted the whole family to be able to share the normal timeshare holiday week (the one I usually go on with them in summer), as he didn't think he'd make it another year. Don't think he'll want to make the effort to fight through it. As it is he spends the days mostly bored, aimlessly playing games on his computer (where he can use the oxygen generator, saving using up the small portable refillable tanks). He's not able to go anywhere, given how exhausting it is for him just to walk about for more than a few minutes at a time (and how much his breathing has to increase, thus lots more oxygen gets used up). Not that lockdown allows him out anyway.

So yeah - not looking good. Maybe whatever meds they give him may help, but given covid situation, there is a worrying risk of him getting that as well, which would pretty much guarantee he doesn't make it. Just have to wait and see.

Returning to work after holiday will be fun tomorrow. :/

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 03 Jan 2021, 20:46

Sorry to hear it, Kimi. :( I hope he pulls through.

Pirate TimeLord
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by Pirate TimeLord » 04 Jan 2021, 17:23

Hmm.

Well, as of 9pm last night, he was tested negative for covid, but does have pneumonia. He's out of Emergency, in a normal chest care ward. He's now on pressurised oxygen, to try and force the carbon dioxide out of his lungs (since that's why he's on oxygen normally - when he breathes his lungs can't expel the CO2 properly), but it's uncomfortable so he keeps trying to take the mask off (which is a problem). Way it was said sounds like maybe not entirely/fully conscious attempts at that (more reflex). He had been able to sit up in the bed (for about 20 seconds max) and had managed a couple of small glasses of water (and given he hadn't eaten in a coupel of days, and not had much to drink, that's good). So better than he was when rushed in, but staff at hospital still point out it's still 50/50 whether he improves or gets worse. Waiting on any updates from my mum.

And of course Scotland has now gone into a strict lockdown again (Legal stay at home orders, so not allowed out of house except for genuine essential reasons across most of it), so what little chance I had at popping up to be with mum is out the window (especially with Boris due to announce stricter measures here in England later on tonight too).

Such fun.

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 04 Jan 2021, 17:38

Hopefully, he'll get better and be able to have calls and keep in contact. :)
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 04 Jan 2021, 17:56

I hope he gets better.

Pneumonia isn't fun trust me I've had it and having asthma on top of it was very bad for me. I would t wa t pneumonia on anyone. So I do hope he gets better though.

Pirate TimeLord
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by Pirate TimeLord » 05 Jan 2021, 01:23

Well, last update is he's not gotten any worse, but hasn't improved any. He's a bit 'loopy' they say, but given asides from two tiny cups of water, that he hasn't eaten anything (or drunk more than that), in 3 or so days now, may be dehydration. And yet my mum has had to suggest feeding tube and IV drip since he can't /won't eat or drink... And between funding cuts = staffing cuts, and covid, they don't have nurses to feed patients anymore. They just leave it and hope they manage to eat it.

Also some pissy nurses working too. Apparently my younger brother got a huge bollocking off a nurse, because he had dared to call and ask about our dad. (Seemingly only Mum can possibly be allowed to ask about him/ ask to speak to him, as they can't have the whole family constantly calling in (it was literally one try, and only my younger brother, asides form my Mum, the rest of us are getting updates through my mum anyway). Not like he's a direct blood relative we're worried about or anything.)

There are some good nurses working with him too of course, but seems one of the on duty nurses today (well yesterday now as of the update here) wasn't wanting to do her job, or be at work.

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 05 Jan 2021, 01:50

Iv and feeding tube would help if he's too weak to est or drink. Sounds like he's dehydrated a little water goes a long way. Nurses should always take care of there patients but I know the feeling my grandfather wasnt treated right this year long story but you probably dont wanna know with being worried and all. I still hope he gets better

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 05 Jan 2021, 05:10

The hospital staff is also in an unprecedented stressful situation though, but that is an inappropriate response to be like that when it's still a family member. I hope your dad recovers soon, Kimi. :(

Pirate TimeLord
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by Pirate TimeLord » 05 Jan 2021, 13:41

Sadly that's a no for him recovering. Mum called a couple of hours ago. Consultant has said nothing is working, and he's deteriorating fast, so it's literally just a matter of time. :(