Flighty Dreams and Harebrained Schemes {PortgasDAce}

Where you can keep a diary of your life. Only one topic per member, please!

Moderators: djd001, LikkleMel, Noodle

PortgasDAce
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Re: Flighty Dreams and Harebrained Schemes {PortgasDAce}

Post by PortgasDAce » 05 Dec 2019, 19:22

Pixiedora wrote:I'm sorry you had an argument :( Hope you manage to make up later

Have you considered volunteering as a start? It could be something fun, and you could do different things? My husband has anxiety and is thinking about going for a new job in the future, so is volunteering now to get experience and see what he's interested/capable of doing. Also you shouldn't be punished for not staying in jobs, so please don't let that feeling impact you negatively. I don't know about America, but here (in my experience from people I know) if you have gaps or less time at other jobs they usually just ask for a reason on applications/interviews, and mental health is an extremely valid reason. More and more companies are getting much better at supporting and understanding mental health. (I know it has a long way to go but it's slowly getting better!)

Thank you. <3

This is going to make me sound terrible, but I'm really, really hesitant to do volunteer work. I'm not trying to complain or anything, but during my 8 years in college I was taking a bunch of classes I didn't care about and giving away my financial aid to a parent. I'm really wary about putting myself in another experience in which there isn't some financial gain.
“The nation that neglects social inequality, mischievously increases military budgets, and then uses its power internally to suppress the citizens on the pretext of invasion by an external enemy is on the road to extinction.”
 Yang Wen-Li.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 05 Dec 2019, 20:19

PortgasDAce wrote:Thank you. <3

This is going to make me sound terrible, but I'm really, really hesitant to do volunteer work. I'm not trying to complain or anything, but during my 8 years in college I was taking a bunch of classes I didn't care about and giving away my financial aid to a parent. I'm really wary about putting myself in another experience in which there isn't some financial gain.

You're not alone. I never did any normal volunteering and do not plan to. For me the situation is simple. Either I do what I want and I don't get paid (or I actually do get paid if I manage to sell the results) or follow someone's orders and they pay me. It depends on the type of volunteering, but the first moment someone orders me to do something is the last moment of my volunteering work. They can kindly ask me of course and I can kindly accept the request (or not), that's a different story.

PortgasDAce
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by PortgasDAce » 05 Dec 2019, 22:51

unoduetre wrote:You're not alone. I never did any normal volunteering and do not plan to. For me the situation is simple. Either I do what I want and I don't get paid (or I actually do get paid if I manage to sell the results) or follow someone's orders and they pay me. It depends on the type of volunteering, but the first moment someone orders me to do something is the last moment of my volunteering work. They can kindly ask me of course and I can kindly accept the request (or not), that's a different story.

Whew! I'm so relieved I'm not the only one out there! I feel like it's important that you get something out of what you do.
“The nation that neglects social inequality, mischievously increases military budgets, and then uses its power internally to suppress the citizens on the pretext of invasion by an external enemy is on the road to extinction.”
 Yang Wen-Li.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 08 Dec 2019, 03:10

On your resume:

I'd strike "7 semesters of Japanese" unless you're applying for a job that requests japanese and "Proficient with email and Facebook" because that's a terrible thing to put on a resume unless you're applying for a social media job. I'd be careful with 'highly independent worker' because that sounds like you don't want to work on a team. "ability to work without supervision" might be a decent alternative, or something that makes that point without being as dull.

Your internship is a great section, but I'd remove "AL 431 (European Fairy Tale Tradition)." It won't be relevant to anyone reading it and it sounds better without it.

Overall, your skills summary is your weakest section. I think you should have your education first, then your internship.
But you don't need to list your associates degree or junior college since you graduated university. It's filler.

I know with all of that removed your resume is going to be half a page, but honestly that's better than putting filler. Information that is useless to a recruiter is more likely to annoy them than a sparse but succinct resume.

Can you think of anything you've done for fun that may have developed some skill(s) that might be useful in a workplace?
Can you think of anything you've done that highlights your social ability?

One question that will arise of course is that since you graduated in 2014 and there's no information on what you've been doing the last 5 years, recruiters may wonder. I'm not sure that's something you should address on the resume given that the answer seems to be chillaxin. But maybe you should be ready for that whenever you get an interview.

All that said, I really do think you should try a temp agency.
I mean here's the thing: businesses often have needs for people without special skills; for example, if you need to hire a person to match numbers on paper. Anyone without dyslexia can do that. But if the company advertises a position, they'd have 500 applications to go through and it doesn't fucking matter because anyone can do it. Instead, they go to a temp agency and ask for some people, and the temp agency gives them people. It dramatically reduces their hassle. And so, a lot of decent jobs that don't require skills go through...temp agencies. When you have few skills, it's much easier to let an agency whore you out for whatever, then you get some skills and experience and sometimes even get a door into a decent company. There's less requirement for having a stellar resume or experience because when you work for a temp agency, you're a financial asset and they're going to talk you up better than you usually can yourself--a good temp agency can actually see that hey, this person graduated university, they are variously capable. If you leave your GPA on your resume and those other qualifications--most other employers wouldn't care, but a good staffing agency would see that and know that you're diligent as well, and with that you can be a person they could place somewhere without having to worry too much. AND, from my experience, they care a lot less about gaps in employment because they're used to dealing with people who don't normally work--housewives that could use something to do or a little extra income, that sort of thing.
Experiences may vary of course, but it's worth trying.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

PortgasDAce
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by PortgasDAce » 08 Dec 2019, 23:14

Naughty Kitty wrote:A fair point that. *nod*

How's it going? :)
 Yang Wen-Li.

PortgasDAce
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by PortgasDAce » 08 Dec 2019, 23:18

Momogari wrote:On your resume:

I'd strike "7 semesters of Japanese" unless you're applying for a job that requests japanese and "Proficient with email and Facebook" because that's a terrible thing to put on a resume unless you're applying for a social media job. I'd be careful with 'highly independent worker' because that sounds like you don't want to work on a team. "ability to work without supervision" might be a decent alternative, or something that makes that point without being as dull.

Your internship is a great section, but I'd remove "AL 431 (European Fairy Tale Tradition)." It won't be relevant to anyone reading it and it sounds better without it.

Overall, your skills summary is your weakest section. I think you should have your education first, then your internship.
But you don't need to list your associates degree or junior college since you graduated university. It's filler.

I know with all of that removed your resume is going to be half a page, but honestly that's better than putting filler. Information that is useless to a recruiter is more likely to annoy them than a sparse but succinct resume.

Can you think of anything you've done for fun that may have developed some skill(s) that might be useful in a workplace?
Can you think of anything you've done that highlights your social ability?

One question that will arise of course is that since you graduated in 2014 and there's no information on what you've been doing the last 5 years, recruiters may wonder. I'm not sure that's something you should address on the resume given that the answer seems to be chillaxin. But maybe you should be ready for that whenever you get an interview.

All that said, I really do think you should try a temp agency.
I mean here's the thing: businesses often have needs for people without special skills; for example, if you need to hire a person to match numbers on paper. Anyone without dyslexia can do that. But if the company advertises a position, they'd have 500 applications to go through and it doesn't fucking matter because anyone can do it. Instead, they go to a temp agency and ask for some people, and the temp agency gives them people. It dramatically reduces their hassle. And so, a lot of decent jobs that don't require skills go through...temp agencies. When you have few skills, it's much easier to let an agency whore you out for whatever, then you get some skills and experience and sometimes even get a door into a decent company. There's less requirement for having a stellar resume or experience because when you work for a temp agency, you're a financial asset and they're going to talk you up better than you usually can yourself--a good temp agency can actually see that hey, this person graduated university, they are variously capable. If you leave your GPA on your resume and those other qualifications--most other employers wouldn't care, but a good staffing agency would see that and know that you're diligent as well, and with that you can be a person they could place somewhere without having to worry too much. AND, from my experience, they care a lot less about gaps in employment because they're used to dealing with people who don't normally work--housewives that could use something to do or a little extra income, that sort of thing.
Experiences may vary of course, but it's worth trying.

Wow..thanks for the detailed feedback! O_O Yeah, I was thinking about deleting the Japanese anyway since I forgot most of it. *lol* I don't really have any skills to highlight at the moment. I'll get to work on editing the resume.
 Yang Wen-Li.

PortgasDAce
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by PortgasDAce » 08 Dec 2019, 23:24

My mouse isn't working right anymore, so can't flip around the internship and education at the moment.
 Yang Wen-Li.

PortgasDAce
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by PortgasDAce » 09 Dec 2019, 04:16

I had a dream last night. Can't remember much of it except that the worlds of DBZ, One Piece, and Yu Yu hakusho were crossed over and everybody was pissed at me because I somehow caused the universe connection. *lol* I ended up having relations with a certain One Piece character, but I can't remember the details.
 Yang Wen-Li.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 10 Dec 2019, 19:30

PortgasDAce wrote:I ended up having relations with a certain One Piece character, but I can't remember the details.

Ohohohohho

PortgasDAce
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by PortgasDAce » 11 Dec 2019, 04:52

unoduetre wrote:Ohohohohho

*lol* Totally. The boyfriend musn't find out!
 Yang Wen-Li.

PortgasDAce
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by PortgasDAce » 12 Dec 2019, 01:50

My boyfriend dropped me off at the store to pick up a couple of things. I thought I saw him pull up when I was done and opened the door, but started to get in the wrong car! The dude was cool about it, but that was so embarrassing. *lol*
 Yang Wen-Li.

Teeny
Light Blue Member
Light Blue Member
Great Britain

Post by Teeny » 12 Dec 2019, 12:23

PortgasDAce wrote:My boyfriend dropped me off at the store to pick up a couple of things. I thought I saw him pull up when I was done and opened the door, but started to get in the wrong car! The dude was cool about it, but that was so embarrassing. *lol*

At least the guy found the funny side of it :)
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
Click above to join me in Joestar Clan

Luffynatsu87
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Luffynatsu87 » 12 Dec 2019, 12:53

PortgasDAce wrote:My boyfriend dropped me off at the store to pick up a couple of things. I thought I saw him pull up when I was done and opened the door, but started to get in the wrong car! The dude was cool about it, but that was so embarrassing. *lol*

Did you realise before or after you put all the shopping in his car XD

Pixiedora
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Pixiedora » 12 Dec 2019, 14:57

:lol: I've done this before. Glad he could laugh along!

TheRedWarrior
Clansmen of the Month
Clansmen of the Month
Great Britain

Post by TheRedWarrior » 12 Dec 2019, 21:54

Hahaha. That's some funny stuff.

:smoke::smoke:

https://www.anime-planet.com/users/RedW ... ist-693622