Lily, Me and other disjointed ramblings [Ojisama]

Where you can keep a diary of your life. Only one topic per member, please!

Moderators: djd001, LikkleMel, Noodle

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 23 Mar 2023, 15:42

Ojisama wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 13:56
I have no intentions of passing on just yet.

I went training last night despite feeling awful. There is a grading coming up, and I am working with the lower grades to sharpen up their techniques. When I got there, my instructor graced me with the information that I will also be grading starting next week, and that it will extend over 4 sessions as he assesses me for my 2nd Dan AND Instructor status. Talk about a bolt out of the blue!

Now, I must get well or this will be a disaster.

Probably a daft question and not allowed, but as you're at an advanced level in TKD, would you be able to help me eventually pass for a blue belt? I've decided not to rage quit as I literally slept on it last night.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 29 Mar 2023, 15:57

Kick in the teeth time. I was rushed into hospital with severe abdominal pain, ended up being cut open to have a strangulated hernia straightened out.

I have never experienced such pain. They tried Paracetamol, no effect. Morphine, no effect. Ketamine, slight effect.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 29 Mar 2023, 15:59

Ojisama wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 15:57
Kick in the teeth time. I was rushed into hospital with severe abdominal pain, ended up being cut open to have a strangulated hernia straightened out.

I have never experienced such pain. They tried Paracetamol, no effect. Morphine, no effect. Ketamine, slight effect.

You didn't get stabbed during a sword battle I hope? That could be rather nasty.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 29 Mar 2023, 20:24

Ojisama wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 15:57

get well soon! i know pain like that, my gallbladder tried to kill me once, and the pain was so bad that i actually asked for an ambulance because i could no longer stand up

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 29 Mar 2023, 20:50

I once got a Roundhouse kick to the noggin during a Karate sparring match, the opponent, like most people, was taller than me but I still won the bout by DQ because he kicked me in the noggin.

Back in the day I was undefeated against black belts lol.

Unfortunately I had to pack in training at the age of 35 due to a nasty back injury.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 11 Apr 2023, 21:03

So...at just about this time 2 weeks ago I was being prepped for surgery after suffering some of THE most agonising pains I have EVER experienced. Wheeled onto the ward at midnight after what should have been a "routine" 1 hour operation to have my large intestine returned to it's normal place of residence.

"A bit of a jigsaw puzzle" was how the surgeon termed it.

I've got a few more days until I have to start fending for myself when my wife returns to work, and #2 goes back to Uni, but I think I will be OK. Walking around today was much easier than a few days ago, and as long as I don't do anything stupid I should be able to get by.

What's really annoying is that it will put me back about half a year for my 2nd Dan. 2/3 months until I can start training again, (Why does 8/12 weeks sound so much shorter?) and then I've got to get back to full fitness and mobility (or as full as you can get at my age). Hopefully, I can go in and start assisting a little earlier, just no actual training.

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 11 Apr 2023, 23:05

Just be careful and take care of yourself

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 18 Apr 2023, 21:58

When I first came out, the constant intake of medication meant I slept a lot so the days went by quickly, supported by reading manga on my tablet, and watching anime on my laptop. Now that the meds have been reduced, the days are getting longer, and I am getting bored.

15 minutes of excitement when the new washing machine was delivered and fitted.

I'm thinking of returning to the TKD club next week, but only to instruct, and not to train myself. Sword training will take a few more weeks. Given the number of public holidays in May, possibly it will be June when I return to training.

Luckily, I should still be able to attend the Cons I had planned for, although #2 got a shock when I said I wouldn't be going to Leeds in June, as we would be on holiday.

Speaking of holidays, my spell in hospital has created a "Life's to Short" reaction in my wife, and she has been booking short breaks all over the place.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 19 Apr 2023, 06:07

Ojisama wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 21:58
When I first came out, the constant intake of medication meant I slept a lot so the days went by quickly, supported by reading manga on my tablet, and watching anime on my laptop. Now that the meds have been reduced, the days are getting longer, and I am getting bored.

15 minutes of excitement when the new washing machine was delivered and fitted.

I'm thinking of returning to the TKD club next week, but only to instruct, and not to train myself. Sword training will take a few more weeks. Given the number of public holidays in May, possibly it will be June when I return to training.

Luckily, I should still be able to attend the Cons I had planned for, although #2 got I shock when I said I wouldn't be going to Leeds in June, as we would be on holiday.

Speaking of holidays, my spell in hospital has created a "Life's to Short" reaction in my wife, and she has been booking short breaks all over the place.

Don't knock it, sounds like you could do with a holiday.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 21 Apr 2023, 18:13

Yippee! Allowed out by myself today. Took the car out for a spin and a walk around some of the shops. No problems with my surgery, so I might venture out some more next week, and let the TKD club know that I am still alive.

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 23 Apr 2023, 12:43

Yeah freedom

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 25 Apr 2023, 22:19

Yea indeed. I got to do the shopping today.

Some errands tomorrow as well, and then I'll return to training in the evening, but no jumping/kicking, and definitely no sparring. Just simple stuff with the kids for a few weeks.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 26 Apr 2023, 23:13

It felt good to get back to training tonight. Although I am limited in what I can do, I completed all 11 patterns, minus the kicks, and that caused me a few problems as the usual movement of my weight didn't happen so my balance sucked. Trained some of the youngsters in their patterns. Did a lot of hand techniques to loosen off my shoulders.

Out and about in the city centre tomorrow. Can't wait.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 29 Apr 2023, 20:44

Of to Scarborough tomorrow to spend a couple of days at the coast. Typical Bank Holiday weather expected. Rain.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 01 May 2023, 09:10

Ojisama wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 23:25
It goes like this.

"Where did those come from?"
"What?"
"THOSE"

My wife is referring to the prominent red scratch marks running down my back that she had spotted as I got out of the shower.

Hold on...it's not what you think.

A few weeks ago we adopted a cat from the RSPCA. A lovely little 1 year old kitten/cat called Lily.

Now, it's been a few years (about 15) since we last had a cat, and when he passed he must have been about 20 years old. A grand old man who spent his days sleeping, and mooching food off the neighbours. We had forgotten what it is like to have a young, energetic, inquisitive, bouncy bundle of fur in the house.

To date she has...broken one of our wedding anniversary gifts.
Stolen the chicken pieces off the pizza we were just about to put in the oven.
Perfected the art of flicking her cat litter over a distance of 4 feet.

We have had to unhook her from tablecloths, curtains, carpets, cloths, towels and cushions. She even managed to get her claws stuck in her own tail when she was chasing it around.
Despite shouts, loud hand claps, blowing in her face and even spraying with misted water, she insists on walking on every horizontal surface in the house, and I spend a lot of time wiping down work tops and table tops.

Her latest trick is to jump onto my back when I'm bending down, hence the scratch marks as she claws her way up. My wife was sceptical, until Lily did it to her this morning.

Hi Ojisama here.
I am a recent member of advancing years, and this is my first Journal.
The only recurring theme will probably be tales of our new cat, but expect other snippets from my life both past and present.
Feel free to post replies, or not, but please do not carry on convos with other members in MY Journal, unless it is regarding something I have posted.

So basically you had a scrap wi t' cat, and t' cat won? :D