Happy Birthday Animeleague!

Introduce yourself, learn the ropes of our community, and ask questions! || Also check out the guidebook here.

Moderators: Wheely Sweet, Teeny

Ferefire
Ensouled Member
Ensouled Member
Great Britain

Post by Ferefire » 24 Feb 2024, 14:36

Yes, it's that time of the year again. It's AL's birthday! :dance:

Feel free to use this topic to discuss AL memories over the years. :)
---

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 24 Feb 2024, 14:51

happy birthday

how old is the gal now?

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 24 Feb 2024, 16:13

Good forum, I joined just before I attended my first AL con at the Mercure in Town in September 2022, which was actually better than last year's IMO, and not just because I managed to get in on the Cosplay Masquerade in the over 14 section (I didn't win but at least I had a go)

I'm hoping to come to this year's event on Saturday 14/9/24, in fact I'm just off to send an email about that to Laura.

I know it's about 6 months notice but at least then she can bug social services for the extra time.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 24 Feb 2024, 23:00

:rad:

I've spent more time here then I did in class during high school

And for some reason I thought the Bday was the 26th. That means there is something else in the 26th I should maybe try to remember.....

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GFX by:Ioreth

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 24 Feb 2024, 23:10

I was on an old gundam forum before this.

Got this email so I decided to take a look, because I was looking for another forum. I liked rping at the time and I wasn't in a forum that did a lot at the time. I was in school at the time so I posted off and on, but over time I came to love this place. It felt like a home, so many nice people. I've been on this forum longer then any other forum.

Happy Birthday

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Nada
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Matt Nada » 25 Feb 2024, 06:10

I was trying to get roleplaying going on DBZ-Fan when Freesaiyan wandered back around to plug his new forum, which had been around a few months at that point IIRC. One of the forum regulars, hdofu, was an admin over here, and pushed me to check it out. I and a few others (Limitless, Organic Power, Mystic, Lannon are the ones I best remember) ended up registering and I myself split my time between both forums for a while, though I spent more and more time on AnimeLeague as I got deeper involved in the Momentum Sparring forum. I left for a year or two once the decision was made to try and spin Momentum off into its own RP community, but came back once ClanNation went live and the original version of Roleplayer's Realm entered its early development. Like most of the Momentum staff I ended up transferring to RR staff once we went back to having just one forum. I spent the next five years as the RR Head Mod/Security Admin, before resigning and deleting my original account due to IRL. I went through the end of middle school, all of high school, and junior college on this site and the people I met here were a more regular part of my life for longer than anyone outside of my immediate family.

It's crazy to think it's been 22 years already (20 for RR, my beloved, in June). My life would be unrecognizable without missing summer school one day long ago and browsing a dying DBZ forum at the right time.
Spikey Dokey: In Russia, when you become the admin of an internet forum, you do it until you die.
Spikey Dokey: Wether you want to or not.

AKA Clockwork, Original viper, Sariel, Grandleon

Ferefire
Ensouled Member
Ensouled Member
Great Britain

Post by Ferefire » 25 Feb 2024, 21:42

It's still crazy to think the impact you personally had on AL and the fact you never breached 700 posts, yet alone 1,000 posts over that time.

The roleplay sparring scene moved on from us and to a certain extent has degraded and decayed. I spoke with someone who came into our Discord asking about Roleplayer's Realm and if the archives were available. When I explained who I was, he was "... wtf" which goes to show. Concepts such as closed style, hybrid and so forth have been lost. Even trying to explain this to the guy, the reaction was comical (ie: he was "... huh is that even allowed?").

Bit of a ramble, but why not? :)

Matt Nada wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 06:10
I was trying to get roleplaying going on DBZ-Fan when Freesaiyan wandered back around to plug his new forum, which had been around a few months at that point IIRC. One of the forum regulars, hdofu, was an admin over here, and pushed me to check it out. I and a few others (Limitless, Organic Power, Mystic, Lannon are the ones I best remember) ended up registering and I myself split my time between both forums for a while, though I spent more and more time on AnimeLeague as I got deeper involved in the Momentum Sparring forum. I left for a year or two once the decision was made to try and spin Momentum off into its own RP community, but came back once ClanNation went live and the original version of Roleplayer's Realm entered its early development. Like most of the Momentum staff I ended up transferring to RR staff once we went back to having just one forum. I spent the next five years as the RR Head Mod/Security Admin, before resigning and deleting my original account due to IRL. I went through the end of middle school, all of high school, and junior college on this site and the people I met here were a more regular part of my life for longer than anyone outside of my immediate family.

It's crazy to think it's been 22 years already (20 for RR, my beloved, in June). My life would be unrecognizable without missing summer school one day long ago and browsing a dying DBZ forum at the right time.
---

Matt Nada
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Matt Nada » 25 Feb 2024, 22:20

I still talk to some of the people who joined us from Gaia, GT League, RPGateway, etc. and RolePlayer's Realm comes up from time to time. You're right that hybrid/closed aren't used a lot anymore. Open was always the short form standard, and I think fandom RP's popularity had an impact in keeping it that way, and the competitive instinct makes it hard for a lot of newer RPers to give control over their characters away like that. I can still see where we had an impact on online RP though; that 1-10 level system you made for early RR still gets used in communities I've never heard of, and I do occasionally hear about older players requesting the occasional hybrid RP to keep things moving at a good pace.

It's still crazy to think the impact you personally had on AL and the fact you never breached 700 posts, yet alone 1,000 posts over that time.

I had 18,000 posts on my main account that was deleted :v_v:
Spikey Dokey: In Russia, when you become the admin of an internet forum, you do it until you die.
Spikey Dokey: Wether you want to or not.

AKA Clockwork, Original viper, Sariel, Grandleon

Ferefire
Ensouled Member
Ensouled Member
Great Britain

Post by Ferefire » 25 Feb 2024, 22:49

Oops.

I had 18,000 posts on my main account that was deleted :v_v:

I'm glad some of the structure I laid down has stuck. Hybrid always seemed like a nice compromise to the very harsh closed system. I think the problem with closed was it always required trust between players and the basic understanding this is not about competition but entertainment and showing what you can do, and indeed telling a story together. Winning was never a part of it. A shame that philosophy got lost, I guess.
---

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 26 Feb 2024, 02:43

i have fond memories of my brief time in RR

good old buff as heck stalin stand-in

at least the mechs i wrote about for the UEC were cool :>

ScarletMarisa375
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by ScarletMarisa375 » 26 Feb 2024, 06:14

Happy late birthday, Animeleague!
I'm Super ScarletMarisa375

Sinistra
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Sinistra » 26 Feb 2024, 08:33

Wow I can't believe its been that long, Members like @Queen Washu @Rei @Felicia @Duchess I miss these guys! oh I forgot FreeSayian LOL

Ferefire
Ensouled Member
Ensouled Member
Great Britain

Post by Ferefire » 26 Feb 2024, 21:19

Sinistra wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 08:33
Wow I can't believe its been that long, Members like @Queen Washu @Rei @Felicia @Duchess I miss these guys! oh I forgot FreeSayian LOL
:P
---