Eurovision

Here, you can discuss everything to do with music. Favorite artists, music genre, do you create your own music, share your links and soundclouds etc.
LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision

Post by LilMissLarBear » 08 Apr 2023, 11:01

It's almost that time of year where we see all the Eurovision entries perform in Liverpool! If you are just as excited for Eurovision as I am, post below who are your early favourites (all entries have been released ready to perform in the semis)

Fear not if you have not heard any of the entries! I will be posting some as we get closer to the final! I will be sharing my personal faves as well as songs that I think will do well. Feel free to get sharing too! :dance:

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Eurovision 2023

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 08 Apr 2023, 11:48

Meh, if not for the Ukraine crisis we'd have won last year!
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LilMissLarBear » 08 Apr 2023, 12:03

Yeah :( a very very very very *very* small part of me thinks it going to happen again and Ukraine might nab the win for the second time in a row. Their entry last year was ok but I think the entry for this year is a bit better, better vocals this year from them imo.

In terms of last year we have the public to thank because it was the public televote that turned it all around if I remember correctly

Lauren
VG mod

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LilMissLarBear » 08 Apr 2023, 12:13

Here is the first of my few faves for this year. We have Austria with "Who the hell is Edgar?". It's a super catchy song and it's one of the better music videos out of what I've seen so far. I've never seen this live so it will be interesting to see the staging and how well these girls sound live. The jury can swing either way with this because it's not totally clear on what the song is about from the lyrics alone, context does need to be researched. I think this will totally get the public backing so if this does well with the jury vote this will be a very strong contender if it reaches the final. A potential top 5 candidate, if not a easy top 10.

Lauren
VG mod

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Eurovision 2023

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 08 Apr 2023, 13:10

This is this year's UK entry.

Meh, I've heard worse! I guarantee it won't win though.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LilMissLarBear » 08 Apr 2023, 13:20

richardallen1976 wrote:
08 Apr 2023, 13:10

I'm not expecting it to win but I think this is up there as far as our entries are concerned. I feel like this song goes beyond a Eurovision song that most will forget about after the competition- it can actually pass as a half decent pop song! I can see this being played in clubs tbf and being used not just for competition. I do agree, this won't win and it's not as good as last year but I think this can do ok. Another one where I haven't seen the full staging. A song more for the public vote rather than the jury but it can swing either way for both voting stages.

Lauren
VG mod

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Eurovision 2023

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 08 Apr 2023, 13:25

LilMissLarBear wrote:
08 Apr 2023, 13:20
richardallen1976 wrote:
08 Apr 2023, 13:10

I'm not expecting it to win but I think this is up there as far as our entries are concerned. I feel like this song goes beyond a Eurovision song that most will forget about after the competition- it can actually pass as a half decent pop song! I can see this being played in clubs tbf and being used not just for competition. I do agree, this won't win and it's not as good as last year but I think this can do ok. Another one where I haven't seen the full staging. A song more for the public vote rather than the jury but it can swing either way for both voting stages.

In 1992 it would've done well, so it's about 30 years out of date.

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LilMissLarBear » 08 Apr 2023, 15:39

Fair, I can see why people might think that. But look on the bright side, it's not political! Which is something a lot of people hate about Eurovision :shrug:

Lauren
VG mod

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Eurovision 2023

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 08 Apr 2023, 17:10

LilMissLarBear wrote:
08 Apr 2023, 15:39
Fair, I can see why people might think that. But look on the bright side, it's not political! Which is something a lot of people hate about Eurovision :shrug:

Indeed, especially since Brexit, it was bad enough that we haven't won since 1997 before, but now most of Europe hates us because of Brexit so they don't vote for us even if we put a good song in like Spaceman last year.

Plus it's always been the way, at least in recent years, that the little tiny Eastern Bloc countries gang up and vote for each other in return for "Political favours", at the expense of actual good songs from us and other countries, although to be fair, last year's Ukranian entry wasn't terrible.

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LikkleMel » 08 Apr 2023, 17:22

I tried to get tickets as this is literally a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, however, they were super expensive and didn't have that money to spend, plus Ticketmaster apparently crashed multiple times so was a free for all really.
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Eurovision 2023

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 08 Apr 2023, 17:28

LikkleMel wrote:
08 Apr 2023, 17:22
I tried to get tickets as this is literally a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, however, they were super expensive and didn't have that money to spend, plus Ticketmaster apparently crashed multiple times so was a free for all really.

Thing about this kind of thing though, it's cool to see it in person, but it's considerably cheaper (ie free, gratis and for nowt) to watch it in the comfort of your own Home and shout at the TV when nobody votes for the UK song even if it's a good one (which apart from last year, hasn't been the case since 1981 IMO)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LilMissLarBear » 15 Apr 2023, 18:24

We are less than a month away from Eurovision so here is another one of my faves. It's a newly emerged fave and it's seriously under rated, I feel like this one is not talked about enough! Probably won't win or even come close but we are talking about this being a contender for not qualifying. That I won't let happen it's so good and would be great in the final :dance:

Lauren
VG mod

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LikkleMel » 26 Apr 2023, 17:20

On discord will be doing a watch party like last year :) I'm half tempted to stream it, but don't know if the BBC would be like "ummmmm noooo"

Also this is a banger and I will be shocked if it isn't in the final
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LilMissLarBear » 26 Apr 2023, 17:26

Oh I reckon Norway will qualify easy! The only setback this has is that it's been one of the first announced songs, everyone was raving about it (including myself) and now I think the hype has died down a lot. It's in the first semi final where I think all the potential winners are so I reckon it will be a tight competition. With the second semi I reckon it's more obvious who is gonna go through

Lauren
VG mod

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LilMissLarBear » 26 Apr 2023, 17:29

While I'm at it here is another entry that I think has the potential to be a top 10 finisher if it goes through to the final

Lauren
VG mod