Eurovision

Here, you can discuss everything to do with music. Favorite artists, music genre, do you create your own music, share your links and soundclouds etc.
Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Eurovision 2023

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 26 Apr 2023, 17:50

LilMissLarBear wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 17:29
While I'm at it here is another entry that I think has the potential to be a top 10 finisher if it goes through to the final

Given that the French government basically ARE the EU, I think post Brexit they'll do well.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LilMissLarBear » 26 Apr 2023, 17:59

richardallen1976 wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 17:50
LilMissLarBear wrote:
While I'm at it here is another entry that I think has the potential to be a top 10 finisher if it goes through to the final

Given that the French government basically ARE the EU, I think post Brexit they'll do well.

I mean... if we were to go by that logic then you would think France would be a serious contender every single year right? Over the past couple of years they have been inconsistent- last years entry pretty much flopped sadly even though I personally thought it was great, it was different it had amazing visuals and the year before that when Italy won it I believe France did quite well- the song ended up being quite popular. So yeah, its been a mixed bag for France recently so I struggle to see the political connection here.

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Eurovision 2023

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 27 Apr 2023, 13:18

LilMissLarBear wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 17:59
richardallen1976 wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 17:50
LilMissLarBear wrote:

I mean... if we were to go by that logic then you would think France would be a serious contender every single year right? Over the past couple of years they have been inconsistent- last years entry pretty much flopped sadly even though I personally thought it was great, it was different it had amazing visuals and the year before that when Italy won it I believe France did quite well- the song ended up being quite popular. So yeah, its been a mixed bag for France recently so I struggle to see the political connection here.

The voting's always been Politically motivated, all the smaller countries gang up and vote for each other in return for Political favours, and since Brexit nobody votes for us because everyone thinks the Tories are numpties.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LilMissLarBear » 27 Apr 2023, 16:23

The "nobody votes for us" argument kinda makes me giggle a bit because soooo many people think we get 0 points every time but it's only happened to the UK twice in the history of Eurovision. And only one of them was after Brexit (2021- and no surprise it was a shit song anyway it's called Embers go look it up if you want but I wouldn't personally lol)

Lauren
VG mod

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Eurovision 2023

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 27 Apr 2023, 16:36

To be fair if it wasn't for the current Ukraine issues we'd have won last year, in fact this year's final's being held over in Liverpool (for obvious reasons, even though Ukraine actually won, they can't hold the final over there)

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LikkleMel » 01 May 2023, 23:13

Honestly, I thought Frances songs in 2022 and 2021 were great, but they were at the bottom of the leaderboard.

~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

lloydiboy
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Eurovision 2023

Post by lloydiboy » 15 May 2023, 07:26

I was really rooting for Norway, Finland and Australia. I don't think Sweden was the standout performance, and it all seems very convenient that Sweden will now host on the 50th anniversary of Waterloo.

Sam Ryder won the Jury vote last year, but the public overwhelmingly voted for Ukraine. I think Sam only came fourth in the public vote.
Come sing along with me

3DS Friend Code: 4983-6223-5296
Switch Nintendo Network ID: Lloydiboy
SW 7675-3547-3883

PM me to add me and I will add you back :)

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Eurovision 2023

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 15 May 2023, 10:25

As much as I love the Aussies, since when is Australia part of Europe and therefore eligible to even enter Eurovision?

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LikkleMel » 16 May 2023, 17:00

richardallen1976 wrote:
15 May 2023, 10:25
As much as I love the Aussies, since when is Australia part of Europe and therefore eligible to even enter Eurovision?

Australia first took part in the Eurovision Song Contest back in 2015. The country was invited to take part in the singing competition due to its popularity among European diaspora communities. Basically politics :P

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LilMissLarBear » 19 May 2023, 20:52

I know Ive been MIA from the forum so I havent had chance to properly give my verdict but basically the music was good, voting was somewhat off- some i agreed with, most I did not. Loreen was expected to win so if anyone here is mad at that please no hate on here. trust me Ive seen plenty of people elsewhere dish that stuff out, i ask you dont ruin the thread by doing it here too Im frankly tired of seeing it k thanks xx

Just remember we all kinda saw that coming a mile away. Did I want someone else to win? Absolutely but it is what it is :shrug:
All I can say was that France was done dirty, as did Austria but then again their odds got pegged down by coming first and with the underwhelming staging so... meh, again it happens.

Will have a dig around in my photos to see if I have any from the Eurovision watch party I went to in town

Lauren
VG mod

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LikkleMel » 05 Jun 2023, 15:37

This remix is fire!! <3

lloydiboy
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Eurovision 2023

Post by lloydiboy » 06 Jun 2023, 04:42

LilMissLarBear wrote:
19 May 2023, 20:52
I know Ive been MIA from the forum so I havent had chance to properly give my verdict but basically the music was good, voting was somewhat off- some i agreed with, most I did not. Loreen was expected to win so if anyone here is mad at that please no hate on here. trust me Ive seen plenty of people elsewhere dish that stuff out, i ask you dont ruin the thread by doing it here too Im frankly tired of seeing it k thanks xx

Just remember we all kinda saw that coming a mile away. Did I want someone else to win? Absolutely but it is what it is :shrug:
All I can say was that France was done dirty, as did Austria but then again their odds got pegged down by coming first and with the underwhelming staging so... meh, again it happens.

Will have a dig around in my photos to see if I have any from the Eurovision watch party I went to in town

Ultimately my big issue with Loreen winning was that I felt that her song was very underwhelming, especially considering there were some very strong female soloists (and duos) giving great performances. Disappointed for Norway as that was an absolute nailed on Eurovision banger, and the staging was great, but feel that she was dicked by the opinion polls (if it wasn't for how hyped it was, i would have glossed over the Swedish entry). Conversely our entry was within this same group and was probably the weakest vocally and absolutely the weakest in staging.
Come sing along with me

3DS Friend Code: 4983-6223-5296
Switch Nintendo Network ID: Lloydiboy
SW 7675-3547-3883

PM me to add me and I will add you back :)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LilMissLarBear » 06 Jun 2023, 10:08

Lloydiboy wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 04:42
LilMissLarBear wrote:

Ultimately my big issue with Loreen winning was that I felt that her song was very underwhelming, especially considering there were some very strong female soloists (and duos) giving great performances. Disappointed for Norway as that was an absolute nailed on Eurovision banger, and the staging was great, but feel that she was dicked by the opinion polls (if it wasn't for how hyped it was, i would have glossed over the Swedish entry). Conversely our entry was within this same group and was probably the weakest vocally and absolutely the weakest in staging.

Absolutely agree here, I personally didn't think Loreen's entry this year was as good as her 2012 winning entry but I think it was more that people knew her and she was already popular that put her at the favourites. Which to me is a bit biased and unfair. You also need to remember that the jury favour Sweden massively more so in recent years so that will probably play a big part of it as well.

I knew that UK wasn't going to have a great shot at winning anyway because I felt like this year had so many great entries I thought it was going to be a lot more competitive tbh. What I didn't like to see though was that people giving hate to Mae for such a bad performance and what makes it "funny" was that I bet most of these people only saw the stage version and that's it. The staging was very underwhelming indeed but the video is way way way better and even in some (not all) pre parties she did fantastic there too. If people could just appreciate the acts for the whole package (video, staging, recorded versions) I think people would realize that it was the live version that let Mae down, not the song itself.

Lauren
VG mod

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Eurovision 2023

Post by LikkleMel » 09 Jun 2023, 15:46

LilMissLarBear wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 10:08
Lloydiboy wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 04:42
LilMissLarBear wrote:

Absolutely agree here, I personally didn't think Loreen's entry this year was as good as her 2012 winning entry but I think it was more that people knew her and she was already popular that put her at the favourites. Which to me is a bit biased and unfair. You also need to remember that the jury favour Sweden massively more so in recent years so that will probably play a big part of it as well.

I knew that UK wasn't going to have a great shot at winning anyway because I felt like this year had so many great entries I thought it was going to be a lot more competitive tbh. What I didn't like to see though was that people giving hate to Mae for such a bad performance and what makes it "funny" was that I bet most of these people only saw the stage version and that's it. The staging was very underwhelming indeed but the video is way way way better and even in some (not all) pre parties she did fantastic there too. If people could just appreciate the acts for the whole package (video, staging, recorded versions) I think people would realize that it was the live version that let Mae down, not the song itself.

Yeh like no offense to Mae but she isn't a live singer. There are some type of singers who are great in the vocal booth and bad on stage another good example is Dua Lipa. The songs are great, but they don't have the power to command a stage without all the added effects.

I wouldn't say Loreen got votes because she was popular because we have had past winners come back before and they rank bad. I do agree the song was OK, apparently her staging was meant to be bigger, but production said no it was too big for the Eurovision Show so she had to downsize it.

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Eurovision

Post by LilMissLarBear » 04 Sep 2023, 17:52

I decided to tweak the title of this thread to make it more general to Eurovision. Announcements are starting to crop up for the 2024 contest. If this is legit we could already have 2 confirmed entries from Belgium and Cyprus!! The both came up on my TikTok by a Eurovision account but its so early I doubt its legit

Edit: Just as I was typing this I can confirm Belgium definitely has a entry confirmed!!! :dance:

Lauren
VG mod