New to this site. Going to my first ever con in Birmingham on 22/10. Help!

We run conventions and meetups throughout the UK. Check out our full calender at https://www.animeleague.com/our-events/

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ferefire, RedHat

Kyoto44
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Kyoto44 » 10 Sep 2022, 02:20

What do I do? I have literally noone to go with. I'm 28 gay M and it's my first ever con. Is it normal to worry? Do you have to cosplay? I haven't got an outfit just a kimono I'm gonna wear with some sushi socks and naruto flip flops lol. I don't even know if I've posted in the right place. But if anyone else my age is going DM me, is DM even a thing on here. I'm so confused, anyway I love Japan and anime so yeah!

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 10 Sep 2022, 07:13

Hi @Kyoto44

I'll start by saying welcome to the AL Forums. If you want to tell us a little bit more about your anime experience, why not create a thread in the Entrance Lounge?

Of course you will be worried about going to your first Con, especially if you are on your own. However, we are a pretty friendly bunch of people, and I already know that there are a fair few of the forum users going to Birmingham, so I'm sure that they will be happy to give you a big welcome.

I'm off to the Sheffield Con today, but I'll drop a line to a few people when I get back, to see if they can help you out.

Have you joined the discord group?
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Teresa
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Teresa » 17 Sep 2022, 08:53

Hi I’m also going for the first time , I’m nervous I’m taking my 15 year old with me

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 17 Sep 2022, 14:59

Teresa wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 08:53
Hi I’m also going for the first time , I’m nervous I’m taking my 15 year old with me

I'm sure you will have a great time. Have a look at the Conbook to help plan your day, but check with staff on the day for any changes. Bring plenty of hydrating drinks and snacks, as queues for catering (if there is any) will be long. If you are wanting to take part in any gaming tournaments, Cosplay Masqeurade, Lipsync battle etc, be sure to sign up early.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 19 Sep 2022, 12:01

You don't have to cosplay, but you are welcome to if you wish. We accept everyone and welcome everyone with open arms. I find our events are a great start especially if you are nervous as we are relatively small (depending on which one you pick) and we aren't as scary and have massive crowds compared to MCM. Usually, you know off the staff and attendees after going home.
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

Why Am I First
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Why Am I First » 10 Oct 2022, 19:15

Teresa wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 08:53
Awwww hope you both have a great time :)
Im taking my my friend and his 8-10 year old son so you wont be the only parent :)

Why Am I First
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Why Am I First » 10 Oct 2022, 19:20

Kyoto44 wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 02:20
What do I do? I have literally noone to go with. I'm 28 gay M and it's my first ever con. Is it normal to worry? Do you have to cosplay? I haven't got an outfit just a kimono I'm gonna wear with some sushi socks and naruto flip flops lol. I don't even know if I've posted in the right place. But if anyone else my age is going DM me, is DM even a thing on here. I'm so confused, anyway I love Japan and anime so yeah!
Don't worry Kyoto its always nerve wrecking the first especially by yourself.
You don't have to cosplay i mean i only wear anime/gaming tee shirts and hats.
Everyone's always friendly too so don't worry too much and if you wanna meet up i can bet everyone who is going will be happy too, they did too me at my last one at Manchester :)