Brighton vs London AnimeCon.

We run conventions and meetups throughout the UK. Check out our full calender at https://www.animeleague.com/our-events/

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ferefire, RedHat

stitch123
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by stitch123 » 07 Nov 2022, 10:46

Hi everyone,

Had a great weekend at the Brighton event  😄.

I took my 10 year daughter and it was our first event.  She loved looking round the merch, the shows (such as lip sync battle, Shao Dow etc) and even took part in the masquerade.

We do have the option to go to the London one in February.  Can anyone advise us if it is massively different or will we be seeing the same stuff?  I would imagine that it might be bigger overall (in terms of how many people attend) and that there may be more people dressed up in cosplay, other than that will it be much different?  I ask as it is a far larger expense to go to London and stay over for 2 days.

Thanks for any advice or comments.
Stitch

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 07 Nov 2022, 11:20

I've been going to comic cons in general for about 9 years at various venues, they're mostly all the same, loads of people walking round in costume, loads of cute kids in the cosplay masquerades, loads of celebrity guests appearing sometimes.

Also, Brighton's kind of a "Seaside" Town, so there's a few other bits to do for the kids once you've been to comic con, whereas London's a BIG City, sure there's tourist attractions and stuff to see, but the majority of it ain't cheap, particularly overnight accommodation.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 07 Nov 2022, 13:43

Hi there @stitch123.

A quick check with the app tells me that London Anime Con in February is a 3-day event, with Saturday as the main day, and yes, it is probably one of our biggest events, if not THE biggest. Unfortunately, it is too far for me to travel to so I can't speak from personal experience.

Much of the format will be the same, but with more live performances from music artists and appearances of voice actors (usually English/American voices from dubbed anime), and even more merchandise to browse. Lookout for "panels" ranging from Arts & Crafts to Professional Cosplay tips to fan lead appreciation meetings.

You can check out the AnimeLeague Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/20911010250
Download the AnimeLeague app from Google Play or The Appstore. (If you have the conbook from Brighton, you can scan the URL, or just open the conbook link in the Conventions timetable on these forums.)

Regular updates on guests and events get published on these forums, and on Facebook.

I think there are some youtube videos out there from people who attended last year, so those could give you an idea.

I hope this was of some help, and if any of the Con staff realise that I have missed something out, please fill it in for me.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 09 Nov 2022, 15:33

Like Oj said London is our biggest event with Brighton being the smallest event we run. You may see 1 or 2 similar dealers, but there are way more merchandise stands as we are over 4 floors :) You get to meet international guests as I have more a budget for bigger events. :)
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~