Let's talk about "they/them" pronouns

A place for LGBT+ anime fans to meet and talk about anime and feel connected and get support.
LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 23 Mar 2022, 21:27

Another debate I'm sorry!!! 

I'm still learning about pronouns and the rules anyway because I honestly don't care what you call by by she/her/they/them as long as you don't say I look like a man I'm happy haha :XD:

I saw a post the other day on Facebook and now it has me concerned really, but I wanted your opinions. All opinions are allowed as long as we don't insult each other (which we never do here anyway).

The Post - "Calling someone they/them when you know their pronouns aren't they/them is misgendering"

What if I'm just used to calling everyone they/them because it is gender-neutral? But can gender-neutral now be classed as transphobic? Or is it someone just being a little bit too OTT about pronouns? 
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 25 Mar 2022, 03:08

if you know their pronouns, use 'em

if you know them and don't want to use them for safety's sake or you're gesturing to people whom you don't want others to know the gender of, use they/them

really i 'd think someone getting fussy over being referred to as they/them when their pronouns are she/her might be a lil bit stuffy but overall i'd just ask if you're unsure and go from there

Akane Mayu
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Akane Mayu » 25 Mar 2022, 03:53

im fine with both she/her and they/them though i do have a slight prefrence to they/them

but thats just me every persone is diffrent

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 05 Apr 2022, 17:00

I think if you only refer to someone as them when you know they prefer she/he then that's a lil sus
but I think using it occasionally can be okay. It all just depends on context really
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt