The first LGBTQ+ retirement home!

A place for LGBT+ anime fans to meet and talk about anime and feel connected and get support.
LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 17 Dec 2021, 01:53

This time we're discussing the news that the UK's first LGBTQ+ specific retirement home is opening soon in London. The Tonic Housing project has been a long time in the making and will be aimed at providing a space for older members of our community, who have long experienced loneliness and discrimination in traditional retirement homes, a place where they can feel comfortable and receive care that celebrates their identity.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56252018

There's a lot to unpack here. My first thoughts are about why this kind of project is so necessary. Lots of older LGBTQ+ people finding themselves being isolated is the most obvious. But there's so much more: what does it mean to us to be in a community where we can truly be ourselves? Also, should there be similar kinds of projects for groups of younger LGBTQ+ people who find themselves lacking safe accommodation where they can be themselves? How do we feel about getting older as queer people.

Personally I think the project is an incredible step forward. It does also make me worry for all the older LGBTQ+ people out there who aren't receiving the love and care they deserve.

I guess here's a good place to shout out to Opening Doors, an incredible LGBTQ+ charity for older people which runs great socials and provides support. If you'd like to get involved, they have a befriending scheme which is awesome! Check it out here: www.openingdoorslondon.org.uk/

Oh, and here's a picture of the Tonic Housing project. Looks pretty fancy!

~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 12 Jan 2022, 21:41

I think the older generation are definitely the ones who need it the most, so i'm kinda glad this is a thing (and hopefully wont be needed in 50 years)
theres so many elders who are still straight up threatening to anyone LGBT
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt