Tears From Heaven | OOC

Whether you're part of a clan or not, this section is for roleplaying and sparring. Any genre including Fantasy, Sci-fi, Romance or Adventure.

Moderators: Expendable, PharaohAtem, Tanya

Gowi
Standard Member
United States of America

Tears From Heaven | OOC

Post by Gowi » 25 Mar 2019, 05:24

A Dystopian Sci-Fi RP

IC Thread

Solomar isn’t a normal planet.

There isn’t a culture on Solomar or really any history to speak of. Unless you think being dropped from the thermosphere and scrapping by on a half-destroyed planet is culture, the only thing you can say about Solomar is that it is the worst kind of hell.

It’s the hell I grew up on, anyway.

If you think about it, we’re kind’ve stuck. There is no transportation off the planet. There’s no contact with the greater galaxy. Our nonexistent overlords in the Imperium see us nothing more as a side effect of Solomar’s use as an imperial dredge; a glorified penal colony and garbage dump that once was the subject of one of the Imperium's many enemies. Now it’s just where they drop the prisoners that aren’t the most dangerous felons in the galaxy. Your run of the mill criminals, idiots, and problems. People who haven’t pissed enough important people off. My great grandfather was a smuggler who got caught with hand is the proverbial cookie jar. His sentence? Play a game of survival on a planet with little-to-no infrastructure defined by a few centuries of the Imperium dumping people they didn’t want to imprison indefinitely or reprogram in their little rehabilitation programs. We’re a planet defined by grifters, anarchists, and vagabonds.

And that's not even describing the wildlife.

Basically, Solomar sucks and we've got no choice but to survive here; god knows nobody expects us to.

Overview

Alright, this is the OOC thread for my first attempt at doing something laissez faire on AL.

This is the first time I’ve tried to participate in the roleplaying community here in a few years, though my last attempt ended at the character sheet stage. For those who are interested, this is loosely based on a sci-fi RP I did over a decade ago. The idea here is to keep things simple and rather accessible to jump in. So essentially, I’m not going to drop a lore book on you and expect a thesis for a character sheet -- though I do want a character sheet. I do understand that questions of the planet’s culture, species demographics, technology, and all of that will come up. I’ll answer as timely as I can when they come up.

Rules & Guidelines

Small Group: Given the nature of the premise, I think we're going to limit to eight players. I'll be accepting until we reach that cap. A simple guideline to a character sheet will be posted below.

Tone Consistency: Essentially, we’re trying to write a story about down-and-out people surviving despite the odds stacked against them. No superhero tropes. No magically-empowered demigods. This is a story with lower technology levels within the threshold of a science fiction setting. No powergaming. Doing so will get you an early grave.

Pacing: Activity will be left vague as social obligations such as employment, academics, and so forth take precedent over a shared hobby. But we should try to post with some regularity. Obligations will be reminded if needed, but this is a low stress endeavor so we shouldn't feel the need to make extreme demands regarding this. Just communicate your schedule when there are issues and keep me informed is the bulk of it.

Writing Ability: The writing level I expect is somewhere around medium expectations (high school-level equivalent). This means comprehensive understanding of basic grammar and spelling is expected, characterization is important, narrative is important, and detail behind those are appreciated. I’d like to see a few paragraphs, though if it fits a post that there is enough to respond to and react to within one paragraph than that’s fine, but one-liner’s will definitely be off-base. Keep with the fluidity and enjoy yourself; though quality posts don’t have to be textbooks. Quality over Quantity, yet have fun and make engaging moments of introspection and interaction. With that said, I will not be putting posts under extreme analysis nor will I be inciting a “word count”. So just use your personal judgment of quality and we’ll be awesome.

Etiquette: Rule number zero of my perspective is pretty simple; don’t test my patience or be an irredeemable jerk. Generally, the idea here is a simplified version of any sort of rules since we are all adults and we pretty much know the big rules — follow the host site’s rules, communicate, collaborate, and don’t be antagonistic towards others or at the very least keep the toxicity to a bare minimum. Playful banter and crass jokes are one thing; but actively making somebody feel unwelcome is another one entirely. There is a difference between being blunt and being tactless.

Roster

Cia Cieoxam Daloxia

Novi Larrinva Cemme

James "Blackjack" Noiret

Mox Solioun

Brock Sansos

Beatrix Sullivan

Character Sheet

Identity: The basics of your sheet, however you format it should have the decidedly sci-fi name of your character. Things about their identity including their ancestry and other things are entirely optional. The age of characters should be in the young adult range (18-25). We’re all young, relatively inexperienced, scavengers at the start, after all.

Character Summary: Your personality and life experiences can be pretty easily summed up. If I see something conflictive or thematically off, I’ll let you know. But just keep in mind of the low experience and low power levels. If your character is a good shot, they probably don’t have a reliable blaster pistol. If their skill revolves around rudimentary weapons or other practical skills, that’d be good to mention, but generally you don’t have to worry about it too much.

Inventory: At the end of the sheet an idea of what you think they have on hand (whether in their backpack or on a utility belt) is a good measure. Helps me see what kind of weapon kits people want to have among other things. Just keep in mind your tool and weapon quality will be not very high.

Kuro
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Re: Tears From Heaven | OOC

Post by Kuro » 25 Mar 2019, 05:30

Let's get this show on the road.

A short CS will be up ASAP. Post will probably be later.

Gowi
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by Gowi » 25 Mar 2019, 05:31

Kuro wrote:Image

Let's get this show on the road.

A short CS will be up ASAP. Post will probably be later.
Not particularly required, but having something to reference isn’t a bad idea.

Kuro
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Kuro » 25 Mar 2019, 05:33

Gowi wrote:Not particularly required, but having something to reference isn’t a bad idea.

You know how I love my CSes though.

Gowi
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by Gowi » 25 Mar 2019, 05:35

Kuro wrote:You know how I love my CSes though.
Do you think requiring a minimal sheet (name, gender, summary) would be ideal?

Kuro
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Kuro » 25 Mar 2019, 05:38

Gowi wrote:Do you think requiring a minimal sheet (name, gender, summary) would be ideal?

That's how the other Jump-in RP I'm currently in handles it, so I'mma say yes.

Gowi
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by Gowi » 25 Mar 2019, 05:54

Probably should think about the size of the group, too. I think if there's too many characters the whole "odds against them" theme might be harder to moderate.

Kuro
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Kuro » 25 Mar 2019, 06:02

I think maybe 8 or so is a good limit, yeah?

Gowi
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by Gowi » 25 Mar 2019, 06:10

Cia Cieoxam Daloxia | 22 | 5'6"

“I’m just a girl trying to make a living on a dying planet, okay? I’m sure the big man upstairs would get it. Now get out of my way before my crew shows up. This is my meal ticket, not yours.”

S U M M A R Y
[hr][/hr]
[left]Cia Cieoxam Daloxia was born in the western foothills of Solomar twenty-two years ago. She is descended from the Yren, a self-proclaimed pirate from the Fourteen Stars of the Daloxian Reach whom picked a fight with the Terran Imperium and lost. Such things are the backstories of every man and woman of Solomar.

Cia Cieoxam – CD to her friends – experienced a lot of the same things other kids of her generation did. The local warlord ruled their despondent community with an iron fist, offering food and clean water to those who “earned their keep”. For those that didn’t like following their respective warlord's system the answers were not very favorable. They could try to find a new place that was independent of a tyrannical despot or they could try to play a rival warlord against the other. Cia’s father picked the stupider option and attempted to not only play feuding warlords against one another but also trying to inspire a rebellion to install a new system. It was as Cia’s father said many times. Sometimes to make a difference you have to take a gamble on something everybody else thinks is a bad idea. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for him in the end. He was shot in the head. In front of Cia. When she was twelve years old. Wild, right?

Given that her only other immediate family went missing when she was a child, this left the twelve year old Cia orphaned. If not for the intervention of her closest friend’s family, she would have probably met her end on the streets. She took solace in fighting, acting out, fixing shit, and generally being a bad example to her foster family. In retrospect she got her newfound family in way more trouble than she wanted to, but she was wrestling with a demonic cocktail of rage, despair, and confusion. But somehow she got through it all and by the time she was getting her own dreams of grandeur she had come out as a relatively capable and charismatic young woman. She was still a liar and a thief, but man did people really believe her bullshit, even if it was just a second. But a second was all she needed to hit them from behind with something heavy.[/left]

T R A I T S
[hr][/hr]
[left]Born Leader: Cia has a confidence and charismatic presence that inspires people to believe in what she’s saying, albeit sometimes it’s only for a brief moment in time. She believes strongly in her plans, even if they are poorly orchestrated, and often it leads people to think her plans are a lot more sensible then they actually are. A lot of this comes naturally to Cia, perhaps due to her personality being very much an amalgamation of her father’s arrogance and her mother’s earnestness. Still, at the end of the day, she’s not going to fool someone who is smart enough to see the forest for the trees.

Impulsive Scavenger: A lot of Cia’s planning is very touch-and-go. Things she think she can make a quick buck off of… without contemplating the consequences. She claims she’s not so stupid not to get the world she lives in, but more that she refuses to play by the rules of people who don’t deserve to make the rules. That said, she thinks with her gut and acts sometimes without thinking how a scenario is going to go in five minutes. It’s probably why she relies on her bluffing skill when things go absolutely, unbelievably wrong.

Temperamental Brawler: When bluffing fails, Cia relies on brute force. Instead of picking a lot, she breaks it. Instead of out-thinking her opponent she out-fights them. One of her friends describes her as a “punch first, ask questions later” person and ultimately they aren’t far off. She fights dirty and she fights wildly; especially if someone decides to piss her off, which is an often occurrence since people like to namedrop her dead father and deadbeat mother to her face.

Crafty Gearhead: Cia spent a lot of her childhood fighting, getting into trouble, and taking machines apart piece-by-piece. As a result, she’s sort’ve good at reverse engineering and jury-rigging devices. A lot of this requires her to be patient or have a great deal of luck, but outside of fighting and lying it’s her most viable skill.[/left]

E Q U I P M E N T
[hr][/hr]
[left]Blaster Pistol, because duh. It's not in great shape; sometimes prone to the particle accelerator buffering resulting in the device jamming.

Brawler's Gloves. Scientifically hardened for better punching. Might also have artificial knuckles in the fibermesh.

Engineering Kit. Includes a multitool and a utility device. Not the hacking kind. The prying, melting, and breaking kind.

Spyglass. Not the pirate kind, bro. Think more along the line of a wicked visor that can see far. Yeah, like goggles. But cooler. Half-busted and in need of a real mechanic's touch.

Backpack. It's got some supplies for sleeping and eating, but mostly its to put useful items in. Like whatever you've got in your pockets right now.[/left]

Hokum_Y2K

Post by Hokum_Y2K » 26 Mar 2019, 03:22

MINNASAN, KONICHIWA~!

edit: jesus christ this image is huge, how do I delete that

edit 2: ok!

Gowi
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by Gowi » 26 Mar 2019, 05:00

Friend of mine is looking at this as something to do. So we've got a decent group building. Nice.

Kuro
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Kuro » 26 Mar 2019, 08:11

Novi Larrinva Cemme | 21 | 5'3"

"Will it fly?"

"Of course it flies! Might be missing less important components, but it'll fly."

——Novi, discussing a potential deal with another scavenger

S U M M A R Y
[hr][/hr]
[left]Those who fight for others suffer the most.

Novi—or Vi, as she typically prefers—would've had a very different life, had her great-grandfather not been convicted of a false crime. His offense? Assisting in a "rebellion" that had fought for better worker's rights. Shipped off to Solomar, the Cemmes were forced to make do on the harsh prison world for almost a century and a half before Novi was even born. Upon her birth, however, Novi remained unshaken by the circumstances of their upbringing. Life wasn't fair, and many nights went without warmth or food, yet Novi made a point to remain strong; so that she may one day possibly have a chance to explore the stars. With such ideals being likely impossible, however, Novi turned her attention to Solomar, seeking to better life on the forsaken world. If Novi couldn't realize her dream, then at the very least she could help others realize theirs.

By her eleventh year, the Cemme family found themselves taking in another—one of bond yet not blood: a child named Cia Cieoxam Daloxia. Their parents had been on good terms, and with the duo often choosing to hang out together somewhere, it was only natural that they would take the girl in. Despite being the youngest, Novi took to calling CD her "little sister" like a fish takes to water, especially when she is forced to pull her friend out of whatever scrap she gets into. Most of the time, however, Novi often found herself being roped along into whatever stupid shenanigans CD would come up with, which typically meant something dangerous.

Thankfully, neither CD or Novi, for that matter, wound up getting themselves killed before reaching adulthood. When CD eventually ran off to form her own crew, however, Novi chose to follow her friend-turned-sister into battle once more rather than return to a much simpler life back home. Someone needed to watch over the dork, after all.[/left]

T R A I T S
[hr][/hr]
[left]Glutton: If Novi had a drawback that hurt her more than anything, it would be her appetite. Long hours tinkering away at machinery and future projects leaves Novi hungry and often with a growling stomach, therefore she often spends more credits or bargains for extra rations to feed herself.

Phlegmatic Ideals: The hostile nature consumes all, turning men and women alike into feral beasts willingly fighting over scraps. While Novi is not afraid to defend herself from a potential foe, she believes that the current society on Solomar needs reformation. Why kill each other territory and broken junk when they should be looking to the stars instead? The trapped Solomarian people could make something of their planet—from repairing the infrastructure to seeking travel off world—though nothing can change while cruel warlords rule over the populace, forcing them to fight in their petty turf wars.

Tinker's Intellect: For someone born and raised on Solomar, scavenging and repairing junk is a necessary skill. Some, however, take it a step further, feeling the tinker life as their calling. A self-proclaimed master of engineering, Novi is handy at creating useful machinery and gear from various junk parts, though her curious mindset often causes things to go kaboom more than she wishes.

Tried and True: Unlike most denizens of Solomar, Novi is rather loyal to her fellow companions. Whilst her loyalty is mainly delegated to CD due to their familiar bonds, Novi isn't the type to shoot or stab someone she feels she can trust in the back for credits or other miscellaneous tokens and earnings.[/left]

E Q U I P M E N T
[hr][/hr]
[left]Backpack: A patchy heavy-duty backpack that Novi carries with her wherever she goes. Other than basic survival necessities, Novi mainly uses the backpack as storage for important pieces and parts she collects, like rare metals or computer wiring.

Flash Goggles: A slightly cracked pair of goggles specifically made to dull blinding, bright lights. While their intended use was to protect the wearer's eyesight from flash grenades, Novi has repurposed the goggles for welding and cutting away at metal scrap.

Key: An antique key, seemingly outdated by modern technology. Her parents say the key belongs to some ancient treasure buried by her great-grandfather on Knara Prime, though Novi, or the other remaining members of the Cemme dynasty, has little idea to its location, or even if the treasure actually exists. Often, Novi wears the key as a necklace, laced with heavy-duty string, yet she chooses to keep it hidden beneath her gear and out of sight from all but those closest to her.

"Junked" Rifle: A blaster rifle made from scavenged parts. The rifle is wrapped by cloth along the barrel and gives off the impression that it might just explode or fall apart, though Novi is certain that neither will happen.

Tool Belt: A bunch of assorted tools, though they are sorely mismatched and not from a specific tool set.[/left]

Gowi
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by Gowi » 26 Mar 2019, 12:40

That's the image you wanted after looking for an hour? Might need to try again there, chief.

Kuro
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Kuro » 26 Mar 2019, 13:17

Gowi wrote:That's the image you wanted after looking for an hour? Might need to try again there, chief.

[video=youtube;sYPrBZFGkMM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYPrBZFGkMM[/video]

I decided on a different image anyway.

Gowi
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by Gowi » 26 Mar 2019, 13:23

I bully because I care, obviously.