• Sad
  • Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

A Hobbit's Journal (Not quite there, and definitely not quite back again!)

After last weekend's LAGC madness where I did my first cosplay as Levi from Attack on Titan, I feel bit hooked on the cosplaying thing now, and so I thought I'd start a journal to give you guys updates on here rather than only on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/HowieHobbitGeekery/ ).

So for LFCC, I decided to modify the Levi cosplay a bit and dress as another character from Attack On Titan. There was no way I would come up with another cosplay within one week.....so another character I can actually relate to in real life would be Armin Arlert....bookworm and all round cleverclogs!

My hair is naturally Levi-ish (although not any more since I had it trimmed today), so I turned to CosCraft ( http://www.coscraft.co.uk/ ) for a wig at short notice. It was pretty damn quick, as I ordered on Monday and it arrived on Wednesday in the mail.
      Attachment 23228

The wig had the right bob shape, but was definitely way too long, even for Armin's long golden locks.

Attachment 23229

I was dreading trying to cut the wig - bearing in mind I'm a complete cosplay n00b, getting a wig was already a massive step for me - who'd have thought you'd have to cut it?!?! I decided to try and put off the wig cutting for as long as I can, even calling up hairdressers to see if they cut wigs!

In the meantime, I worked on getting those blue eyes. I don't know what sites you guys have found (am really open to suggestions!), but with such a short period of time, I needed somewhere that had the contacts on side and allowed pick-up. I found LenStore ( http://www.lenstore.co.uk/ ), which is based in South Wimbledon, and they seem to have an okay selection of lenses, along with coloured ones.

Attachment 23230

The ones I bought are FreshLook Colours coloured contact lenses, in sapphire blue. These are advertised as "opaque", so I figured since I have pretty dark eyes, to lighten them up, I wouldn't want a blending coloured lens, but rather an opaque colour (oh the joys of being a watercolour painter lol).

So having also forgotten to bring the wig out with me to the hairdressers today, and LFCC being tomorrow, I decided to brave the wig cutting. I'm actually rather happy with the result. Okay, so not professional perfect, but I think it's works for my first time. Would love to learn more about wig cutting though, so any tips would be appreciated.

Attachment 23231

Just a shame you can't really see the blue of the contacts in that pic. I'll get some hairspray from the 24-hour Tesco on my way to LFCC tomorrow so I can properly shape the fringe and give the sides a bit of texture.

So that's it....that's my Armin Arlert look!
      Last edited by HowieHobbit; 12-24-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Re: A Hobbit's Journal (Not quite there, and definitely not quite back again!)

So LFCC...my second time cosplaying, although it's only a slight change in my cosplay from LACG, I'm still classing it as my second cosplay.

The looks I received on the District Line from Upminster to Earl's Court were classic - people gave me such weird looks as I was strapping on the harness for my Armin Arlert cosplay whilst on the Tube. In the pic, you can really see the blue of the contacts (I'm beginning to like my blue eyes....maybe I'll keep them for a while, and try out different colours later on!).

Attachment 23238

I decided to leave the wig off until I got to Earl's Court, which was just as well because it was so crowded in the morning that you could barely move!!! This is me putting on an, "Hi, I'm Armin, and I'm a useless burden on my friends" look. The hairspray worked wonders to give the wig a bit more of a texture to make it more real/slightly messier. After all, you're not going to keep perfect hair killing titans, are you?

Attachment 23239

I thought I'd give a shout-out to The Factory Covent Garden ( http://www.thefactorystudios.co.uk/ ), which is a photography studio that was exhibiting at LFCC. They had a makeshift on-site studio and were taking shots. I got this one from them - I love the epic lighting, and the angle makes the salute seem even more kick ass.

Attachment 23240

So there it is.....Armin Arlert, cosplay number 2. Now time to plan number 3!!!

Ohhhh and I need to also mention that it was really nice meeting you in person at last, @PINK_RIBBONS !!!! I kinda geeked out a bit when you said, "Aww you really are a hobbit!" LOL
      Last edited by HowieHobbit; 07-13-2014 at 01:59 AM.

Just thought I'd put up 2 chibi sketches done by Kaci Star Designs (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kaci-...01656453216619 / http://kacistardesigns.tumblr.com / https://twitter.com/KaciStarDesigns) of me, but in as Armin and Levi.

I rather like the Armin one....maybe I'll have to cosplay him again some time, but wig cosplays are definitely best left for winter!!!

Attachment 23241Attachment 23242

@HowieHobbit YAY on making a cosplay journal!! Love how you assembled another cosplay so quickly, shows you definitely have the cosplay and con bug

You did a really good job with the wig cutting too, and the contacts definitely add an edge to it (I'm always super-sad that I can't wear coloured contacts). I missed so many people at LFCC yesterday cos it was so packed. I feel ya on the wig thing though and the heat, I was crewing in my Bellatrix cosplay so super-long and thick black curly wig and wow I was warm.
      Member of Bandursnatch Studios
      Cosplay crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Melmo View Post
      @HowieHobbit YAY on making a cosplay journal!! Love how you assembled another cosplay so quickly, shows you definitely have the cosplay and con bug

You did a really good job with the wig cutting too, and the contacts definitely add an edge to it (I'm always super-sad that I can't wear coloured contacts). I missed so many people at LFCC yesterday cos it was so packed. I feel ya on the wig thing though and the heat, I was crewing in my Bellatrix cosplay so super-long and thick black curly wig and wow I was warm.
      Thanks @Melmo ! It was rather dreadful in terms of crowd control yesterday at LFCC, wasn't it? Shame I didn't bump into you. How come you can't wear coloured contact lenses?

Does it officially count as my second cosplay then, even though the majority of the cos is the same? lol

Of course it counts as your second hehe.

I have astigmatism and need to wear prescription contacts to be able to see .. they don't make lenses that are coloured that fit my prescription lol.
      Cosplay crazy!

Avalien

Quote Originally Posted by HowieHobbit View Post
      I kinda geeked out a bit when you said, "Aww you really are a hobbit!" LOL
      haha, she says that to all the guys... well, to me at least too xD

Glad to see you making a journal here though, always good to have new cosplays to check out. I most likely did see you amongst the AoT group that was around at LAGC, but was so rushed, I forgot to say hi - apologies!

Photos you posted look great though & I share your love of contacts, though I only have red & purple at the moment

And wigs, yeah... I'm kinda glad in some ways I'm bald, as I might not be able to make it out of the flat some days when it's hot

Of course it counts as your second hehe.

I have astigmatism and need to wear prescription contacts to be able to see .. they don't make lenses that are coloured that fit my prescription lol.
      @Melmo , what prescription do you need? I have astigmatism too and mine were prescription. You should have a look at http://www.lenstore.co.uk/ . That's where I got mine and they seemed to have a lot of prescription ratings on theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalien View Post
      haha, she says that to all the guys... well, to me at least too xD

Glad to see you making a journal here though, always good to have new cosplays to check out. I most likely did see you amongst the AoT group that was around at LAGC, but was so rushed, I forgot to say hi - apologies!

Photos you posted look great though & I share your love of contacts, though I only have red & purple at the moment

And wigs, yeah... I'm kinda glad in some ways I'm bald, as I might not be able to make it out of the flat some days when it's hot
      Well, I think that's @PINK_RIBBONS ' prerogative considering her height lol. No worries about not having time - we should make a point of saying hi though at the next con we're both at, @Avalien !

Do you wear coloured contacts outside of cosplay? I'm almost tempted to start doing so lol

Avalien

I'm always tempted to wear coloured contacts outside of cosplay, but then I remember that when I HAD to wear prescription lenses I always had tired eyes at the end of the night & usually forgot to take them out before bed xD

And definitely must make a point of saying hi at the next event

My eyes hate contacts in general lol ... and cheers Howie for the link, may have to check it out. I do need toric lenses for both eyes and from a quick glance it doesn't give the option to change the toric bit on the coloureds lol. I'd have to dig out my prescription to check properly though.
      Cosplay crazy!

@Avalien and @Melmo , which are the next cons you're going to? I'm not sure about getting to Alcon as I'm probably not going to be able to make it for all 4 days of craziness, and I am London based, which kind of sucks for arranging accommodation and travel etc.

What are the next cons you guys will be heading to? MCM London in October? MCM Memorabilia Birmingham in November?

@HowieHobbit I know there will be a fair few AL people at Hyper Japan in London next weekend, but I'm going to MCM Manchester this weekend.

I'm also going to Glasgow Film and Comic Con to crew the cosplay area, then Alcon. Possibly MCM Expo in October but I haven't thought that far ahead yet lol.
      Cosplay crazy!

@HowieHobbit I know there will be a fair few AL people at Hyper Japan in London next weekend, but I'm going to MCM Manchester this weekend.

I'm also going to Glasgow Film and Comic Con to crew the cosplay area, then Alcon. Possibly MCM Expo in October but I haven't thought that far ahead yet lol.
      @Melmo , I'm not sure after LFCC this weekend gone, I could deal with another summer con - it's really put me off what happened in the morning on Saturday!!!

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information