• Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • View Poll Results: Which Mythical Fable get's your vote?

Voters
    9. You may not vote on this poll
    • Entry #1

0 0%
    • Entry #2 - The Little Girl Who Couldn't Smile

5 55.56%
    • Entry #3 - Baulk of Fox

4 44.44%

Exclamation Writing of the Month #7: Fable Myth Voting!

Writing of the Month #7:
      Mythological Themed Fable
      Pressure Test: 2 Weeks to Write & Submit

[Voting Rules]
      Post your vote with a sentence as to why.
      Vote in poll after posting.
      Stay constructive and polite.

NEXT Writing of the Month Event :: October 1st

Entry #1:
        Spoiler:  
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous 1
      Fable of Loss - Lucia's Fall.

Lucia, raw with jealousy, once saw fit to seek Sadius' perch for herself. Her attempts at calling out to Sadius were in vain, as the wind from over Likell's winds blew, and forever blow, strong on Mount Zjurabad and caught her words from their travels to his ears. She tried waving and hopping to get his attention until her own perch of stone began to shudder under the impacts; yet still he did not see. She tried asking the closer Lisette to pass on a message to Sadius, but the God of Thieving and Thirst merely stole her words. Angered at her inability to do what should be easy, Lucia started to climb up to Sadius. After many hours and many miles climbed, Lucia was no closer than before, but somehow further from her own perch.When Lucia eventually fell, she crashed right through her own perch and was cast from Mount Zjurabad to live amongst the mortals in eternal regret. During the fall, Lucia watched her perch reform, and a face that looked just like hers popped over the side and looked straight at Lucia.

Lust not for what others have, and instead appreciate what you do - one day you might not have it.

-------------------------------------

This spoiler is the back-drop for the Gods. Mythology is really large, and so this description could be huge, but I've tried to keep it as small as possible.
        Spoiler:  

The polytheist people of Zju'r have slightly under 700 Gods, the few mentioned in the Fable of Loss - Lucia's Fall are: Lucia is the Goddess of Lust and Greed, those overcome with vanity are often said to have been born under her star; Lisette, the Goddess of Thieving and Thirst, is also commonly appropriated a position in most love stories, as the main perpertrator of stolen hearts and romantic gestures; Likell is the God of Winds and Longevity- he is the main God of the long-lived nomadic Ganzt tribes who dwell upon his horizon-piercing meadows and plains; Sadius is the God of Beauty and Gallantry- he is the God under whom most warriors and purveyors of art dwell; Mount Zjurabad is the resting place of Zjurabad, The All Father- Zjurabad is beyond mere genders, and is the creator of all Gods, Time, and Beginnings and Ends.

The reason behind the last line where Lucia sees herself watching her fall is because a realm always needs to have a God, so when Lucia left the perch from which she should control her domains, Zjurabad had already condemned her to failure, keeping her from reaching Sadius. When a God leaves their perch, the will eventually be cast from the mountains, and another will be put in their place, that God's resolve strengthened by watching their other selves fail. Zjurabad believes in strength through continued perseverance and, should one fail to persevere, reaffirmation of strength through failure and retrying. As such, the peoples of Zju'r are headstrong, stubbon people.

Should a Diety be cast from the Mountains, and survive the fall, they shall be re-tasked to furthering mortals for all eternity. They'll live longer-than-average(for a mortal) lives, but have to be re-born everytime they die via any means. When reborn, their souls are put in to the next child born of viable race and body-type and they'll grow up slowly regaining their other live's knowledge and learnings.

That's why Lucia fell; she's been retasked.

If there's anything else missing (explaination-wise), say so in the voting section and I'll send an update to the LW Posting account thing.

Entry #2:
        Spoiler:  
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous 2
      The little girl who couldn’t smile

Once upon a time there was a little girl who never smiled. She was born with a frown on her face and growing up she never smiled or laughed like other children. She was sociable enough, in her own way, but children soon stopped playing with her because she never seemed happy.

One day the little girl decided to go on a journey to try and find her smile, she kissed her parents goodbye and waved farewell to her hometown before heading off to a life of adventure.

She hadn’t been travelling very long when she came across a sprite sitting on a toadstool.

“Hello little girl,” he squeaked, “where are you going looking so sad?”

“I’m looking for my smile,” she replied morosely, “have you seen it?”

“No, but I bet I can make you smile,” the sprite grinned, flapping his tiny wings lazily.

“Please try, and then I can go home.”

So the sprite flew up in the air and performed aerial tricks, whizzing through the air scattering fairy dust, flying at her head and stopping short then spinning away in a flash. He used every trick he could think of that usually made children laugh and clap their hands with glee. But still the little girl would not smile.

“I am sorry, but thank you for trying,” she said sadly.

Travelling onwards the girl reached a wide river and was just puzzling how to cross it when she heard laughter nearby. Thinking she might be able to find someone to help her, she followed the noise and came across a group of naiads and undine in a small bay out of the main current of the river.

“Hello little girl,” they cried when they saw her, “where are you going looking so sad?”

“I’m looking for my smile,” she said morosely, “but I can’t cross the river.”

“Well I can’t help you cross,” the biggest undine said, “but I bet we can make you smile.”

In unison the naiads and undine began to swim and play in the water, dipping their heads and waving their toes in the air. They did everything they knew that usually had humans smiling but the girl looked on with nothing more than a little frown.

“I am sorry everyone, but thank you for trying, I must find a bridge.” She waved sadly and carried on her way.

Following the riverbank a while she eventually came across a wide bridge that spanned the rushing expanse of water below her. Standing nearby looking into the water was a beautiful unicorn.

“Hello little girl,” he whinnied when he saw her, “where are you going looking so sad?”

“I’m looking for my smile,” she said morosely, “might it be on the other side of the river?”

“It might,” the unicorn nickered thoughtfully, “but I might be able to help you instead.”

“I don’t know...” The little girl was getting more doubtful with each creature she met, none of them knew where her smile was and they didn’t seem to be able to help her.

“Just get up on my back,” the unicorn told her kindly and so she did. He immediately began to trot up and down the bridge, back and forth, waving his long thick tail and flicking his ears. He pranced like a show horse and neighed loudly, but nothing he did could make the little girl’s mouth turn up even a little bit. Disappointed, he dropped her off on the other side of the bridge.

“I am sorry, but thank you for trying,” the little girl said, stroking the unicorn’s beautiful mane.

On the other side of the bridge was a deep forest and the girl entered with apprehension. The further she went the thicker the branches got and darker it seemed to be. After a while she began to get a sense that someone was following her so she turned around quickly and was surprised to see a goblin in the path.

“Hello little girl,” he hooted, “where are you going looking so sad?”

“I’m looking for my smile,” she quavered, fearfully, “have you seen it?”

“I have seen a great many things, but your smile isn’t one of them,” he said, “but if you’ll let me maybe I can make you laugh.”

“Oh goblin, please make me laugh!” The little girl was close to tears in her desperation.

Clapping his hands together with a determined air the goblin approached the little girl and then began to tickle her fit to burst. His long arms snaked around and his nimble fingers found every ticklish spot and though she squirmed and squirmed she didn’t let out a peep of laughter or even crack the tiniest of smiles.

“Well,” the goblin scratched his head in confusion, “that’s always worked before. If you follow this path you’ll come to a village. Maybe someone there has seen your smile?”

“I am sorry goblin, but thank you for the advice.” Hanging her head, the little girl carried on down the path.

After what felt like a lifetime the trees began to thin and she found herself walking into a village full of people, but nobody seemed interested in talking to her like the other creatures had been. The little girl was so lost in her thoughts she wasn’t watching where she was going and walked into the back of someone. As she fell to the floor with a bump she began to cry, as much from the despair of not being able to find her smile as the pain.

“Dear me! Why are you crying?” A hand reached down to help her up and she took it, crying all the while.

“I’m looking for my smile,” she sobbed, “but I can’t find it anywhere and nobody can help me, I don’t know what to do!” She cried harder and harder, rubbing her eyes with her hands to try and stem the flow but the tears kept coming.

“I’ll help you,” the boy said, and the little girl stopped crying in surprise.

“Really? You don’t want to just do something to make me smile?”

“That won’t help if you’ve lost it, now will it?” He smiled at her warmly and held out his hand once again, “come on then, let’s go and have a look together,” he said.

As she took his hand, the little girl found a strange feeling come over her. She had been on a long journey and had met a lot of people, but this boy was the first one who seemed truly willing to help her. Looking up into his kind face smiling down on her she felt her emotions rushing through her and her face twitched.

The little girl smiled, for the first time in her life, at the pure joy of having someone help her, selflessly, for no reason than for the pleasure of helping someone in need. She danced with glee, laughed and hugged the boy for his kindness. They travelled together back to her parents who cried with happiness at their daughter’s good fortune. The sight of their sad little girl smiling filled their hearts with joy and love and they gladly agreed to the boy’s request to marry their daughter. Her wedding was the most beautiful in all the land and her smiling face brought happiness to all who met her.

And the moral of the story is this: never shy away from helping someone, even a stranger, and never underestimate the power of a smile. You might just change someone’s life.

Entry #3:
        Spoiler:  
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous 3
      Baulk of Fox

Young a man walked his block.
      Round it every day.
      Now curious a fox came across.
      "Why around and around?"
      "For it is where I'm bound," he respond.
      Devilish a thought, the fox blocked his walk.
      The man stepped over the fox.
      Fox not detoured came around the next day.

Woman of beauty was along the path.
      Legs lower, hooting and howling.
      Young a man walked his block.
      Furious a fox return to foam.
      "There's a pretty lass, why pass?"
      "For it is where I'm bound he respond.
      "Why?" the fox said flaring his tail.
      "Its the path I choose."
      The fox stomped a foot.
      Fox not detoured came around the next day.

A brute stood in the way.
      "No you will stay," the brute boasted.
      "Not today," man replied.
      Fist after fist, punctuated the man's body.
      When the brute was done and huffing.
      "Are you done with your roughing?
      The man asked as the brute pasted out.

Furious fox returned to rant about.
      "Why stand your ground as your body was pound?"
      "For it is where I'm bound."
      "Why, when doing so riskes your life?" the fox retort.

Now the fox had food reason.
      For it was fox reason.
      As the fox was trying to find why he was bound.
      Was the hunted fox found.
      Unawear, was the fox, in line for a shot.
      Out of a sling, rock came hot.
      The man moved to block.

Scared the sling went away.
      Yet the fox stay.
      "For it is where I'm bound. If not you be found dead."
      He said, knowing this the end.
      Fox howl and cry.
      The sun itself sunk low to ask why.

"If I wasn't trying to stop his block.
      He be around to walk ." the fox baulk.
      The stars out, dancing about.
      Brightening the sky heard the fox's words.
      Knew what deeds to spur.

Starlight took the man before they ascend.
      Now a new star appeared in the sky.
      North star to show the way.
      Fox headed home with that as its guide.
      Seeing that normal routine was important as his chaotic tricks.
      Last edited by LW Submissions Captain; 09-29-2013 at 07:01 PM.

2 loli 4 u

Arty

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Re: Writing of the Month #7: Fable Myth Voting!

Hmm... I hate to say it but none of these entries were as enchanting as I'd hoped. The first one had potential, however, I didn't enjoy the way it was presented. Entry two also features a stimulating concept although the ending seemed rather cliche. Entry three... This one was particularly hard to follow. Still I find myself wondering where or why this man was bound so that helps it stand out along with its interesting structure and word choice so #3 GMV. Everyone had the right idea with their fables/myths, I just felt like they could've been executed much better.

art thread

Wibbly~Wobbly
      Hype Hype!

Awesome

Country
      UK
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

entry #2
      Though it does seem slightly cliched, I like cliches. Plus it reminds me of a book of Aesop's fables I had as a kid, reading similarly and providing the clear moral at the end as a short statement.
      entry 1 seems like it could have used a little more expansion, with a tad too much info needed in background research to understand it for my taste.
      entry 3 was a little hard to follow, I think due to it being presented more as a poem, with parts that don't fit well due to forcing to fit into the poem. Personally I think it might have flowed better as more normal prose, though that's just my opinion. That said, it was an interesting idea and way of presenting it, even if it wasn't to my personal taste/preference.

Creative Arts & Writing - You should go here!
      You're so far past the line, You've gone past the Medusa Cascade, through Narnia and landed smack bang in the middle of Mordor. Where you killed the cookie monster, dissected him, then tried to eat him before choking to death on his insides.

is Lurking >>;

zzzz

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Thanks for the votes ladies and gentlemen!

Need more voters.

So here are some mentions!

@Lilblossomcub @GJE @Pinkie Pie @Dr. Chuckles @Rukia @Firewolf @VaanDiablo @Kate Jr. @Vespy @Velveeta @Kilidath @thederus @Master of Vvardenfel @Expendable s @Jouro @theblackmist

SNOWBALL FIGHT!!!!!

Loved

Country
      USA
      AL Points

I really enjoyed entry three. I wish it would have flowed a bit easier.
      but all in all the symbolism in it was beautiful. Order and chaos.. fate, Life and death. It has a very yin yang feel to it.
      Along with showing that you just don't know how a stranger can influence your world. Or what your destiny is.
      So its got my vote.

^^^^^^^
      <3 Click it to become a member of the Pack!!! Always United - Never divided <3

Head Moderator
      ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

Depressed

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

The first had some interesting imagery but really much too short, too dense. I think this would have been better to hear why Lucia wanted Sadius' perch so badly, to hear the exchange between Lucia and Lisette. Basically do more to show Lucia's greed and lust. What made her think such a move would succeed, that she could take his perch?

The second is very entertaining, with some interesting character development. I liked how desperate she was when she met the goblin.

The third is interesting, with a good build up. But there was one bit of it -

Now the fox had food reason.
      For it was fox reason.
      As the fox was trying to find why he was bound.
      Was the hunted fox found.
      Unawear, was the fox, in line for a shot.
      Out of a sling, rock came hot.
      The man moved to block.
      Was this supposed to be 'Fox Season' in the second line? Otherwise the rest of this makes little sense. And "unaware" is mis-spelled.

I'm voting for #2.
      Last edited by Expendable; 10-03-2013 at 01:54 AM.

is Lurking >>;

zzzz

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Thank you guys so much! Wonderful feedback.

More voters my lovelies!!!

@Beex @jonny5 @Mouse. @Zen @Darksabre @Jacy Pane @Volos @Redalgo @Baron Cyddlu

[^._.^]
      R.I.P. Beex cat :(

Awesome

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Although I could predict how it would end, #2 reached my emotions more than the others did. It was like I could feel her happiness there at the end. And the moral is something I feel is very true in life. I'll be voting #2

Oh, and good job to all.
      "Cats should stick with other cats, it's only natural."

Sig by Ioreth

A&M ~ Hogwart's Clan ~ GD

is Lurking >>;

zzzz

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Thanks for the VOTES! :>

@Regal Zombeagle , where's your vote? D;

@Volos yours too. v-v

*Shifts to Dragon form*

Sneaky

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Number 2

it reminds me of someone or resemble me only being a male not female lol
      Originally Posted by RyuKai Lol some of the greatest art and poetry were done drunk

zzzz

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Truth be told, I genuinely liked all three. For me though, entry 2 takes it. It's not quite as ambitious as the other two, but it's well executed and well written. It's something I can imagine reading to my kids when I'm a parent

is Lurking >>;

zzzz

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Entry #2 wins. @LW Submissions Captain will reveal the contestants and I will pay everyone then. Thanks for participating and voting! Please submit works for Writing of the Month #8 - Halloween Special!

Charlottesville

Crying

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Which will be happening when?

Entry #1 was @VaanDiablo
      Entry #2 was @Scehryn
      Entry #3 was @Mykalwane

Apologies for the Delay.

Received 2 Submissions thus far for WoM #8

is Lurking >>;

zzzz

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Everyone has been paid.

Closing this now! <3

Thread Information