• Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • View Poll Results: Which 'Title' would YOU like to read first ?

Voters
    11. You may not vote on this poll
    • Azumanga Daioh / FLCL (Furi Kuri)

2 18.18%
    • Ginsekai No Shoumei / Puella Magi Kazumi Magica

0 0%
    • 2001 Nights / Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms

0 0%
    • Imadoki! / Little Devil Caf

1 9.09%
    • Eureka 7 / One Pound Gospel

2 18.18%
    • Black Rock Shooter / The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko

0 0%
    • A Distant Neighbourhood / Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

0 0%
    • Claymore / RahXephon

0 0%
    • Akira / Assassination Classroom

4 36.36%
    • Princess Tutu / Battle Royale

2 18.18%

Manga Book Club: First Title of Choice

Manga Book Club: First Title of Choice

Hey everyone, well we've reached that exciting time where we are going to be deciding the 'First' title for A&M's Manga Book Club.
      So, above is the poll that you will need to make your choice, it is important that you both take a look at the selection that we have provided and read the description before making an informed choice.

Don't worry if your title of choice does not get picked by the end of the voting session, there will be plenty of opportunities for it to be selected in future reads to come.

Due to the poll being limited to just 10 options, we have doubled up in order to fit the 20 titles in. This may confuse you a little but if you select your preferred title (which will include another) and then please specify which title you'd prefer which then will be tallied at the end. If you do not understand, then don't worry; feel free to send me a PM and I'll gladly explain.

Thank you to those who've already signed up, below is the list of suggested titles; any members can also take this opportunity to now also sign-up if you haven't already as once the poll is complete all participants will be listed and the fun will begin.

Click the 'Show' to reveal the chosen titles.

The Titles

Spoiler:  
      1. Azumanga Daioh
        Spoiler:  
      The story chronicles the everyday life in a high school of six girls and two of their teachers. It covers three years of tests, talking between classes, culture festivals, and athletic events at school, as well as time spent traveling to and from school, studying, vacations, theme parks and graduation.

Links: Link 1, Link 2

2. FLCL (Furi Kuri)
        Spoiler:  
      Naota's life isn't simple: he lives with his eccentric father and grandfather in a two-story house above a family-owned bakery, his older brother's ex-girlfriend starts making extremely suggestive passes at him... and an impish, playful alien smacks him in the head with a bass guitar and then infuses herself into his family.

3. Ginsekai No Shoumei
        Spoiler:  
      Alza lives alone on a desolate snowy plain. One day, Leah, a sorcerer from the magical city collapses near his house. Alza forbids Leah from using magic in his presence and shows her how beautiful life can be outside of the magical world. But, why does Alza hate magic, how did Leah get outside the magical city, and what will happen when Leah returns home?

4. Puella Magi Kazumi Magica: The Innocent Malice
        Spoiler:  
      Kazumi is surrounded by the darkness, with a voice calling out to her from somewhere. After she escapes from the darkness that was the inside of a suitcase, what appears before her eyes are an unknown room and an unknown man. In that incident, what came across her mind were fragments of her memories.

5. 2001 Nights
        Spoiler:  
      A collection of short stories that look to mankind's exploration of space, and examine the possibilities that we could face when we decide to take those first fateful steps into the unknown.

6. Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
        Spoiler:  
      What impact did World War II and the dropping of the atomic bomb have on the common people of Japan? As the characters continue with everyday life, the shadow of the war and the atomic bombing linger ghostlike in the background. This manga is made up of interconnected short stories.

7. Imadoki!
        Spoiler:  
      Tanpopo Yamazaki is a girl with a dream of attending a high school in Tokyo. Yet when her dream comes true and the famous Meio High accepts her, all isn't what it seems. Students are sorted only by family connections and wealth, meaning friends are nowhere to be found. Taking matters into her own hands, she starts a gardening club.

8. Little Devil Caf
        Spoiler:  
      Chasing after the super handsome Chika whom she fell in love with at first sight, Sakura ended up as a waitress for a mysterious cafe that only serves female customers. In order to get close to Chika and discover something more, good or bad, what would Sakura do? Part-time job? Guy?

9. Eureka 7
        Spoiler:  
      A 14-year-old boy who lived with his mechanic grandfather in a backwater town. Every day he dreamed of being with the mercenary "Light Finding Operation (LFO)" aircraft pilot group "Gekkostate" and riding "Trapar" particle waves-- a sport called "reffing"-- with their charismatic leader Holland, especially when faced with his father's acclaimed past or his grandfather's desire to protect him.

10. One Pound Gospel
        Spoiler:  
      Hatanaka Kosaku, a hopeful boxer, has a mean KO punch. Unfortunately, his dietary willpower is weak, and he eats even greasy hamburgers right before a bout. As a result, he has to compete in higher weight classes, and as soon as he takes an abdomenal punch, he vomits, as he tries to grapple with his weak will, he meets Sister Angela, a novitiate at a local convent. While Sister Angela strives to help Hatanaka in his endeavor, he seems to make her training to be a nun more difficult.

11. Black Rock Shooter: Innocent Soul
        Spoiler:  
      The story follows a girl in the "Threshold", a world beween Heaven and Earth. "Impure souls" — those that could not ascend to Heaven with the burden of their own weight — have drifted to this world of constant warfare.

12. The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko
        Spoiler:  
      Although she doesn't get along with people very well, Kanoko considers herself a perfect "observer". Her hobby is observing the students in her third year junior high class and keeping a journal of the classroom drama. But what will happen when Kanoko becomes involved with some of her classmates?

Links: Link 1

13. A Distant Neighbourhood
        Spoiler:  
      After a tiring business trip, a 48-year-old businessman took the wrong train and, instead of heading his home at Tokyo, the train took him to his birthplace at Kurayoshi, Tottori Prefecture. Being slightly drunk, he allowed himself to be taken back to his hometown, followed by visiting his mother's grave. There, he suddenly felt sleepy, and when he woke up he found himself in the same graveyard -- 34 years ago, wearing his middle school uniform. Why is this?

14. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
        Spoiler:  
      There exist familiars who have the power to grant one wish to a chosen girl. However, in return that girl must then become a magical girl and fight against witches, evil creatures born from curses that are responsible for murders and suicides. A schoolgirl named Madoka Kaname and her friend Sayaka Miki are approached by a familiar named Kyubey and a magical girl named Mami Tomoe with offers of becoming magical girls.

15. Claymore
        Spoiler:  
      In a world where monsters called Yoma prey on humans and live among them in disguise, humanity's only hope is a new breed of warrior known as Claymores. Half human, half monster, these silver-eyed slayers possess supernatural strength, but are condemned to fight their savage impulses or lose their humanity completely.

16. RahXephon
        Spoiler:  
      A mysterious orb envelops the city of Tokyo. All forms of communication are severed, leaving the inhabitants of the newly dubbed Tokyo Jupiter ignorant to their fate. Along with the United Nations, a special organization known as TERRA is formed: their mission is to liberate Tokyo from the otherwordly MU -- those responsible for Tokyo s capture.

17. Akira
        Spoiler:  
      It’s the year 2038. A police state, scheming politicians, religios sects, revolutionaries and a secret scientific project all combine to produce an explosive mixture in Neo-Tokyo. The rival groups all have their eyes on one prize: control of Akira, a boy of such destructive psychic ability that he has been held in cryo-stasis for over 30 years. The release of Akira forces all of the groups to make their move.

18. Assassination Classroom
        Spoiler:  
      The students of class 3-E have a mission: kill their teacher before graduation. He has already destroyed the moon, and has promised to destroy the Earth if he cannot be killed within a year. But how can this class of misfits kill a tentacled monster, capable of reaching Mach 20 speed, who may be the best teacher any of them have ever had?

19. Princess Tutu
        Spoiler:  
      Ahiru wishes to become a beautiful ballerina, but her two left feet always get in the way of her dreams. All of that changes when she is given a magical pendant and is suddenly transformed into Princess Tutu, a graceful dancer who is lighter than air. But not all is well for the crowned princess of pirouettes. The boy of her dreams has a broken heart, and Tutu must collect the shattered pieces to make her beloved Mytho whole again, before a darker dancer takes his heart away forever.

20. Battle Royale
        Spoiler:  
      In the future, random Jr. High School classes are chosen to compete in a game called Battle Royale. The rules: only one student can survive after 3 days on an island or else they all perish. Weapons are handed out and each student is sent out into the field alone and unprepared for the horror that awaits them. The classmates turn upon themselves in a battle for survival, treaties are made and broken, and former friends become foes as the relentless countdown continues.

Participants

@Ioreth | @Kei. | @Sakurazukamori | @GJE | @Yuri | @OnyxReaper
      @RavenzMatteo | @Expendable | @Briar Rose | @n00j | @Joe Brookes
      @Tobi_Uchiha | @RyuKai | @Moulders II
      Last edited by Indx; 08-08-2013 at 07:06 PM.

* NEW * Manga Book Club: ONE WINTER - Join In with Us !

A&M Monthly Viewing - Coming Soon !

[ Otaku Lounge | Guidebook | Events | Assistant Scheme ]

Do you live in North or Mid-Wales ? Would you like to start a 'Meetup' ?
      If so, you can PM myself or register your interest at Meetups, Events and Clubs

Bored at work

Geeky

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Re: Manga Book Club: First Title of Choice

Eureka 7 / One Pound Gospel gets my vote

2 loli 4 u

Arty

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Which did you prefer of the two, Sakura?

art thread

I've voted for 'Little Devil Caf'

My biggest fears make the world weep

Innocent

Country
      UK
      AL Points

A lot of the books sounded vaguely interesting, so I'm not too bothered about the result. That said, the snippet about Akira appealed at the time of writing this post.
      It doesn't matter how undignified the means, if you get the results, and don't compromise on your morals.

Please ONLY vote if you are participating in the event, we now have 5 votes and only 3 members stating which title they would like to read. Can those members who voted please state which title they'd like otherwise your vote will not count. If you are having any problems understanding anything, please feel free to get in touch

LOVE AMIME?? SUPPORT OFFICAL RELEASES!!

Amused

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Azumanga Daiho, a good comedy can turn a frown upside down.

So many white Rabbits....

Annoyed

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Akira I have always loved that story one of the first adult type animes Ive watched, but I still need to finish the manga

Bored at work

Geeky

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ioreth View Post
      Which did you prefer of the two, Sakura?
      I never read the manga but I've seen an episode or 2 of the anime for Eureka Seven, enough to make me interested

Head Moderator
      ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

Depressed

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Azumanga Daioh / FLCL (Furi Kuri) is the pair I voted for! Of the two, I thnk Azumanga Daioh is a good first read.

^ ___^
      Last edited by Expendable; 08-08-2013 at 07:10 PM.

RP dates GRRRRRRRRR XD

Annoyed

Country
      Australia
      AL Points

Assassination classroom is amazing (I love the current part where they're taking their exams it really well done and so interesting)
      After a certain conversation I've decided to change my signature to this

don't click this link...

Thanks to those who chosen their preferred title (by voting), I'd appreciate anyone who signed up to also vote for their choice and anyone else who's interested can take the opportunity to register their interest and also vote. We only have a short amount of time left (tomorrow) before the poll ends ... so join in on the fun !

As always, any questions please feel free to ask and look forward to our first title read

3DS: 1246-9040-1036, feel free to add me.

Bemused

Country
      Bahamas
      AL Points

I've voted for Akira/Assassination Classroom; I can honestly say both of those are worth the time invested.

Though out of the two, I'd prefer Assassination Classroom.

Thread Information