• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Medaka Box [AD/S -Advocate Title/Spoilers]

Welcome to the fourth of series of threads commanded by your resident Anime and Manga Assistant, Raiji Magiwind. This thread is one of the series I have opted to Advocate for the Spring 2012 season, as part of the "Anime Advocates" part of the A&M Assistant Scheme.

This title I watch via Crunchyroll.
      Crunchyroll Page: http://www.crunchyroll.com/medaka-box

The fourth one up of the Spring 2012 season I have advocated is the series "Medaka Box"; Japenese- めだかボックス. The series is an anime based off a manga of the same name. It is written by Nisio Isin with art by Akatsuk Akira. It is currently planned to air for 12 of episodes. GAINAX is the ones taking this show under its reigns, with no English lisence backer at this time.

Series Synopsis: --From MyAnimeList
      Kurokami Medaka, a first year, is elected as Student Council President, and the first thing she does is establish a suggestion box, later dubbed by students the "Medaka Box". Medaka encourages students to submit any problem to the box without hesitation and promises to take on any issue from anyone.

Since Medaka won the Student Council elections with a staggering 98% of the vote, she ends up as the Council's only member. She asks her childhood friend, Hitoyoshi Zenkichi, for help and he grudgingly agrees, becoming the Student Council's lowest ranking member. Soon Medaka recruits two more people to the Student Council, the former judo club member Akune Kouki as secretary and the current swim club member Kikaijima Mogana, on loan for 300 yen a day, as treasurer.

Now the Student Council members spend their days solving the problems submitted through the Medaka Box, whether they be hooligans in clubs where they don't belong, girls who need help writing love letters or people who've lost their pets, gradually earning the respect and admiration of the entire school.

As Crunchy announced getting it just after the first episode came out, I shall give you a double header....

Episode 1 Summary: (Air Date 4-5-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 1
      "Box 1 "Student Council In the House!"
      Kurokami Medaka has become student council president at Sandbox Academy, despite being a first-year. One of her campaign pledges was the institution of a suggestion box, and the first request is to chase out some delinquents who have taken up residence in the kendo dojo. Medaka enlists her childhood friend Zenkichi and the student council moves into action and heads for the kendo dojo.

Personal Thoughts:
      An interesting first episode. The main character is a bit crazy to me, though she is sort of a tsundere type it look to be. I could see the series being something interesting, but we are still a bit early on to decide if the series will be good or not....

Episode 2 Summary: (Air Date 4-12-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 2
      "Box 2 "Are you the culprit? / But of course, it's me!"
      A new request has been submitted to the suggestion box. The request from Ariake-senpai is to identify the culprit on the fiercely competitive who has been giving her grief. After Zenkichi is blown away by Medaka's astounding powers of deduction, the student council, with information provided by Shiranui, moves to the track to take action.

Personal Thoughts:
      Another interesting if odd episode. Right now the series doesn't feel like it has any real rhyme or reason to it, but fortunately I have read some of the manga and know it gets a bit more interesting later on. I have a feeling though they won't get to that point of the manga in the anime in the limited episodes they got for this series, unless they plan to due more then one season.

-------------
      So feel free to come in and discuss, ask questions, post favorite images (links preferred for larger images please) and so on. Each week, I myself will add my review and thoughts for the recent episode and at the end I will post a final review and overall score for the series itself. In between though feel free to share your own thoughts and discussion on the series.

**Please be aware the synopsis for each episode is the official synopsis quoted from the site I watch the series on, with the overview of the series synopsis quoted from ANN or MyAnimeList. Personal versions of the synopsis will be listed below before the Personal Thoughts when I come up with one for each, and will supplement the official synopsis.

Also please keep in mind, that we try to aim to watch these titles via legal streaming sites (when possible) such as Crunchy, Viz, Nico Nico (English Beta site) or Funimation, among others, so we may follow there release schedule for the legal releases of the stream when we can. So please be patient if you for some reason see them out before elsewhere. e as Advocates will add the newest synopsis when they are released via our choice sites release schedule or within a few days after, dependent on if we are not exhausted from jobs, uni/collage or other real life obligations.

Meanwhile please keep your eyes open for the other Anime Advocated titles of the Spring 2012 Season by your A&M Assistant, (Your AL name). The other titles under my Advocation for Spring 2012 season are are:
      Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? Jigoku Hen --Just waiting for Funimation to begin official LEGAL simulcasting...
      Hiiro No Kakera
      Accel World
      Zetman
      Last edited by Raiji Magiwind; 04-28-2012 at 03:10 AM.

The Alchemist's Whimsical Journal || The Alchemist's Experimentation: AL CA Journal

Supreme Button!

Innocent

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Re: Medaka Box [AD/S -Advocate Title/Spoilers]

I heard ages ago that this was being made and figured it wouldn't work too well as an anime because the beginning is pretty different to the later sections.

I did like the first ep though, so hopefully it'll go far enough to get into one of the main arcs. I'm doubtful though considering the pace

speedlolita

I dropped this half way through the first episode.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 3 Summary: (Air Date 4-12-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 3
      "Box 3 None of your business!! \ As you wish, Medaka-san!!"
      Zenkichi has been dubbed “The Club Crasher” after constantly visiting the sports and martial art clubs. The only club he hasn’t crashed is Judo. A request from Nabeshima Nekomi, captain of the Judo Club, suggestion has put Zenkichi on the spot light.

Personal Thoughts:
      We're moving along, ready to potentially recruit the next member of the Student Council. things are slowly getting a bit interesting, though the pace so far is still a bit slow for the series. If anything, I hope they decide to do more seasons beyond the first, as this series to me is something similar to Reborn as far as pace...you got to make through the first dozen or two episodes before the shot really starts to hit the fan as one might say...and things begin to actually get interesting. I can see this show following a similar style....

The Alchemist's Whimsical Journal || The Alchemist's Experimentation: AL CA Journal

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 4 Summary: (Air Date 4-25-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 4
      "Box 4 Make your choice!! \ If you're going to make a wish..."
      Zenkichi is down 9 points. One more point against him and he has to quit the Student Council. What can a normal person do against a Judo genius? Medaka sends the newest member of the Student Council on their first suggestion box assignment, the results raises question if they are prepared to be a part of Medaka’s Student Council.

Personal Thoughts:
      Zenkichi manages to defeat Akune, but in the end Akune joins the council anyways, bringing the membership to three. Meanwhile the latest request to the council is assigned to be taken care of by the councils newest member.
      I find the sort of subtle banter between Akune and Zenkichi amusing, cause it a little like a macho thing going but with that sad puppy effect.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Bad Raiji...bad... nearly forgetting about your Advocate stuff....@_@ ... well more like passed out cold in the middle of watching them a few times due to work pretty much -_-'

Anywho two episodes for Medaka Box...

Episode 5 Summary: (Air Date 5-2-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 5
      "Box 5 Win Your Earnings!"
      Sandbox Academy has more clubs than money, and with each club asking for a budget things are getting heated at the Student Council office. A suggestion about using the new indoor pool to hold a social event gives the council an idea. But could also lead to sharks in the water.

Personal Thoughts:
      The games begin in an effort for the various clubs to earn the budget increase for there club. The episode was interesting if not amusing, though I find the swim team's three sharks interest almost like Scrooge McDuck wanting to swim in a pile of money humorous.

Episode 6 Summary: (Air Date 5-9-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 6
      "Box 6 I don't expect you to understand."
      The swim team is dominating the aqua club meet by using any means necessary. Such tactics have earned the ire of Medaka. What she does next will shock everybody and change the student council.

Personal Thoughts:
      With this round, the Treasurer is appointed. And things shall soon grow interesting I feel, though not before a little more general insanity ensues first.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 7 Summary: (Air Date 5-16-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 7
      "Box 7 Does Everyone Do This? \ My own tune!!"
      After walking in on Kikajima changing in the student council room, the mood has become awkward. With Medaka and Akune out, what will these two talk about? Yabaru the artist has called upon Medaka to model for competition piece, but things are never that simple.

Personal Thoughts:
      I think one of the few things I like about this series, which has grown on me is the fact of all the weird and random shit that happens. I also wonder why by now, the girls don't lock the door if there gonna change in the council room... I mean after all, don't try to kill the two male student council members for walking in on you if you can't lock the door while changing...>>

Soma

It's pretty sad. I've been reading the manga for this and it's gotten to a certain genre shift where I'm really enjoying it.

Sad that this show is only scheduled for 12 episodes so it'll probably never get to that point.

I dropped this back around episode 3 so whatevs.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Yeah the number of episodes is kinda small...I am almost hoping that they plan to do another season or something at least....

speedlolita

This seems to have the support of the Japanese. As usual, they have horrible taste.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 8 Summary: (Air Date 5-23-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 8
      "Box 8 I will crush Kurokami Medaka!!"
      The Student Council has got themselves on the radar of the Disciplinary Committee. Onigase Harigane aka Onigase the American Handcuff has taken upon herself to correct the Student Councils rule breaking ways.
      Personal Thoughts:
      Now things are beginning to get a little interesting as the show rounds into teh last handful of episodes. Based on the way it feels its going, I see this likely picking up another few seasons, if it gonna cover the arcs of the manga in some sort of completeness. It look like we have begun the Enforcers arc with this one...

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 9 Summary: (Air Date 5-30-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 9
      "Box 9 It's not justice if you don't go overboard!"
      Call it bad luck or fate, but on her way to handle another request, Medaka meets the Disciplinary Committee leader, Unzen. His way of solving problems involves violence, the more of it the better. And he views the current student council members a problem to the school.
      Personal Thoughts:
      Things are beginning to get insane as we deal with Unzen. The series itself is starting to get interesting though based on the number of episodes, which it's slated for 12, we're only gonna get a bit more before it ends. I would assume this show is probably gonna go with another season or so at least...hopefully.

Episode 10 Summary: (Air Date 6-6-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 10
      "Box 10 I will not forgive you!!"
      Medaka has managed to save everyone without injuring anybody. This has caused Unzen to accelerate this plan to destroy the Student Council. The next time he and Medaka meets, there will be explosions
      Personal Thoughts:
      The shit has officially hit the fan as Medaka enters War God Mode, and prepares to pretty much kick Unzen's ass. Things are now getting interesting. Look forward to the next episode, though there's only two episodes left. I am going to assume, more like hope they actually do more seasons.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 11 Summary: (Air Date 6-13-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 11
      "This Is the End!!"
      Medaka can no longer contain her rage, if she can’t save Unzen she will have to destroy him. Will the other members of the Student Council be able to stop her
      Personal Thoughts:
      Medaka manages to stop Unzen, though she pretty much took down part of the school building in the process. Fortunatly the rest of the members where able to stop her, though she did manage to stop Unzen. Now the team must move forward without her for a while as she recovers in the hospital.

Episode 12 Summary: (Air Date 6-20-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 12 -FINAL EPISODE
      "Even Without Kurokami Medaka"
      Even without Medaka, the student council must go on.
      Personal Thoughts:
      The series ends on an interesting note, though there is hints it will lilely continue, which I do feel is good, as the first season round off with the end of the Clash With the Enforcers Arc, so I would assme when the show decides to return it will start off with the Flask Plan Arc....

-------------------------

ADVOCATE FINAL REVIEW FOR MEDAKA BOX
      By Raiji Magiwind

Medaka Box
      Original Story/Plot - Nisio Isin (Story), Akatsuki Akira (Art) | Being Serialized in Shounen Jump (Weekly) | Genres: Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Martial Arts, Romance, School, Shounen

Overall Synopsis of Series
      Quoted from MyAnimeList
      When newly elected Student Council President Medaka Kurokami institutes her idea for a suggestion box where people can submit problems that need to be solved, she's expecting things like rescuing lost puppies and giving advice. What she and her best friend Zenkichi find instead, however, are the first hints of an unbelievable secret, and their school, Hakoniwa Academy, and Medaka herself are somehow at the very center of the growing maelstrom! As what seemed like an innocent past time turns into a dangerous game, Medaka and her recruits to the Student Council discover new depths to both themselves and their own unexpected abilities. And then things get really out of control!
      Plot/Story
      The series here starts off as some random off the wall school anime, but don't let it fool you, as even though things in this season seem slow and just odd, it is quite literally but only the beginning of the real insanity.

Total Stars: 4 of 5
      The series thus far starts off kinda slow, but this is but a sampling of what Medaka Box is really all about. Once you get to the end of this season, you can see that the series is much more then just a random school anime.

Characters
      --Medaka Kurokami--
      Medaka is an incredibly beautiful and talented first year student. She became Hakoniwa Academy's Student President as she managed to get 98% of the student body's support. One of her pledges during her campaign was to set up a suggestion box (which later became known as the Medaka Box), along with her childhood friend Zenkichi, goes out to solve any and all problems that comes through.***

She is very confident and isn't ashamed of any part of her body at all. She is extremely intelligent and can understand all her subjects well. She has a positive outlook on everyone and everything surrounding her.***

Medaka sees it as her job to enhance the national prestige.***

--Mogana Kikaijima--
      The Student Council Treasurer. She is originally the ace of the swim team, befriending Yakushima (the swim club's captain) and Tanegashima (the swim club's vice captain). All three had an incredible obsession with money for personal reasons and want to gain enough money to fill a pool and swim in it. When Kikaijima was a child, her father left because the family was in debt, and her mother became sick from working herself in to the ground. All the people that Kikaijima had thought were friends left her because her family had no money. Kikaijima believed that "anyone would be sad if they lost their wallet, but if we died, nobody would care." Medaka corrects her by saying that if they died, she would be sad for them. Afterward, Kikaijima is recruited as the treasurer, and is the only member of the group who is paid for her job.
      Though Medaka successfully reforms Kikaijima from her old ways, it still does not keep her from being obsessed with money. Shortly after she joins the Student Council, she charges Zenkichi for accidentally seeing her changing and then again for insulting her and one last time for saying she had a great body. She develops strong relationships with the Student Council members, particularly Medaka and Zenkichi, after being encouraged by Yakushima and Tanegashima to make friends outside of the swim club. Like Akune, she is regarded as a "special" and is one of the school's many scholarship students. Kikaijima has an incredible lung capacity, allowing her to hold her breath for a month if she chooses. She can also focus her voice as a sound cannon and destroy physical objects with ultrasonic shrieks.

--Zenkichi Hitoyoshi--
      The male protagonist, childhood friend of Medaka, and the Student Council General Affairs Manager, reluctantly joining for the sake of protecting Medaka; in the pilot chapter, Medaka assigns him to become the Vice President. Zenkichi always shows enthusiasm toward Medaka’s cause for helping others and will punish anyone who opposes that cause. It is later revealed that he is the one who reformed Medaka into her current personality. It is implied he has feelings for her. Little is known about Zenkichi's past except that he has been with Medaka since they were two years old. The relationship between Shiranui and Zenkichi is frequently commented on by their classmates, often negatively, on how they interact with each other. Shiranui has commented that she is only friends with him when she is in the mood. Ironically, Shiranui's grandfather notes that Zenkichi is probably the only person who can get along with Shiranui. Zenkichi eventually reveals his feelings directly to Medaka before sacrificing himself to destroy Kumagawa.

--Kouki Akune--
      The Student Council Secretary and the oldest member of the Student Council, as he is a second year while Medaka, Zenkichi, and Kikaijima are in the first year. Originally part of the judo club, Akune has been infatuated with Medaka since middle school and hates Zenkichi for being able to spend so much time with her. In middle school, he had been a violent delinquent known as the "Destroyer" and had been assigned by Kumagawa, the president of the middle school Student Council, to beat Medaka. While she was injured, she did not fight back; Akune continued until Zenkichi gathered a group of Medaka's supporters to avenge her. When Medaka stopped Zenkichi from hurting Akune, Akune immediately developed feelings for her, which she refuses, and gradually becomes less violent and shows little desire to actually hurt others.
      Because of his natural fighting abilities, Akune is known as the "Prince of Judo" and the star of the judo club. Because the captain of the club, Nabeshima, despises natural genius, she arranges a match between Zenkichi (whom she favours) and Akune in order to recruit Zenkichi to succeed her as captain of the judo club if he loses to Akune, who will join the student council. Akune loses the match, but is still recruited into the Student Council after Nabeshima tells Medaka that Akune has beautiful handwriting. Both he and Kikaijima are considered to be 'specials', above average, but not quite abnormal. It has been said that Akune's ability is being able to copy other peoples abilities, but to a lesser extent.***

Total Stars: 4.5 of 5
      Even though the characters seem a bit odd, the fact there is still a lot of untapped potential that we don't see in this season which will hopefully be elaborated on more as the series continues.

Art/Theme

Total Stars: 4.5 of 5
      Surprisingly the art for the anime of Medaka is interesting and sometimes bright and crisp. Meanwhile fights are insane and there are a lot of odd things one notes in the series.

Overall/Closing Comments
      Even though the season was only 12 episodes, I think it has set up to be an interesting series, if it continues on the raw path its on. Mind you be warned getting through the first season may be hard for some, but once you do, you'll be past the Enforcers Arc and ready for the start of where the shit really hits the fan with the Flask Plan Arc. There is already plans for a second season, and with it I do believe is when we will start getting to where things in Medaka Box get interesting and one will also see that the series is more then just a a crazy fanservicy school based thing it appears to start off as.

Total Stars for Series Overall: 4.5 of 5
      Likelyhood to Recommend:
      YES
      Last edited by Raiji Magiwind; 06-30-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Soma

probably gonna forget this season happened and watch season 2 whenever it hits since the flask plan arc was pretty great.

at least apparently there was a preview for my favorite character at the end of the last episode. Hopefully Naked Apron Sempai gets some screen time too.

Banned
      deleted for obvious reasons

Angry

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by speedlolita View Post
      This seems to have the support of the Japanese. As usual, they have horrible taste.
      i'm certain the feeling is mutual

nah but this does seem kind of stupid is this one of those shows that's intentionally stupid or is it just an amalgam of bad ideas thrown at a page to see what sticks

because i could watch the former, but if it's just there to sell tits and swords or whatever i'm not gonna waste my time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information