• zzzz

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Zetman [AD/S -Advocate Title/Spoilers]

Welcome to the second of series of threads commanded by your resident Anime and Manga Assistant, Raiji Magiwind. This thread is one of the series I have opted to Advocate for the Spring 2012 season, as part of the "Anime Advocates" part of the A&M Assistant Scheme.

This title I watch via Viz's Anime Site.
      Viz Page: http://www.vizanime.com/zetman

The second one up of the Spring 2012 season I have advocated is the series "Zetman"; Japenese- ゼットマン. The series is an anime based off a manga of the title, Zetman. It is written and drawn by Masakazu Katsura. It is currently planned to air for 13 of episodes. TMS Entertainment is the ones taking this show under its reigns, with Viz Media as the English licencor at this time.

Series Synopsis: --From MyAnimeList
      The story starts off with a face-off between two rival heroes, ZET and ALPHAS, and then traces their origins - Jin Kanzaki, a young man with the ability to transform into a superhuman being known as ZET, and Kouga Amagi, a young man with a strong sense of justice who uses technology to fight as ALPHAS.

[The fates of these two men and those around them intertwine as they fight to protect mankind and destroy monstrous abominations known as Players, who ironically are the creations of the Amagi Corporation, the company founded by Kouga’s grandfather, Mitsugai Amagi.
      Episode 1 Summary: (Air Date 4-1-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 1
      "Untaught Emotions"
      Jin Kanzaki is poor, but he lives a happy life with his grandfather. Together with his friends Kouga and Konoha, he helps out people for a fee. Meanwhile, the police are searching for a vicious serial killer.
      Personal Thoughts:
      For a first episode the series I could say isn't off to a bad start. We meet Jin and watch him awaken to his powers. It looks like this episode is a bit of a setup to get you started. Based on the previews for the second episode, it looks as we move from him being a child to a teen or young adult. I think I can say I will look forward to seeing how this turns out...

-------------
      So feel free to come in and discuss, ask questions, post favorite images (links preferred for larger images please) and so on. Each week, I myself will add my review and thoughts for the recent episode and at the end I will post a final review and overall score for the series itself. In between though feel free to share your own thoughts and discussion on the series.

**Please be aware the synopsis for each episode is the official synopsis quoted from the site I watch the series on, with the overview of the series synopsis quoted from ANN or MyAnimeList. Personal versions of the synopsis will be listed below before the Personal Thoughts when I come up with one for each, and will supplement the official synopsis.

Also please keep in mind, that we try to aim to watch these titles via legal streaming sites (when possible) such as Crunchy, Viz, Nico Nico (English Beta site) or Funimation, among others, so we may follow there release schedule for the legal releases of the stream when we can. So please be patient if you for some reason see them out before elsewhere. e as Advocates will add the newest synopsis when they are released via our choice sites release schedule or within a few days after, dependent on if we are not exhausted from jobs, uni/collage or other real life obligations.

Meanwhile please keep your eyes open for the other Anime Advocated titles of the Spring 2012 Season by your A&M Assistant, (Your AL name). The other titles under my Advocation for Spring 2012 season are are:
      Medaka Box
      Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? Jigoku Hen --Just waiting for Funimation to begin official LEGAL simulcasting...
      Hiiro No Kakera
      Accel World
      Last edited by Raiji Magiwind; 04-13-2012 at 11:33 PM.

The Alchemist's Whimsical Journal || The Alchemist's Experimentation: AL CA Journal

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Re: Zetman [AD/S -Advocate Title/Spoilers]

Episode 2 Summary: (Air Date 4-8-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 2
      "In the Fire"
      A few years have passed since Jin went missing. Kouga, still dreaming of becoming a real hero, is intent on catching a serial arsonist prowling the streets.
      Personal Thoughts:
      A few years have passed since the first episode so Jin is now a young adult. he appears to continue to do his work in being a Hero of Justice. In the process he meets his two old friends from his youth. Meanwhile as the episode ends, he is put in the hospital due to his battle, but it also brings the people searching for him to find him.

The Alchemist's Whimsical Journal || The Alchemist's Experimentation: AL CA Journal

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 3 Summary: (Air Date 4-15-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 3
      "Tears"
      When Jin wakes up, he sees a monster holding the lifeless body of his foster mother, Akemi. An old man named Mitsugai is attempting to awaken ZET within Jin by using her. Mitsugai succeeds and ZET awakens…but he’s still incomplete.
      Personal Thoughts:
      This episode things get a bit interesting as we get to know a little more of the past and Jin seems to be willing to make a deal with the devil in order to protect his auntie and others he has come to care for. The series is slowly beginning to take shape, so now its a matter of where the road will take us...

I saw the anime first then I read the manga. And I actually think that the anime seems put too many things into 24min·····

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 4 Summary: (Air Date 4-23-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 4
      "Ill Fortune"
      Two years have passed. Players are wreaking havoc in society, but humans are still unaware of their existence. People live in fear, and Mitsugai is unable to produce another ZET.
      Personal Thoughts:
      Thinks are beginning to get a little interesting. In this episode as the episode comes to a close, we meet the one the Players call the Sweeper. It seems this Sweeper is a person the Players don't want to mess with. They also seem interested in Jin as well. Why we have yet to see.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 5 Summary: (Air Date 4-29-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 5
      "Alphas"
      Kouga tries to become a superhero by creating a real-life Alphas. A mysterious man approaches him with a test to see if he’s qualified to become one.
      Personal Thoughts:
      Things are getting interesting as Kouga tries to pursue his dream to create a real life Alphas and try to be the superhero of justice he wants to be, and Jin gets involved in dealing with a few new players who seem interested in him. For both though people they care about are still getting caught in the crossfire. Now to see what will happen next...

So far I am starting to really enjoy this series. Its dark which i LOVE. it has its OMG moments that leave me wanting more. I can't wait to see it through to the end. though fuck justice guy.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 6 Summary: (Air Date 5-6-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 6
      "Hostage"
      Konoha is taken hostage and Jin is unable to do anything. Unlike before, he cannot become ZET by hurting himself and doesn’t have his Activation Gum.
      Personal Thoughts:
      Things are now getting kinda interesting as Jin tries to save those held hostage but finds himself in a bit of a bind, when he cannot change into ZET. Meanwhile Alphas steps in to a point to help, though it takes the meeting with one of the EVOL's to take things to the next level. The EVOL embeds into him a piece that contains shards of the ring that resonates with the ring in Jin's hand. We get left with a wallop of a cliffhanger as Jin becomes red ZET.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 7 Summary: (Air Date 5-14-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 7
      "The Ring of Exposure"
      ZET finally turns red and displays powers unlike anything seen before. With overwhelming strength, ZET dominates the fight against a Player. Meanwhile, Kouga is having a tough time fending off a Player in his first battle as Alphas.
      Personal Thoughts:
      Things are getting a bit interesting as the battle comes to a close with the bug brothers, and Jin and Kouga share a reunion of sorts. It should be interesting to see what sort of potential there is for Jin down the line.
      Last edited by Raiji Magiwind; 05-23-2012 at 04:16 AM.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 8 Summary: (Air Date 5-21-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 8
      "A Normal Family"
      Kouga learns that Jin has been fighting by himself as ZET. Thrilled over meeting a true hero, Kouga calls him “ZETMAN” and declares he will fight alongside him. Jin and Kouga head for the lab to find out why Red ZET turned white.
      Personal Thoughts:
      Kouga learns more about Jin and ZET as his grandfather decides to let him more or less know the truth to a point. This episode I feel will begin to bring us a little more details in things, but also begin to set the stage for what lies ahead. I look forward to seeing what happens next.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 9 Summary: (Air Date 5-28-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 9
      "The Whereabouts of the Pendant"
      The key to completing ZET is the pendant that Konoha has in her possession. Haitani and his men easily infiltrate the Amagi residence. Konoha wakes up and finds Jin standing in front of her. She hands him the pendant, not knowing he’s actually a clone.
      Personal Thoughts:
      The enemy makes a move and gets a hold of the red stone that is key to ZET's completion. ZET and the group have to try and regroup, yet it seems there are other things going on in the bigger picture. Then Konoha disappears and now there is reason to believe captured. Now I am kinda interested in seeing what happens next.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 10 Summary: (Air Date 6-4-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 10
      "The Whereabouts of the Pendant"
      Konoha goes missing. Kouga receives a phone call from the man who gave him the first test where he had to choose between the lives of his sister or three high school girls he didn’t know. Kouga chose Konoha and the girls were killed.
      Personal Thoughts:
      Stuff is starting to get kinda twisted in this series as Kouga's sister is kidnapped again. The girl seems to have a penchant for being kidnapped I tell you. Now Kouga and Jin each have there own challenges, but it how they will take care of them preferably without many more human casualties...

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 11 Summary: (Air Date 6-11-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 11
      "Puppet"
      Haitani hijacks a broadcast signal in Middletown to declare war against humanity. Under his leadership, regressed Players start wreaking havoc, but Jin appears as ZET to protect people and fights as a one-man army.
      Personal Thoughts:
      All hell breaks loose as the Haitani pretty much declares war against us all. Now I am sort of looking forward to next week to see what happens...

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

I fell so behind between switching locations of my job, two cons and a bunch of other stuff...so long overdo....last two eps of Zetman and Review...

Episode 12 Summary: (Air Date 6-18-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 12
      "The Red Stake"
      Inside Amagi Tower, ZET is severely wounded by Haitani and can no longer retain his form. Does he have to become complete in order to defeat Haitani? Why does Haitani want ZET to be complete so desperately?
      Episode 13 Summary: (Air Date 6-25-2012)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 13 -FINAL EPISODE
      "Funeral Procession"
      Haitani hijacks a broadcast signal in Middletown to declare war against humanity. Under his leadership, regressed Players start wreaking havoc, but Jin appears as ZET to protect people and fights as a one-man army.
      Personal Thoughts:
      The final two episodes lead off to a battle and we see what Jin is capable of, but we also see how Alphas own power can be a double edged sword. The series ends with a nice touch though, and ties up a lot of the stuff, while leaving the option for a OVA or something if they wanted to do one.

-------------------------
      ADVOCATE FINAL REVIEW FOR ZETMAN
      By Raiji Magiwind

Original Story/Plot - Katsura Masakazu | Being Serialized in Young Jump
      | Genres: Action, Drama, Romance, Sci-Fi, Supernatural, Seinen

Overall Synopsis of Series
      Quoted from MyAnimeList
      The story starts off with a face-off between two rival heroes, ZET and ALPHAS, and then traces their origins - Jin Kanzaki, a young man with the ability to transform into a superhuman being known as ZET, and Kouga Amagi, a young man with a strong sense of justice who uses technology to fight as ALPHAS.

The fates of these two men and those around them intertwine as they fight to protect mankind and destroy monstrous abominations known as Players, who ironically are the creations of the Amagi Corporation, the company founded by Kouga’s grandfather, Mitsugai Amagi.
      Plot/Story
      Two people whom's lives are intertwined by a sort of cruel twisted fate must come to terms with there senses of justice and whether it will also destroy there odd friendship...

Total Stars: 4.5 of 5
      Overall the plot was interesting with a number of fighting and other crazy things going on, but I do think I would have enjoyed just a touch more of the background and details of the past to help give us a better feel of the reasons for each characters sense of purpose and there reasons for why they chose to walk the paths they walk.

Characters
      --Jin Kanzaki--
      The main protagonist. A mysterious young man bearing a circular lump on the back of his left hand, Jin was a result of the Z.E.T. Project by the Amagi Corporation to create the perfect being to fight and destroy the escaped Players. Jin is able to transform a creature known as "ZET", a mutant possessing superhuman abilities, but often mistaken for another Player. The transformation is slow, though it may be accelerated due to extreme rage and conditions.The source of his strength appears to be the mysterious lump on his hand.

--Kouga Amagi--
      Grandson of Mitsugai Amagi. Kouga has developed a strong sense of justice since young. Urged by his encounter with Jin during a fire accident (caused by a Player) to become a hero of justice. He had been depending on a trio of researchers since middle school for gadgets which could assist him in his escapades. After learning about the Players and his grandfather’s involvement in the project, he initiates the ALPHAS Project with the Trio, who created a high-performance combat body suit resembling Kouga’s childhood hero, complete with high-tech weaponry and gadgets, to combat his grandfather’s creations.

--Konoha Amagi--
      A girl who has known Jin since they were children and harbors feelings for him. As daughter to Amagi Corp's president (Kouga's sister), she is unaware of the fact that Jin is Zet. They originally met when she and her mother were secretly giving out food to the homeless. Since then, due to many complicated events, they are now relatively close friends.

--Hanako Tanaka--
      A tomboyish teenage girl. She has had constant headaches since she was born, leading her to go to the nurse's office quite often as a result. Because of this, students thought she was just slacking off, and was bullied by them, leaving her traumatized and unwilling to go to high school. After this, her parents started becoming apathetic to her, forcing her to run away. She met Jin as he was living in the slum she ran away to.

Spoiler:  
      When Jin saved her from the homicidal Crab Player, she was offered to live with him and become a family with him. She then quickly developed romantic feelings for him. She was later nearly raped by the Cockroach Player, but was saved by the combination of a call from the Shrimp Player and a group of Sweepers. When she was asked by Jin if she wanted to live away from him, she broke down crying, but was comforted by Jin telling her that he will protect her if she decides to stay, which she does. Soon after, Jin seems to reciprocate her feelings for him when she has sex with him. However, Jin convinces her to go home the next day, at least until he can get them their own home. Before she leaves, she texts her full name to Jin, and he goes on to call her Hanako, even though she hates being called that. While on a Christmas Eve date with Jin, the Sweeper attacked Jin, causing him to transform in front of her, leaving her terrified. Because he blacked out, Jin believes that either the Sweeper killed her, or he did it himself. It is revealed that after the attack on Jin, she was kidnapped by Seiji and kept as a hostage in the attack on Amagi Corp.. During a conversation with Seiji, she reveals that she still loves Jin, even if he is ZET.

Total Stars: 4.5 of 5
      The characters here where good, though I feel they could have a little more fleshing out to them, especially Jin and Kouga. Still though, they developed the characters enough to at least give us a glimpse of what makes them who they are and such.

Art/Theme

Total Stars: 5 of 5
      The art was actually not to bad for this series. It had that rough and raw feel to it, kinda reminded me a little of the older Batman comics from back in the day, though not unpolished. More like the good old gritty feel that shows like this had back int eh day before they became a bit more to clean lined and smooth.

Overall/Closing Comments
      All in all even with the bits of odd here and there, the series itself was interesting. The manga its based off of is a lot more in depth though and is a lot more dark. It's defiantly a series worth watching, though I will recommend going on to read the manga after, just because of the depth and dark tones the series has. I think much more could have been played with in the series, but like many series', only so much will make it in, so it sometime good to read the manga too, just to get the greater picture...

Total Stars for Series Overall: 4.5 of 5
      Likelyhood to Recommend: YES

Thread Information