• zzzz

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Dantalian no Shoka [May Contain Spoilers]

Welcome to the third of a set of threads commanded by your resident Anime and Manga Assistant, Raiji. This thread is one of the several series I have opted to Advocate for the Summer 2011 season, as part of the "Anime Advocates" area of the A&M Assistant Scheme.

This title I watch via NicoNico's English Beta website.
      NicoNico "Channel": Dantalian no Shoka
      You can like find this likely after a few hours or days on stuff like animeseason or other streaming sites. Crunchy also has legal streaming rights to this series as well though it appears the Nico Nico has first dibs release, so Crunchy is one episode behind Nico Nico.

The third one up of the Summer 2011 season I have advocated is the series "Dantalian no Shoka" (also written as Japenese- ダンタリアンの書架). English title is The Mystic Archives of Dantalian. It's synonym/other variations to the title are Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian and Dantalian's Bookshelf. The series is based of the light novels Dantalian no Shoka by Gakuto Mikumo, also known for the series Asura Cryin. Its being produced by Gainax, and it is currently slated for a 13 episode run.

Series Synopsis: --From MyAnimeList
      Hugh Anthony Disward inherits an old mansion and a personal library from his grandfather. In the basement of the mansion, he meets a mysterious girl, Dalian. She is a Dantalian and a gateway to "Dantalian's bookshelf", which stores the prohibited books of the demons.

"Gensho (Illusory Books)", the prohibited books, endanger the balance of the world, but people are fascinated by the taboo. Hugh and Dalian solve the cases involving Gensho with their ability to access the Dantalian bookshelf.
      MAL: http://myanimelist.net/anime/8915/Dantalian_no_Shoka

As I didn't decide till this week (7-22) to choose between Nico Nico (choosing Nico Nico) and Crunchy for the stream of this title, you will get a "Double Header" opening with thoughts on the first TWO episodes....

Episode 1 Summary: (Air Date 7-15-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 1
      “Turn-up Book”
      In the early part of the last century, there was a young man named Huey, whose grandfather was an avid collector of rare books, what you might call a bibliomaniac. Upon his grandfather's death, Huey inherited his grandfather's antiquated mansion and the collection of books within. Huey arrived at the mansion to investigate the meaning of his grandfather's last request, to take over responsibility for the Bibliotheca. There, in the cellar filled with stacks of books, he encounters a beautiful young girl in a black dress—

Personal Thoughts:
      The first episode of this series was actually pretty interesting, and defiantly started strong in setting up the story and getting you hooked in. IT does have a bit of feel similar to Gosick or Pandora Hearts in style and that general feel, but it works with the feel of the story. In the first episode our main character basically inherits his recently deceased grandfathers estate and with it Dalian. As we near the end of the first episode he learns that Dalian is the gate to the Archives themselves and by him accepting her as his responsibility and her in turn accepting him as her "Keykeeper', he has the power to unlock the Bibliotheca and summon the book kept within. With it comes the power to read and understand the books and use there hidden power to solve mysteries.

------------

Episode 2 Summary: (Air Date 7-22-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 2
      “Book of Fetus”
      Huey receives a letter addressed to his late grandfather which requests an appraisal of a book collection, so he heads to the home of the sender, Estella. Huey and Dalian find it peculiar that Estella would live alone in a luxurious mansion with a clock tower. Estella's cousin, who happens to be visiting, informs them about the strange curse she is under. Is a "cursed book" to blame-?!

Personal Thoughts:
      They visit a young woman to appraise her late grandfathers book collection, which was a request sent by her grandfather to his likely shortly before his death. They manage to unravel the mysteries of the curse surrounding Estella, and solve the mystery. Here we can see that there is at least an obvious weakness to using the archives, in that it does exhaust the reader and Keykeeper over time, which means that Huey will probably need to build ups his stamina eventually or he may have to avoid using too many books at once, lest it potentially kill him from the exhaustion. He does seem to recover with a good nights sleep I am going to assume as he seems fine later the next morning.
      Mind you the fact that he unlocks a large lock on Dalian's chest to open the gateway which is about right above her breasts and pretty much plunges his hand into a sort of gateway in her bosom retrieve these books does take a little getting used too.

There is also a strong likely-hood that Huey has actually been to the archives physically before as a child, as there are some flashes of the possibility usually near the beginning of the episodes. I wonder if this will play a part in the story down the line.

-------------

So feel free to come in and discuss, ask questions, post favorite images (links preferred for larger images please) and so on. Each week, I myself will add my review and thoughts for the recent episode and at the end I will post a final review and overall score for the series itself. In between though feel free to share your own thoughts and discussion on the series.
      **Please be aware the synopsis for each episode is the official synopsis quoted from the site I watch the series on, with the overview of the series synopsis quoted from ANN or MyAnimeList. Personal versions of the synopsis will be listed below before the Personal Thoughts when I come up with one for each, and will supplement the official synopsis.

Also please keep in mind, that I try to aim to watch these titles via legal streaming sites such as Crunchy, Viz, Nico Nico (English Beta site) or Funimation, among others, so I follow there release schedule for the legal releases of the stream when I can. So please be patient if you for some reason see them out before elsewhere. I will add my newest synopsis when they are released via my choice sites release schedule or within a few days after, dependent on if I'm not exhausted from work.

Meanwhile please keep your eyes open for the other Anime Advocated titles of the Summer 2011 season by your A&M Assistant, Raiji. The other titles under my Advocation for Summer 2011 are:
      Nurarihyon No Mago Sennen Makyou
      Sacred Seven
      Last edited by Raiji Magiwind; 07-23-2011 at 01:55 AM.

The Alchemist's Whimsical Journal || The Alchemist's Experimentation: AL CA Journal

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Re: Dantalian no Shoka [May Contain Spoilers]

Episode 3 Summary: (Air Date 7-29-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 3
      “Book of Wisdom/Queen of Night”
      [Book of Wisdom]
      Huey and Dalian run into Huey's childhood friend, Camilla, at a bookstore. The peculiarly-dressed Camilla invites them to her villa. According to Camilla, there is a school nearby with a Phantom Book that increases the intelligence of its students...?

[Queen of Night]
      Huey is preparing for teatime with Dalian, when burglars break into the house. Dalian is taken hostage and the two of them are tied up. It appears that the burglars are after a valuable book titled Queen of Night...?!

Personal Thoughts:
      This episode was interesting with two smaller stories in it. The first involved dealing with a small group of children who apparently had encountered a Phantom Book that increased intelligence. This one ended with no real injury to anyone, which was kinda of nice as it shows that Huey probably won't have to fight all the time to reclaim the books, but at the same time, it shows that the books themselves aren't inherently totally evil either, as Dalian mentioned...its when a person who is not worthy of the books knowledge reads it that things basically get ugly. But if one who is worthy of the wisdom inside, its not as dangerous. Not saying they still aren't dangerous even in the right hands, but at least there is a possibility to reason with the person in these cases for the book.

The second story involved two burglars trying to steal a book, which ended up with there demise at the hands of the book itself. Here we learn that not all Phantom Books are necessarily 'books' as far as form, being this book was actually a plant that used a book form at it base to lure greedy people like the burglars to it and then devour them as food. Dalian was a little sad as to not being able to have a chance to read it though, being the book only blooms once every so many years. But in the end, the burglars did get punished for there crimes by being eaten.
      So far I am enjoying this series overall even though we are only three episodes in, and its likely because even though its a bit campy and sort of a murder mystery of the week style, its still a fun watch each week to see what sort of things Huey and Dalian will face.

The Alchemist's Whimsical Journal || The Alchemist's Experimentation: AL CA Journal

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 4 Summary: (Air Date 8-5-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 4
      “Book of Soul Exchange”
      Dalian is currently mesmerized by a certain novel series, but the author was attacked and killed before he could write the last book. Dalian is quite despondent, but a letter arrives from the author for Huey's late grandfather. The letter is a request for help, so they immediately head to his residence. There, they find the wife of Lents, the author. She says that Lents does not receive visitors when he is writing, but after learning that Dalian is a fan, she agrees to grant them an audience. However, they soon discover Lents's dead body...

Personal Thoughts:
      Another interesting episode for this series. This one dealt with a book that ressurects the dead. Not much action in this one, though I find it nice to see that not every episode find Huey in a situation where he has to fight a battle. I look forward to a little more action though, as I don't want it to get stagnant with so much detail and not much action. Either way, this series is faring better then Sacred Seven...>> *goes to somehow choke down this weeks episode of that one...><*

Really loving this series, although I am being smacked with memories of gosick.
      But its quite charming and very fast paced as well (a little too fast at the start for me, could have been more natural)
      I do hope we get too see more of the library its-self it's like the one thing I really wana see.
      However its pretty varied between episodes and quite original, could use a darker atmosphere like in the first ep though, the subsequent ep's haven't quit matched it also Huey and Dalian are really likeable.
      - This is the greatest signature in existence -

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 5 Summary: (Air Date 8-12-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 5
      “The Magician's Daughter”
      Huey and Dalian have been barraged by visits from suitors of the lovely Viola Duplessis, who has requested that her suitors present her with Phantom Books. The pair decided to visit the woman and learn what she is trying to accomplish.

Personal Thoughts:
      Another interesting episode. Here they help several men protect a young lady, though she kinda breaks there hearts in the end. I do find it interesting how it seems with each time he opens the archive we seem to see more pieces of what I am going to assume is his past. I look forward to seeing what happens next week.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 6 Summary: (Air Date 8-19-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 6
      “Libricide”
      Two people arrive at a town by the lake in search of someone. The girl, Flam, is dressed in a white strait jacket and bound by belts and chains. She is accompanied by the "Libricide Officer" Hal, who carries Flam and a large staff in his sidecar. The cop, Mabel, approaches the suspicious pair before inviting them to her house. As Mabel tells them about this average rural town, Hal mentions that a large number of people have gone missing in the area...?

Personal Thoughts:
      In this episode we are introduced to a new character, who also appears to have a similar ability to Huey as far as being able to access the archives, but his duties and methods are a bit different and a bit more crazy then Huey. My interest is the fact he seems to be looking for our Huey and specifically for Dalian. What will happen when they meet?

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 7 Summary: (Air Date 8-26-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 7
      “Purfumer”
      Huey and Dalian are waiting in line for some very popular buns. When they finally receive their bread, they bump into a woman who is taking refuge inside the cafe, and the buns end up on the floor... Dalian is very distraught, but then they discover that the woman was named Fiona, the daughter of the president of the famous perfume maker Famenias as well as a lead researcher, who had run away from home. There is a legend that Famenias possesses an ancient text, which was passed down to Fiona...?!

Personal Thoughts:
      Another interesting episode. It had some battle but not much. It focused more of story on the women they meet. The fate though is not grand for her, but it was an interesting episode none the less

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 8 Summary: (Air Date 9-2-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 8
      “Book of Equivalence/Book of Relationship”
      - Book of Equivalence Camilla arrives at Huey's in another strange outfit, bringing gifts. Camilla notices that Dalian is browsing through a catalog for an old mansion. Once Camilla learns which item Dalian wants, she takes a paper clip from Huey and leaves. It appears that Camilla had obtained the "Book of Equivalence," a Phantom Book for bartering, from a used bookstore...

- Book of Relationship Huey's former subordinate, Armand, has come to Huey's home seeking help again. Huey and Dalian are rather suspicious when they see that his body has been cursed by branches and flames. According to Armand, he has become lovers with Lianna, thanks to a Phantom Book which brings together soul mates...?

Personal Thoughts:
      Another interesting if not a little odd episode. I sometimes wonder about some of the phantom books being you get some that are really weird. But so far the series isn't too bad.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 9 Summary: (Air Date 9-9-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 9
      “Book of Twilight”
      Dalian and Huey run into the apprentice shaman Ira near a small town that has been ravaged by monstrous insects known as Baziumu. Ira was searching for Elegans, a poisonous plant that was said to be effective against the Baziumu. However, Dalian declares that the poison will be ineffective and leaves in search of books. The next day, Ira sets off with Elegans in hand to meet her beloved apprentice merchant, Tito. However, the town has been destroyed by a large number of Baziumu?.

Personal Thoughts:
      Another interesting episode. At first I was a little what the hell wrong with the weird animation, then as the episode came to an end, you realized why. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it made for interesting story.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 10 Summary: (Air Date 9-16-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 10
      “Phantom Score”
      Huey is playing a broken violin in the park when a strange pair, Dallaglio and Christabel, arrive and easily repair the violin. Dalian and Huey are enthralled by Christabel's beautiful performance. However, Christabel is apparently famous enough to draw a crowd, and Dallaglio quickly takes her away as if to conceal her presence. Huey and Dalian find one of Christabel's pamphlets at the used bookstore they frequent and learn that she will be holding a recital to play one of the difficult violin sonatas that are known as Phantom Scores. The two of them immediately head to the site of the recital...?!

Personal Thoughts:
      Another interesting if not odd episode. The series overall isn't too bad...it just seems like it goes a little all over place though with no real linear plot....

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Well from what I can guess or figure, it appears Dantalian is taking a one week break, so no episode this week based on the NicoNico site, but it looks to return the following week. So new episode (Episode 11) next week...

Also any shows from Thursday to Sunday during next weekend may be a little delayed as I will away at Anime Weekend Atlanta.

HaruKin

Just finished episode 6 last night, it's still keeping my interest to wanna watch more. Episode 4? “Book of Soul Exchange”, that really got me a bit, the way she kept killing the lovers over and over again....geez. Every episode's story been real good so far, except for "The Magician's Daughter", that's a bit off for me.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

A little behind cause of AWA and due to some issues directly from the studio releasing episodes... I give you a double header and the IN PROGRESS FINAL REVIEW

Episode 11 Summary: (Air Date 9-28-11)

Official Synopsis- Episode 11
      “Bibliotheca Razielis Archangeli”
      1917. Norfolk, England. On a Royal Naval Air Service base, Armand and Eilas watch as a rookie fresh out of the academy outflies a veteran lieutenant. Eilas takes a liking to the young man and perceives that he was "a child eager to take flight." The cocky greenhorn turned out to be Huey... The two men hit it off, but eventually—

Personal Thoughts:
      This episode seems to cover some of the events that seemed to take place as to what Hugh's was doing before he got the letter saying he inherited his Grandfather's estate and with it Dalian. It was interesting to see that it appeared he had the key for a while before he his grandfather died, for he wore it on a chain around his neck it seemed during the war.

Episode 12 Summary- FINAL EPISODE: (Air Date 10-5-11)

Official Synopsis- Episode 12
      “Song for the Unwritten Future"
      While Huey is reading a newspaper article about an immortal man who doesn't die after suffering multiple gunshot wounds, Dalian is busy buying buns after spotting an ad for a new shop in the paper. However, once her shopping is finished, a crowd of zombies appear in the vicinity. Dalian believes that the Book of Atonement has been printed onto copies of the newspaper...?

Personal Thoughts:

--------

-------------------------
      ADVOCATE FINAL REVIEW FOR DANTALIAN NO SHOKA
      By Raiji Magiwind

Original Story/Plot - Mikumo Gakuto | Being Serialized in The Sneaker
      | Anime Adaptation by Gainax
      Genres: Mystery, Historical, Slice of Life, Supernatural

Overall Synopsis of Series
      Quoted from MyAnimeList
      Hugh Anthony Disward inherits an old mansion and a personal library from his grandfather. In the basement of the mansion, he meets a mysterious girl, Dalian. She is a Dantalian and a gateway to "Dantalian's bookshelf", which stores the prohibited books of the demons.

"Gensho (Illusory Books)", the prohibited books, endanger the balance of the world, but people are fascinated by the taboo. Hugh and Dalian solve the cases involving Gensho with their ability to access the Dantalian bookshelf.
      Plot/Story
      We follow a young man named Hugh who inherits a old mansion and a young girl named Dalian from his late grandfather. He eventually learns Dalian is on of the guardians of the mystical bookshelves that house the 'Gensho' or Phantom Books, who's secrets are believed to be too dangerous for mankind. Hugh has inherited his grandfathers duty as the Keykeeper for the Dantalian bookshelf, or Dalian.

Total Stars: 5 of 5
      Besides the somewhat confusing plot, the series itself was actually quite interesting and I could see this series going off into something more interesting is it decides to do so. The general plot and flow can be quite hard to follow, so be forewarned if you plan to check it out.

Characters
      --Dalian--
      "Kuro no Yomihime, Black Reading Princess"
      She is a Dantalian and a gateway to "Dantalian's bookshelf", which stores the prohibited books of the demons.

--Hugh Anthony Disward--
      "Huey, Guardian of the True Key, Lieutenant"
      The grandson of Viscount Disward. He received a letter of inheritance to the Library of Dantalian from his grandfather when he came back from war. He is able to open the Mystical Library through Dariane, as he has the Library's key, probably also inherited from his grandfather.

There's like a crapton of others, character wise...like 25+ or so, but Huey and Dalian are the two major players.

Total Stars: 4.5 of 5
      Sweet Mary there was a lot of characters in this series, but they did at least make and effort to stay focused on developing the relationship between Dalian and Hugh (or Huey as Dalian calls him). They did flesh out a few of the minor characters who seemed to constantly interact with the main characters, though the rest kinda faded off.

Art/Theme

Total Stars: 5 of 5
      The art was actually quite good and fit the series' dark undertones and somewhat Victorian-esque era setting. Bright and whitty for certain things. Dark and dismal for the battles

Overall/Closing Comments
      The series was a nice series overall though it did feel a little like there was no real exact plot going per say. It can be a bit hard to follow. It seemed like the series might have been mostly a plot of the week thing, with a few subtle underlying backstory weaving in throughout the series, particularly Huey and his involvement with the Dantalian bookshelf, which seems to have started when he was younger before he knew about its history.

Total Stars for Series Overall: 5 of 5
      Likelyhood to Recommend: YES
      Last edited by Raiji Magiwind; 10-08-2011 at 03:00 AM.

Actually finsihed watching this today.
      Because I'm way behind.
      Good stuff, they probably should have more more of an effort at the start of the show to tell us that this is all build up to a second season that will resolve everything. (Hopefully)
      Its all about building Dalian/Huey's relationship and particularly Huey's personality/history/motivation for the most part, framed by these various side adventures finding Phantom Books (Which I suspect may have to be used later on, thus why they have been given large amounts of expansion).

Its interesting that most of the supporting cast is being kept in a shroud of mystery, we get one episode to see the Librecide officer who seems to be being built as an anti-hero leaning "good" type and two half(ish) episodes (plus some earlier fore-shadowing shots) that reveal the franchise villain. So season 2 (Should it come) will most likely have much more of a consistent plot drawing from the well established characters/references made in the first series meaning that when the plot does come it'll all become clear, and not alot will need to be said to keep it consistent and an increase in pace seem will seem like a natural progression and not be jarring(often a problem).

I do have to say that the last episode of the series was a bit rushed to me, that was probably to give the finale some sort of kick that's usually expected of a finale, but it felt out of place to me and a bit too much was laid on, when some of it could have been used later on, or even earlier and stood its own.
      But hey, it left me wondering where things will go, my only hope is it'll build on from this point in a second season and not just be left or backslide into periodic adventures.

Also some good art, im not a stickler for art but I do like how the special effect type animation whenever used always blended seamlessly and still was impressive on its own, soundtrack could use some more background music deployed in certain places to give it some variety/atmosphere voice acting was well done though Dalian Can get a little grating. Good series in my book, I'd say 7 maybe 8 our of 10, but the potential is there now for a 9-10/10 second series.
      - This is the greatest signature in existence -

Supreme Button!

Innocent

Country
      UK
      AL Points

As much as I liked the series, I couldn't help feeling something was missing throughout, just something that might have made it great. I also felt that episode 11 was really misplaced, I could tell that they were leading into the end, but it just felt a bit forced

I'd probably recommend it to others though

Thread Information