• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Sacred Seven [May Contain Spoilers]

Welcome to the second of a set of threads commanded by your resident Anime and Manga Assistant, Raiji. This thread is one of the several series I have opted to Advocate for the Summer 2011 season, as part of the "Anime Advocates" area of the A&M Assistant Scheme.

This title I watch via Crunchyroll's website.
      Crunchyroll Link: Sacred Seven
      You can like find this likely after a few hours or days on stuff like animeseason or other streaming sites, though if you are a premium member at Crunchy, you will have first dibs access to the series. You can still watch this and others on Crunchy as a free member, you just have to wait a week.

The second one up of the Summer 2011 season I have advocated is the series "Sacred Seven" (also written as Japenese- セイクリッドセブン). It's synonym is Sacred 7. The series currently is a stand alone anime series, with no known manga series it's based off of. It is a 2011 Japanese science fiction anime television series produced by Sunrise under the direction of Yoshimitsu Ohashi. Script supervisor is Shin Yoshida with mechanical designs by Ippei Gyōbu. It is currently slated for an unknown number of episodes, though rumors say possibly around 12 episodes.

Series Synopsis: --From MyAnimeList
      Alma Tandoji lives a lonely life. One day, Ruri Alba, a girl accompanied by her butler and maids, visits him. Knowing the power of Sacred Seven is latent within Alma, she asks him to lend her his powers. However, he refuses and drives her away since he injured many with his unusual strength in the past.

Meanwhile, a fiendish Dark Stone creature suddenly appears in this peaceful town in the Kanto region. Only Alma's power of Sacred Seven can fight against it. But Alma just lets his power run amuck and things begin to get worse. Ruri raised her gemstone in order to release his true abilities, My Soul I give to you.

With Ruri's wishes engraved in it, will Alma be able to defeat the Dark Stone?
      MAL: http://myanimelist.net/anime/10156/Sacred_Seven

Episode 1 Summary: (Air Date 7-8-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 1
      “Awakening of the Stone”
      Alma Tandoji, seventeen, keeps others at a distance due to a past incident. One night, Ruri Aiba appears at his door. She pleads with Alma to battle against the Dark Stone, creatures that can only be defeated by the power of the Sacred Seven within Alma.

Personal Thoughts:
      Well for a first episode it was defiantly interesting....As far as style/art wise, it reminded me of S-Cry-Ed and Geass a little, though I can defiantly saw you got some homage to Kuroshitsuji in here with the female character's butler dude (though he's not a demon...at least from what we know so far...>>)... and I swear he sorta reminds me of Claude a little...Oo (or Sebby cosplaying as Claude). Then you got some Megaman representation there with one of Alma's forms (which you see near the end of the first episode). I have also heard people mention that it feels there may be a little touch of ninjaness, a speck of Ao no Exorcist and Power Ranger-esque to it as well. I have seen a few other references thrown out there, but I'll be here all night...
      I see this series having some promise based on what I saw of the first episode. I mean it has a few flaws here and there, but nothing overly that I can say off hand draws away from its potential....

So feel free to come in and discuss, ask questions, post favorite images (links preferred for larger images please) and so on. Each week, I myself will add my review and thoughts for the recent episode and at the end I will post a final review and overall score for the series itself. In between though feel free to share your own thoughts and discussion on the series.
      **Please be aware the synopsis for each episode is the official synopsis quoted from the site I watch the series on, with the overview of the series synopsis quoted from ANN or MyAnimeList. Personal versions of the synopsis will be listed below before the Personal Thoughts when I come up with one for each, and will supplement the official synopsis.

Also please keep in mind, that I try to aim to watch these titles via legal streaming sites such as Crunchy, Viz, Nico Nico (English Beta site) or Funimation, among others, so I follow there release schedule for the legal releases of the stream when I can. So please be patient if you for some reason see them out before elsewhere. I will add my newest synopsis when they are released via my choice sites release schedule or within a few days after, dependent on if I'm not exhausted from work.

Meanwhile please keep your eyes open for the other Anime Advocated titles of the Summer 2011 season by your A&M Assistant, Raiji. The other titles under my Advocation for Summer 2011 are:
      Nurarihyon No Mago Sennen Makyou
      Dantalian no Shoka
      Last edited by Raiji Magiwind; 07-23-2011 at 12:29 AM.

The Alchemist's Whimsical Journal || The Alchemist's Experimentation: AL CA Journal

8-9-3

Shy

Country
      Honduras
      AL Points

Re: Sacred Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Hitler
      Well for a first episode it was defiantly interesting....As far as style/art wise, it reminded me of S-Cry-Ed and Geass a little, though I can defiantly saw you got some homage to Kuroshitsuji in here with the female character's butler dude (though he's not a demon...at least from what we know so far...>>).
      This. I'm anticipating the second episode. I have a lot of high hopes for this seasons anime, to at least keep my interest beyond a mere 2 or 3 series.
      GAMMA FUNKULA

Multinational Endrak Man

Amused

Country
      USA
      AL Points

I'm currently on dial-up with no TV, so watching anime I don't already own is a dream of the past (until September). The previous season's anime selection looked like crap anyway. I have yet to see any of the new ones.

Supreme Button!

Innocent

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Did you read my mind?

I was reminded of Geass, Kuroshitsuji and Megaman in all the same places as you.

And I found it a bit of a let-down, though it probably didn't help that I was thinking of another anime whilst watching the first episode. Gonna watch a couple more and see if it picks up for me, but I think it's gonna be one of those new monster each week sort of things, and I'm not interested in that particularly

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Well anything is possible obviously...
      It probably will be a monster of the week thing in some form...though coming to know Sunrise...anything can happen...Oo...after all this series is a standalone piece and has no manga that it's based from, so there's no real normal...oh God, how bad they gonna butcher the manga to anime comparison here. Though with the past few seasons, there have been a few breakaway hits that started out slow or just as odd, that took the title and best of the season by the end of the season according to the viewers.

I know a lot of people took a look at Gosick at the beginning of the Spring season and where like...eh... and now it's one of the recent Spring season favs along with Deadman (which I need to go finish my final review on...>>)

The Alchemist's Whimsical Journal || The Alchemist's Experimentation: AL CA Journal

Supreme Button!

Innocent

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Lol, like I said, I'll give it a try, but if it doesn't get interesting in like 3 or 4 more episodes, I'll probably drop it.

Though on Gosick and Deadman, no one I know changed their minds about those series Except me, who was a little disappointed in Gosick early Still need to finish it now that you mention it

zzzz

Country
      UK
      AL Points

First time posting on one these specific anime topics but i'll have a go.

Read the description and it caught my interest, as was watching first thoughs on the girl was meh.. The guy meh... the butler ..meh, was not really interested half wy through.

Spoiler:  
      when he changed i thought yay finally something interesting, i personly liked his stone form and the fact he was a berserker and nhoped he'd at least stay as one for a while but meh.. His 'real' power form ..meh...

i definetly see where people get the whole power ranger, kuroshitsuji comparson comes from, and it did seem kinda ninja like now its mentioned.

Gunna watch a couple more and see.

Wolfsaiyan

Re: Sacred Seven [May Contain Spoilers]

enjoyed the 2 episodes ive watched - ill watch a few more; it aint bad - although he does kinda remind me of megaman if im honest xD - but ill stick with it and hope for more badass ^^

Man, Sacred Seven, I've only watched the first so far,but I must say I'm slightly disappointed, Sunrise is one of my favourite studio's and usually one I can bank on, but the first episode was just well all to premature. It felt like the animators were told "You've got one episode" and attempted to un-load everything as fast as possible.
        Spoiler:  
      It was to me like; Quickly set-up archetypal loner!, No, no time to set up character back-story or development! Quickly introduce the entire extended cast! No, no time to expand on them either. We've got to crowbar a fight, do you think that was enough? Transformation!

I would have split the first episode into 3 and expanded

Episode 1) Introduce Tandoji, Alma, show his solitary life a bit, include the flashback (But expanded with more detail as to what caused that to happen) 3/4 the way through the episode to establish why he has chosen to withdraw from social life. Enter Wakana Itou the caring girl who sees the good in him and establish that he does care somewhat about others but for personal reasons (I.e other than being an apparent douche) he cannot let himself get close personally.

Episode 2) Introduce Aiba, Ruri, properly establish Alma's objections to Ruri's offer. More character development of Alma and establish Ruri's history and intentions. Explain what the hell Onigawara is. Queue Monster, present Alma with dilemma of doing nothing and letting Itou die or breaking his how and getting involved.

Episode 3) The fight
        Spoiler:  
      No transformation yet
      Resolve consequences of the fight, show Alma coming to terms with his power and breaking his vow. And show the acceptance of new responsibilities. Introduce extended cast.

I would have preferred something like that to the overly hyperactive plot-line we got.
      - This is the greatest signature in existence -

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 2 Summary: (Air Date 7-15-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 2
      “Ruri's Sky-Blue Bond”
      Ruri is the new Chairperson of Alma’s academy, and calls him to her office to ask him again to join the battle against the Dark Stone. Meanwhile, a plane departs from a US military base, secretly carrying an extremely explosive material.

Personal Thoughts:
      This episode just felt weird all around with it. Don't get me wrong the series is ok, but it kinda feels all over the place. Its like watching a mindfuck version of S-Cry-Ed with a little bit of Eva tossed in. Unless some sort of plot drops in in the next episode or two, I'm not sure If I will enjoy this as much as I thought I might. Of course, being a completest, I will probably torture myself and watch the whole seires just to see where it goes and where it ends up.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 3 Summary: (Air Date 7-22-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 3
      “Crazy Night”
      Two vehicles scream down the highway. One carries chief researcher, Yuji Kenmi, who ensures that the power of the Sacred Seven is not used for evil. Suddenly, a mystery man is standing in the middle of road. Sensing danger, Alma heads toward the group.

Personal Thoughts:
      Third episode in and we still feel a bit lost. I mean things are slowly staring to come together as to whats going on but not by much. I feel like they set this series up in a manner where the speed of the plot is a breakneck pace that has you feeling as confused as a run through with Eva. Though at least with Eva or even S-Cry-Ed I had some clue by the third or fourth episode as to what in the fuck I was watching or the semblance of where the plot what going to take me. I shall somehow struggle to watch this series to the end and hope it gets better or at least HOPE at some point they actually give us a clue as to what the flying fuck is going on... including maybe a little back story about how this all started to begin with....Oo

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 4 Summary: (Air Date 7-29-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 4
      “Oni at the School Festival”
      Tomorrow is the school festival and the students are hard at work. As the rock club’s newest member, Alma is preparing for the events when a Dark Stone slides onto campus. Kagami realizes, “We can’t let Miss Ruri find out or she’ll cancel the festival.”

Personal Thoughts:
      This episode was ok. The series seems to be slowly getting a little better, but it still is just off. This episode seemed to have at least something in it that gave us a taste of fact the main character does still attempt to have some sort of normal life, though even that feels kinda forced. To be honest though, I am kinda hoping in the next few episodes we get some more solid foundation going and a bit more of an idea of where this all actually going, cause if not, then this series is going to be one of the few shows this season that will be tough to try and finish watching.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 5 Summary: (Air Date 8-5-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 5
      “The Mirror in Kagami's Heart”
      The Rock Club is headed to the beach! There’s a legend that the local pyramid is dedicated to the rock gods, much to Wakana’s delight. But Alma senses a Dark Stone inside. While Kagami is investigating, a huge earthquake hits, swallowing Alma and Ruri.

Personal Thoughts:
      Well I think they might be slowly starting to go somewhere with this, but its still a bit monster of the week. The art seems to be a little inconsistent sometimes, being sometimes Tandoji looks younger or thinner and less muscular then he does other times. Hopefully the series will begin to show some direction, though I am still on the fence for this one. Its still a bit of a touch watch...

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 6 Summary: (Air Date 8-13-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 6
      “One More Night, One More Naito”
      Using Fei’s blood, Naito has created a serum to stop the Dark Stone progression within his body. But Fei collapses from the process. They need a new source for the serum and plan to abduct Ruri, who holds the power of the Sacred.

Personal Thoughts:
      Well this episode was actually interesting, though not to much really happened other then Ruri being kidnapped and now the race is one to get her back. I kinda hope its a sigh for the show to finally go somewhere, though we'll see if it ends up giving us something to look forward to or not...

Supreme Button!

Innocent

Country
      UK
      AL Points

I must admit, I'm pretty sure I've dropped this anime. I usually give anime a 3 episode period, but this one I just didn't really like after episode 1. Though I'll try and keep an eye on this thread because if it really picks up towards the end, I may give it another shot...Maybe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information