• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Deadman Wonderland [ANIME ONLY! May Contain Spoilers]

Welcome to the second of a set of threads commanded by your resident Anime and Manga Assistant, Raiji. This thread is one of the several series I have opted to Advocate for the Spring 2011 season, as part of the "Anime Advocates" area of the A&M Assistant Scheme.

This title I watch via Crunchyroll, as it is one of the titles they did pick up for the Spring season.

Crunchyroll Link: Deadman Wnderland
      You can like find this likely after a few hours or days on stuff like animeseason or other streaming sites, though if you are a premium member at Crunchy, you will have first dibs access to the series. You can still watch this and others on Crunchy as a free member, you just have to wait a week.

The second one up of the Spring 2011 season I have advocated is the series "Deadman Wonderland" (also written as Japenese- デッドマンワンダーランド). The series is based of the manga of the same title written by Kazuma Kondou, also the author of the well known Eureka 7 series. It is currently slated for 12 episodes at this time.

Series Synopsis:
      Ganta Igarashi has been convicted of a crime that he hasn't committed, and sent to a new, privately owned and operated prison, where the inmates are the main attraction in a modern day twist to the gladiatorial coliseums of ancient times. Throw in a healthy dose of weird little girl, some new-found super powers, and a little conspiracy theory, and you have Deadman Wonderland.

Episode 1 Summary: (Air Date 4-15-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 1
      "Dead Man Walking"
      10 years after an unnatural phenomenon wiped out Tokyo, evacuee Igarashi Ganta lives an ordinary life going to middle school and hanging out with his friends. But the tranquil days come to an abrupt halt when a mysterious "Red Man" appears and massacres Ganta's classmates. Falsely accused of the murders, Ganta is sentenced to death and locked up in the country's only privately owned prison, "Deadman Wonderland." Yet in the midst of his despair, Ganta's new destiny begins to unfold!
      Episode one is pretty much your straightforward first episode, introducing the characters and the series to the viewer. Here you meet the main character, Ganta, who pretty much is excited about the classes upcoming trip it seems to the famous 'Deadman Wonderland', and amusement park/private prison. Unfortunately in enters the 'Red Man/Wretched Egg' and pretty much tears his world apart. Convicted of massacring his entire class because of the 'Red Man', he is summarily found guilty and shipped off to Deadman Wonderland as its newest inmate on Death Row.

Personal Thoughts:
      Being a fan of the manga itself, I already know this series will defiantly become quite interesting as it progresses. Of course, I look forward to seeing how true to the manga they stay with the coming episodes. So far for the first episode, I am pleased t hat it looks like it shows the promise to be an interesting anime adaptation of the series, though I will still recommend reading the manga as well, as it will probably fill in some gaps down the line.
      Of course, the first episode is a bit confusing if you haven't read the manga, but stuff does get explained later on as the series progresses, and one learns more about the 'Deadman' and its attachments to themes of Alice in Wonderland, though mind you in a dark morbid sense akin to American Mcgee's Alice.

So feel free to come in and discuss, ask questions, post favorite images (links preferred for larger images please) and so on. Each week, I myself will add my review and thoughts for the recent episode and at the end I will post a final review and overall score for the series itself. In between though feel free to share your own thoughts and discussion on the series.
      **Please be aware the synopsis for each episode is the official synopsis quoted from the site I watch the series on, with the overview of the series synopsis quoted from ANN or MyAnimeList. Personal versions of the synopsis will be listed below before the Personal Thoughts when I come up with one for each, and will supplement the official synopsis.

Meanwhile please keep your eyes open for the other Anime Advocated titles of the Spring 2011 season by your A&M Assistant, Raiji. The other titles under my Advocation for Spring 2011 are:
      --Ao no Exorcist
      --Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi
      Last edited by Raiji Magiwind; 05-18-2011 at 12:43 AM.

The Alchemist's Whimsical Journal || The Alchemist's Experimentation: AL CA Journal

8-9-3

Shy

Country
      Honduras
      AL Points

Re: Deadman Wonderland [ANIME ONLY! May Contain Spoilers]

This is pretty much my favorite anime this season. I did not know that it was based off of a manga, naturally assuming that it was part of a light novel or visual novel production, I'll certainly check out the manga. Was the introduction in the manga seemingly as rushed as the portion where he's convicted?
      GAMMA FUNKULA

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

It was about the same though a little less rushed....
      The series itself is quite fun to read though.....I believe theres about 43 chapters out at the moment....roughly...

The Alchemist's Whimsical Journal || The Alchemist's Experimentation: AL CA Journal

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 2 Summary: (Air Date 4-23-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 2
      “Antidote (Candy)”
      A major construction accident and Tamaki's musings have only intensified warden Makina suspicion of Ganta. Meanwhile, Ganta gets treated for the injuries he suffered in the accident, and meets Takami Yoh again in the infirmary. Yoh tells Ganta about the upcoming "Dog Race Show," prompting Ganta and a hungry Shiro to enter...
      Treated for his injuries in the prior episode he meets Yoh in the infirmary. There he learns about the "Dog Race". With this race he begins to learn of the deadly games one plays to survive here in the DW.

Personal Thoughts:
      Interesting episode. He enters the Dog Show to win the 100k cast points which would be able to buy him the 'Candy' that would keep him alive. He is beginning to understand it seems that he has to do what he has to to survive and not be killed or die from the poison in his system. I also enjoyed him getting a little closer to Shiro in this episode as well. I look forward to next week...
      Last edited by Raiji Magiwind; 04-24-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Through fire... In Whispers~

Silly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

I think the anime is going pretty well so far, absolutely loved episode 2! Really captured the insanity of it all.
      I also think the VA's were so well chosen for this series! Everyone is exactly how I imagined they would sound... So far.

However, I am very curious on what elements of the storyline they are keeping from the manga. As it seems they have not introduced Azami in episode 2, but instead they seem to have given her first appearance role to You (with the whole Cast Points thing).
      Hmm hmm, It just seems very odd to me they have seemed to excluded her. Though I won't dwell on it here as it may contain a spoiler for things that are to come. XDD

Anyhow! I really liked how they portrayed the relationship between Shiro and Ganta. Their personalities seemed to shine through alot more this episode.
      Even if the majority of Shiro's lines were "Sweet Bean Bread"!

Can't wait for the next episode! C:

Wild "Berry" Knight

Anpan! Anpan! Anpan!

^_^

I just watched Ep 1 and 2 on a whim today, I've never read the manga, but I'm definitely enjoying it so far.....although the whole prison/theme park thing is kinda...wierd ^_^

Watching the ending, I sometimes get the feeling that Ganta isn't going to be the main character for too long. Knowing anime formula though I know this is near impossible.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 3 Summary: (Air Date 4-30-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 3
      “G Block”
      Madness and absurdity rule in Deadman Wonderland. It makes no sense, but it is reality. Ganta can no longer bring himself to smile back at the ever-cheerful Shiro...not when he knows his life is about to expire and there's nothing he can do about it. Yet suddenly, out of nowhere, the true culprit appears! The "Red Man" stands before Ganta!
      Ganta is attacked once more by the Red Man. He wakes in the infirmary to hear a few others talking and one mentions the "G BlocK". So off he goes to find the G Block. What he will find there, may not be all exactly what he looking for though... or at least more then he bargained for...

Personal Thoughts:
      This episode was quite interesting and ending with another cliffhanger. Likely next week we'll see the 'real Deadman Wonderland' and start piecing together bits of the puzzle as to what is all going on and what is happening. As a reader of the manga, I already have a inkling of what will soon come, but I shall remain silent for now. I can tell you it gets crazier from here....
      Last edited by Raiji Magiwind; 05-08-2011 at 01:50 AM.

I absolutely love the opening to this one - both the song and the animation are brilliant. Series itself is shaping up to be great too lol.

Life is Good <3

Pervy

Country
      USA
      AL Points

This is a really good anime in my opinion. I wasnt expecting it to be the way it was...but its different from any that ive ever seen which peaked my interest~

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Episode 4 Summary: (Air Date 5-7-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 4
      “Crow Crow”
      Ganta will learn the true meaning of G Block and what it means to be a Deadman.
      Ganta begins to learn a little more about the Deadman and what is really going on. He is captured and undergoes what one might call his initiation into the 'true' Deadman Wonderland...

Personal Thoughts:

This episode was quite interesting and a bit violent, though nothing compared to the series as it gets later on in the series. I don't know, but it defiantly one of the first subtitled series' I have watched where there is actually censoring of certain vulgarities...Oo... which actually feels weird, but I look forward to how the story goes and such.... I have been actually contemplating doing Shiro maybe later this year for Anime Weekend Atlanta or Youmacon now....we'll see...
      Last edited by Raiji Magiwind; 05-12-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Wild "Berry" Knight

I like Crow....psychotic nutjob...with a fear of boobs ^_^

Spoiler:  
      Knowing that its all of the main characters with somewhat high powers that draw their power from drawing their blood, kinda makes me think Shirow, with her primarily white design with red hints... kinda makes me think she's kinda a "white blood cell" analogy character, perhaps she's the antithesis of the red man, or sin egg, or whatever he's called.

But that's just how I'm foreshadowing it.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Thread managers notes: Since I will be away during the weekend in which episode 6 (5-21-2011) will air, I shall still post up my weekly synopsis and thoughts, though the Episode 6 synopsis and thoughts may be delayed till Monday (5-23) depending on my internet availability. I shall be at Anime Central during the 19th-22nd of this month.

This weeks episode (ep. #5) synopsis and thoughts is not affected.

AL's Guardian and Keeper

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Sorry about the slight delay to post the episode 5 stuff... work and final con prep kept me a little busy...including hand sewing a Timcampy...>>

Episode 5 Summary: (Air Date 5-14-2011)
      Quote Originally Posted by Official Synopsis-Episode 5
      “Carnival of Corpses”
      Ganta has learned many truths in his trip to G Block: About the power he wields, that said power makes him a "Deadman," and the true reason he has been imprisoned in Deadman Wonderland. Yet he has no respite from worry and terror, for now he must face another Deadman in a deathmatch show called the "Corpse Carnival." And if that weren't bad enough, his opponent is Senji Kiyomasa, a.k.a. "Crow," the wild man he just battled in the depths of G Block...

Personal Thoughts:
      Defiantly getting interesting, and even disturbing. I will say this, it does seems to be willing to keep tot he graphic nature of the manga at least, so I can say this series isn't for the faint of heart. I was watching this originally on my phone at work during my break and I actually made a few of my coworkers who tried to watch over my shoulder queasy. Particularly when the Crow had his right eye ripped out.
      Suffice to say I was pretty much...'So did you think all anime was fluffy and rainbows like Pokemon or smutty like some of my Yaoi and Hentai....ha...'
      When I told them the series Gantz was just as bad if not a little worse, they kinda just stared at me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information