• Achy
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arty
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Bitey
  • Cocky
  • Content
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Doh!
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Friendly
  • Fussy
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Horny
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Laughing
  • Loved
  • Ninja'ed
  • No Mood
  • Pervy
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 15 of 18

    1. #1

      Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of geisha?

      I do not have any strong opinion about it.

      What do you think?

      Let's discuss!

      If you want to know more about me:
        Spoiler:  


      I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)
      Information wants to be free. (Stewart Brand)
      The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum—even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate. (Noam Chomsky)
      (about neoliberalism) Instead of citizens, it produces consumers. Instead of communities, it produces shopping malls. The net result is an atomized society of disengaged individuals who feel demoralized and socially powerless. (Robert W. McChesney)
      Liberty without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without liberty is slavery and brutality. (Mikhail Bakunin)
      Man, your head is haunted; you have wheels in your head! You imagine great things, and depict to yourself a whole world of gods that has an existence for you, a spirit-realm to which you suppose yourself to be called, an ideal that beckons to you. You have a fixed idea! Do not think that I am jesting or speaking figuratively when I regard those persons who cling to the Higher, and (because the vast majority belongs under this head) almost the whole world of men, as veritable fools, fools in a madhouse. (Max Stirner)
      No one else can help you discover what you really want and what you really need. You can only discover it yourself. No one else can convince you. You can only convince yourself. No one else can liberate you. You can only liberate yourself. (Who Cares)
      6.373 The world is independent of my will. (Ludwig Wittgenstein)
      Principle of tolerance: we are not in the business of setting up prohibitions but of arriving at conventions (…) In logic there are no morals. Everyone is welcome to set up their logic, i.e., their form of language, as they please. If they want to discuss it with us, though, they need to (…) give syntactical specifications rather than philosophical debates. (Rudolf Carnap, slightly modified)



    2. #2
      Assistant
      is my signature obnoxious enough?
       
      Content
       
      Lolin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Country
      USA
      Posts
      84,097
      Blog Entries
      2
      AL Points
      7,005

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      i like cat cafes are you implying the cats are geishas


    3. #3
      Xabungle in the Jungle
      Now I'm Prune Tracy
       
      Friendly
       
      Citizen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Country
      USA
      Posts
      41,930
      AL Points
      4,485

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      I'm going to go to an oxygen bar and breathe in some geishas.
       

    4. #4

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      Quote Originally Posted by Lolin View Post
      i like cat cafes are you implying the cats are geishas
      No, I don't think they are.

      If you want to know more about me:
        Spoiler:  


      I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)
      Information wants to be free. (Stewart Brand)
      The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum—even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate. (Noam Chomsky)
      (about neoliberalism) Instead of citizens, it produces consumers. Instead of communities, it produces shopping malls. The net result is an atomized society of disengaged individuals who feel demoralized and socially powerless. (Robert W. McChesney)
      Liberty without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without liberty is slavery and brutality. (Mikhail Bakunin)
      Man, your head is haunted; you have wheels in your head! You imagine great things, and depict to yourself a whole world of gods that has an existence for you, a spirit-realm to which you suppose yourself to be called, an ideal that beckons to you. You have a fixed idea! Do not think that I am jesting or speaking figuratively when I regard those persons who cling to the Higher, and (because the vast majority belongs under this head) almost the whole world of men, as veritable fools, fools in a madhouse. (Max Stirner)
      No one else can help you discover what you really want and what you really need. You can only discover it yourself. No one else can convince you. You can only convince yourself. No one else can liberate you. You can only liberate yourself. (Who Cares)
      6.373 The world is independent of my will. (Ludwig Wittgenstein)
      Principle of tolerance: we are not in the business of setting up prohibitions but of arriving at conventions (…) In logic there are no morals. Everyone is welcome to set up their logic, i.e., their form of language, as they please. If they want to discuss it with us, though, they need to (…) give syntactical specifications rather than philosophical debates. (Rudolf Carnap, slightly modified)



    5. #5

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
      I'm going to go to an oxygen bar and breathe in some geishas.
      Heh.

      If you want to know more about me:
        Spoiler:  


      I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)
      Information wants to be free. (Stewart Brand)
      The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum—even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate. (Noam Chomsky)
      (about neoliberalism) Instead of citizens, it produces consumers. Instead of communities, it produces shopping malls. The net result is an atomized society of disengaged individuals who feel demoralized and socially powerless. (Robert W. McChesney)
      Liberty without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without liberty is slavery and brutality. (Mikhail Bakunin)
      Man, your head is haunted; you have wheels in your head! You imagine great things, and depict to yourself a whole world of gods that has an existence for you, a spirit-realm to which you suppose yourself to be called, an ideal that beckons to you. You have a fixed idea! Do not think that I am jesting or speaking figuratively when I regard those persons who cling to the Higher, and (because the vast majority belongs under this head) almost the whole world of men, as veritable fools, fools in a madhouse. (Max Stirner)
      No one else can help you discover what you really want and what you really need. You can only discover it yourself. No one else can convince you. You can only convince yourself. No one else can liberate you. You can only liberate yourself. (Who Cares)
      6.373 The world is independent of my will. (Ludwig Wittgenstein)
      Principle of tolerance: we are not in the business of setting up prohibitions but of arriving at conventions (…) In logic there are no morals. Everyone is welcome to set up their logic, i.e., their form of language, as they please. If they want to discuss it with us, though, they need to (…) give syntactical specifications rather than philosophical debates. (Rudolf Carnap, slightly modified)



    6. #6

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      @Lolin @Citizen

      So you think the answer is no, right?

      If you want to know more about me:
        Spoiler:  


      I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)
      Information wants to be free. (Stewart Brand)
      The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum—even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate. (Noam Chomsky)
      (about neoliberalism) Instead of citizens, it produces consumers. Instead of communities, it produces shopping malls. The net result is an atomized society of disengaged individuals who feel demoralized and socially powerless. (Robert W. McChesney)
      Liberty without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without liberty is slavery and brutality. (Mikhail Bakunin)
      Man, your head is haunted; you have wheels in your head! You imagine great things, and depict to yourself a whole world of gods that has an existence for you, a spirit-realm to which you suppose yourself to be called, an ideal that beckons to you. You have a fixed idea! Do not think that I am jesting or speaking figuratively when I regard those persons who cling to the Higher, and (because the vast majority belongs under this head) almost the whole world of men, as veritable fools, fools in a madhouse. (Max Stirner)
      No one else can help you discover what you really want and what you really need. You can only discover it yourself. No one else can convince you. You can only convince yourself. No one else can liberate you. You can only liberate yourself. (Who Cares)
      6.373 The world is independent of my will. (Ludwig Wittgenstein)
      Principle of tolerance: we are not in the business of setting up prohibitions but of arriving at conventions (…) In logic there are no morals. Everyone is welcome to set up their logic, i.e., their form of language, as they please. If they want to discuss it with us, though, they need to (…) give syntactical specifications rather than philosophical debates. (Rudolf Carnap, slightly modified)



    7. #7
      Assistant
      is my signature obnoxious enough?
       
      Content
       
      Lolin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Country
      USA
      Posts
      84,097
      Blog Entries
      2
      AL Points
      7,005

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      they are, but japan and the rest of the world objectify and abuse women so much that a maid cafe is practically tame compared to the other possibilities


    8. #8

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      (Jut a quick note for the lurkers who aren't sure who geisha were. They were not coutesans (not officially at least). Courtesans were a separate job called oiran.)

      If you want to know more about me:
        Spoiler:  


      I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)
      Information wants to be free. (Stewart Brand)
      The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum—even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate. (Noam Chomsky)
      (about neoliberalism) Instead of citizens, it produces consumers. Instead of communities, it produces shopping malls. The net result is an atomized society of disengaged individuals who feel demoralized and socially powerless. (Robert W. McChesney)
      Liberty without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without liberty is slavery and brutality. (Mikhail Bakunin)
      Man, your head is haunted; you have wheels in your head! You imagine great things, and depict to yourself a whole world of gods that has an existence for you, a spirit-realm to which you suppose yourself to be called, an ideal that beckons to you. You have a fixed idea! Do not think that I am jesting or speaking figuratively when I regard those persons who cling to the Higher, and (because the vast majority belongs under this head) almost the whole world of men, as veritable fools, fools in a madhouse. (Max Stirner)
      No one else can help you discover what you really want and what you really need. You can only discover it yourself. No one else can convince you. You can only convince yourself. No one else can liberate you. You can only liberate yourself. (Who Cares)
      6.373 The world is independent of my will. (Ludwig Wittgenstein)
      Principle of tolerance: we are not in the business of setting up prohibitions but of arriving at conventions (…) In logic there are no morals. Everyone is welcome to set up their logic, i.e., their form of language, as they please. If they want to discuss it with us, though, they need to (…) give syntactical specifications rather than philosophical debates. (Rudolf Carnap, slightly modified)



    9. #9

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      Quote Originally Posted by Lolin View Post
      they are
      Well, the main similarities I can see are the following:

      1. They're not just waitresses.
      2. They wear special uniforms for the job.
      3. Their job is to entertain customers by chatting with them, singing and in general creating good atmosphere.
      4. They're neither hostesses nor prostitutes and they do not offer sex-related services.

      But I'm not sure, if calling them modern geisha is not an overstatement.

      Quote Originally Posted by Lolin View Post
      but japan and the rest of the world objectify and abuse women so much that a maid cafe is practically tame compared to the other possibilities
      True.

      If you want to know more about me:
        Spoiler:  


      I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)
      Information wants to be free. (Stewart Brand)
      The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum—even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate. (Noam Chomsky)
      (about neoliberalism) Instead of citizens, it produces consumers. Instead of communities, it produces shopping malls. The net result is an atomized society of disengaged individuals who feel demoralized and socially powerless. (Robert W. McChesney)
      Liberty without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without liberty is slavery and brutality. (Mikhail Bakunin)
      Man, your head is haunted; you have wheels in your head! You imagine great things, and depict to yourself a whole world of gods that has an existence for you, a spirit-realm to which you suppose yourself to be called, an ideal that beckons to you. You have a fixed idea! Do not think that I am jesting or speaking figuratively when I regard those persons who cling to the Higher, and (because the vast majority belongs under this head) almost the whole world of men, as veritable fools, fools in a madhouse. (Max Stirner)
      No one else can help you discover what you really want and what you really need. You can only discover it yourself. No one else can convince you. You can only convince yourself. No one else can liberate you. You can only liberate yourself. (Who Cares)
      6.373 The world is independent of my will. (Ludwig Wittgenstein)
      Principle of tolerance: we are not in the business of setting up prohibitions but of arriving at conventions (…) In logic there are no morals. Everyone is welcome to set up their logic, i.e., their form of language, as they please. If they want to discuss it with us, though, they need to (…) give syntactical specifications rather than philosophical debates. (Rudolf Carnap, slightly modified)



    10. #10
      The Original Mors
      Awesome
       
      Momogari's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      Country
      Canada
      Posts
      34,394
      Blog Entries
      1
      AL Points
      30,657

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      Shit happens when you put names on things.

      Yeah they're similar function it seems.
      sig by Naoki using Hunter X Hunter screencaps; sticker credits: miwool poronegi sazi Shironappa

    11. #11
      Assistant
      is my signature obnoxious enough?
       
      Content
       
      Lolin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Country
      USA
      Posts
      84,097
      Blog Entries
      2
      AL Points
      7,005

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      Quote Originally Posted by Momogari View Post
      Shit happens when you put names on things.

      Yeah they're similar function it seems.
      i name thee... Momogari


    12. #12

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      Oh no, shit happened!!!

      Hmm, Momogari isn't a thing though. So no shit this time.
      Last edited by unoduetre; 02-19-2020 at 01:24 AM.

      If you want to know more about me:
        Spoiler:  


      I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)
      Information wants to be free. (Stewart Brand)
      The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum—even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate. (Noam Chomsky)
      (about neoliberalism) Instead of citizens, it produces consumers. Instead of communities, it produces shopping malls. The net result is an atomized society of disengaged individuals who feel demoralized and socially powerless. (Robert W. McChesney)
      Liberty without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without liberty is slavery and brutality. (Mikhail Bakunin)
      Man, your head is haunted; you have wheels in your head! You imagine great things, and depict to yourself a whole world of gods that has an existence for you, a spirit-realm to which you suppose yourself to be called, an ideal that beckons to you. You have a fixed idea! Do not think that I am jesting or speaking figuratively when I regard those persons who cling to the Higher, and (because the vast majority belongs under this head) almost the whole world of men, as veritable fools, fools in a madhouse. (Max Stirner)
      No one else can help you discover what you really want and what you really need. You can only discover it yourself. No one else can convince you. You can only convince yourself. No one else can liberate you. You can only liberate yourself. (Who Cares)
      6.373 The world is independent of my will. (Ludwig Wittgenstein)
      Principle of tolerance: we are not in the business of setting up prohibitions but of arriving at conventions (…) In logic there are no morals. Everyone is welcome to set up their logic, i.e., their form of language, as they please. If they want to discuss it with us, though, they need to (…) give syntactical specifications rather than philosophical debates. (Rudolf Carnap, slightly modified)



    13. #13
      The Orange Idol
      I love Arya the mostest!!
       
      Amused
       
      GraceMellody's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Country
      UK
      Posts
      11,141
      Blog Entries
      2
      AL Points
      21,198

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      In a way, I think there are similarities, but I don't know if that would necessarily make them modern geishas
      ~UK Based Idol~
      ~Member of One Wish~
      COME JOIN THE DISNEY CLAN!!!
      ~Video Gaming HMod / Chatroom Mod / Cosplay, Arts & Writing Mod / Disney Queen / Ravenclaw Head Girl~
      Feel free to ask me anything!


        Spoiler:  

      Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online



    14. #14
      Queen of AL~
      The Queens says you are all my slaves!
       
      Awesome
       
      LikkleMel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2015
      Country
      UK
      Posts
      8,276
      Blog Entries
      2
      AL Points
      10,000,000,000,000

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      I've always wondered to Maids of England actually have a cafe or are they more a Idol group?





    15. #15
      The Orange Idol
      I love Arya the mostest!!
       
      Amused
       
      GraceMellody's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Country
      UK
      Posts
      11,141
      Blog Entries
      2
      AL Points
      21,198

      Re: Are maids in maid cafes in Japan a modern, simplified, otaku targeted form of gei

      Quote Originally Posted by LikkleMel View Post
      I've always wondered to Maids of England actually have a cafe or are they more a Idol group?
      MoE provide some idol entertainment, but that doesn't make them an idol group because it's not their primary focus. Basically like, if you're an actor and sometimes need to do dancing, that doesn't make you a dancer?
      As far as i'm aware they're popup only, I don't believe they have a regular location
      ~UK Based Idol~
      ~Member of One Wish~
      COME JOIN THE DISNEY CLAN!!!
      ~Video Gaming HMod / Chatroom Mod / Cosplay, Arts & Writing Mod / Disney Queen / Ravenclaw Head Girl~
      Feel free to ask me anything!


        Spoiler:  

      Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online



    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Animeleague Uses Cookies!
    We use cookies to store session information to remember your login information, to save your website preferences, to provide other functions such as our chat room and to analyse our web traffic. Read our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy.
    Please let us know your cookie preferences.