• Achy
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arty
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Bitey
  • Cocky
  • Content
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Doh!
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Friendly
  • Fussy
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Horny
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Laughing
  • Loved
  • Ninja'ed
  • No Mood
  • Pervy
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 15 of 20

    1. #1
      Moderator
      Hissing in a pit of vipers
       
      Drunk
       
      Beerkeg's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Country
      Estonia
      Posts
      446
      AL Points
      3,000

      Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      I'm a big fan of the 40K universe and I think a TV show would be pretty neat. No idea when it'll happen or how good it will be, but my hopes are high.

      https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-2/
       

    2. #2

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      Still think a series about Gaunt's Ghosts would be better, but that's just me.
       

    3. #3
      Moderator
      Meow!
       
      Friendly
       
      Naughty Kitty's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Country
      USA
      Posts
      4,743
      AL Points
      4,075

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      Coding *pounce*!!!! Also sounds awesome about the show
       

    4. #4
      Moderator
      The infidel is dead
       
      Godly
       
      Moulders's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Country
      UK
      Posts
      28,468
      AL Points
      25,969

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      Well I'm glad they're not focusing on spess marines.

      Imperial guard have such a number of awesome concepts, they could have made a series on Caphius Cain or Colonel Schaefer's Last Chancer's.

      They could even give the awesome Commissar Holt his own lore (although the actor will probs be about 70 now):




      Not to mention:

      1381416716637.jpg
      "Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight on to the end."

      Earl Douglas Haig, Order to the British Army, 12 April 1918

      So death, the most terrifying of ills, is nothing to us, since so long as we exist, death is not with us; but when death comes, then we do not exist. It does not then concern either the living or the dead, since the former it is not, and the latter are no more.

      Epicurus Letter to Menoeceus


    5. #5
      Moderator
      Meow!
       
      Friendly
       
      Naughty Kitty's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Country
      USA
      Posts
      4,743
      AL Points
      4,075

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      I remember reading in the lore about several older commissars using "rejuvenation treatments" (or something?) to help stay in the fight even when they were older. Perhaps that could be used to to let the Commissar appear?
       

    6. #6
      Friendly
       
      Djasmin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Country
      UK
      Posts
      23
      AL Points
      615

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      I'm interested, but I do think it's a shame that they (particularly videogames) focus on humanity so much, as if they're the 'good guys'. Part of what makes 40k so interesting is that humanity is not presented as a force for good, but in fact one of the nastiest forces in the universe! It'd be more fun if they'd base it around a more benign race and show humanity as the menacing power it really is.
       

    7. #7
      Moderator
      Meow!
       
      Friendly
       
      Naughty Kitty's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Country
      USA
      Posts
      4,743
      AL Points
      4,075

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      Which race did you have in mind?
       

    8. #8
      Moderator
      The infidel is dead
       
      Godly
       
      Moulders's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Country
      UK
      Posts
      28,468
      AL Points
      25,969

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      Quote Originally Posted by Djasmin View Post
      I'm interested, but I do think it's a shame that they (particularly videogames) focus on humanity so much, as if they're the 'good guys'. Part of what makes 40k so interesting is that humanity is not presented as a force for good, but in fact one of the nastiest forces in the universe! It'd be more fun if they'd base it around a more benign race and show humanity as the menacing power it really is.
      Er. No.

      The human race isn't nasty, they're just not a touchy feely focus group. Humanity is beset from all sides by the nastiness of the universe, Tyranids, Chaos, Dark Eldar. What humanity is not is free and the storylines in the 40k universe show that sacrifices to freedom in a hostile universe are necessary for survival. Tau does the same just has a better PR machine.
      "Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight on to the end."

      Earl Douglas Haig, Order to the British Army, 12 April 1918

      So death, the most terrifying of ills, is nothing to us, since so long as we exist, death is not with us; but when death comes, then we do not exist. It does not then concern either the living or the dead, since the former it is not, and the latter are no more.

      Epicurus Letter to Menoeceus


    9. #9
      Friendly
       
      Djasmin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Country
      UK
      Posts
      23
      AL Points
      615

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      Quote Originally Posted by Moulders View Post
      Er. No.

      The human race isn't nasty, they're just not a touchy feely focus group. Humanity is beset from all sides by the nastiness of the universe, Tyranids, Chaos, Dark Eldar. What humanity is not is free and the storylines in the 40k universe show that sacrifices to freedom in a hostile universe are necessary for survival. Tau does the same just has a better PR machine.
      It very much is nasty, it's a horrifying dystopian civilisation, the lives of ordinary people are miserable. Not following the state mandated religion is punishable by death. And humanity has the policy of wiping any new planet they find of all life before colonising. It's like living in a combination of hitler's germany and the spanish inquisition. The Tau are far from perfect but at least they are better than mankind. As are most of the other races; even the Orks have a sort of innocence about them compared with humans.
       

    10. #10
      Moderator
      The infidel is dead
       
      Godly
       
      Moulders's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Country
      UK
      Posts
      28,468
      AL Points
      25,969

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      Quote Originally Posted by Djasmin View Post
      It very much is nasty, it's a horrifying dystopian civilisation, the lives of ordinary people are miserable. Not following the state mandated religion is punishable by death. And humanity has the policy of wiping any new planet they find of all life before colonising. It's like living in a combination of hitler's germany and the spanish inquisition. The Tau are far from perfect but at least they are better than mankind. As are most of the other races; even the Orks have a sort of innocence about them compared with humans.
      It is a horrifying dystopian future but it is the practical way of surviving. The adherence to the dictates of the Emperor has kept humanity alive with the brutal crackdowns on heresy preventing as much as possible the enemy within so that humanity can concentrate on the threats of encroaching alien invaders. It is a practical but not necessarily comfortable but preferable to the extinction of humanity. With the future of the existence of the human race on such a knife-edge there is a danger in being excessively compassionate.
      "Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight on to the end."

      Earl Douglas Haig, Order to the British Army, 12 April 1918

      So death, the most terrifying of ills, is nothing to us, since so long as we exist, death is not with us; but when death comes, then we do not exist. It does not then concern either the living or the dead, since the former it is not, and the latter are no more.

      Epicurus Letter to Menoeceus


    11. #11
      Friendly
       
      Djasmin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Country
      UK
      Posts
      23
      AL Points
      615

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      Quote Originally Posted by Moulders View Post
      It is a horrifying dystopian future but it is the practical way of surviving. The adherence to the dictates of the Emperor has kept humanity alive with the brutal crackdowns on heresy preventing as much as possible the enemy within so that humanity can concentrate on the threats of encroaching alien invaders. It is a practical but not necessarily comfortable but preferable to the extinction of humanity. With the future of the existence of the human race on such a knife-edge there is a danger in being excessively compassionate.
      I'm not sure it's fair to say it's the only way, since less sinister ways certainly exist in universe. Don't forget that the Imperium is expansionist, and certainly can't be said to be on the defensive with regards to the various threats out there.

      I'm not complaining, it's one of the reasons 40k is so interesting. Very few media show mankind in such an uncompromisingly bad light. They found a way to make humans not be the boring default race they tend to be elsewhere. I think it's a shame that spin-off media play it down so much.
       

    12. #12
      Moderator
      Meow!
       
      Friendly
       
      Naughty Kitty's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Country
      USA
      Posts
      4,743
      AL Points
      4,075

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      I love reading this thread. I think debates like this are part of why what started as a board game in the 80s continues to attract fans to it's universe even many years later.
       

    13. #13
      Moderator
      The infidel is dead
       
      Godly
       
      Moulders's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Country
      UK
      Posts
      28,468
      AL Points
      25,969

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      Quote Originally Posted by Djasmin View Post
      I'm not sure it's fair to say it's the only way, since less sinister ways certainly exist in universe. Don't forget that the Imperium is expansionist, and certainly can't be said to be on the defensive with regards to the various threats out there.

      I'm not complaining, it's one of the reasons 40k is so interesting. Very few media show mankind in such an uncompromisingly bad light. They found a way to make humans not be the boring default race they tend to be elsewhere. I think it's a shame that spin-off media play it down so much.
      If you were talking about an actual system we see at work in the real world sure it wouldn't be the only way. But it's explicitly stated by the designers that the empire is this way because if it wasn't then the human race would have been extinct long ago.

      I don't think they concentrate on humans too much, just space marines which may be human but they don't have much humanity. Would be better (and cheaper) if they concentrated on Imperial worlds. Throw some squats in there, few ratlings and Ogryns, even have the Tau or Eldar show up then bog off at the end.

      over everything though, the reason why it's mostly written with humanity in mind is that the series are made for humans. A movie from the standpoint of a termagant wouldn't go down well because ultimately shows progress through story and the different races have such an alien mindset that it would be difficult to develop empathy.
      "Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight on to the end."

      Earl Douglas Haig, Order to the British Army, 12 April 1918

      So death, the most terrifying of ills, is nothing to us, since so long as we exist, death is not with us; but when death comes, then we do not exist. It does not then concern either the living or the dead, since the former it is not, and the latter are no more.

      Epicurus Letter to Menoeceus


    14. #14
      Moderator
      Meow!
       
      Friendly
       
      Naughty Kitty's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Country
      USA
      Posts
      4,743
      AL Points
      4,075

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      It is by the way very much a grim dark and it certainly lives up to the name. The lore for the universe is amazing and complex, I think that's part of what makes it so loved.
       

    15. #15
      Moderator
      The Temp
       
      Godly
       
      thederus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Country
      Scotland
      Posts
      19,388
      AL Points
      12,089

      Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

      Well this is certainly a surprise, and I welcome it
      Quote Originally Posted by Aeri View Post
      Thed you're hotter than lava

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Animeleague Uses Cookies!
    We use cookies to store session information to remember your login information, to save your website preferences, to provide other functions such as our chat room and to analyse our web traffic. Read our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy.
    Please let us know your cookie preferences.