• zzzz
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hissing in a pit of vipers

Drunk

Country
      Estonia
      AL Points

Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

I'm a big fan of the 40K universe and I think a TV show would be pretty neat. No idea when it'll happen or how good it will be, but my hopes are high.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-2/

Re: Warhammer 40k is gatting a TV show!

Still think a series about Gaunt's Ghosts would be better, but that's just me.

Meow!

Friendly

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Coding *pounce*!!!! Also sounds awesome about the show

The infidel is dead

Godly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Well I'm glad they're not focusing on spess marines.

Imperial guard have such a number of awesome concepts, they could have made a series on Caphius Cain or Colonel Schaefer's Last Chancer's.

They could even give the awesome Commissar Holt his own lore (although the actor will probs be about 70 now):

Not to mention:

1381416716637.jpg
      "Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight on to the end."

Earl Douglas Haig, Order to the British Army, 12 April 1918

So death, the most terrifying of ills, is nothing to us, since so long as we exist, death is not with us; but when death comes, then we do not exist. It does not then concern either the living or the dead, since the former it is not, and the latter are no more.

Epicurus Letter to Menoeceus

Meow!

Friendly

Country
      USA
      AL Points

I remember reading in the lore about several older commissars using "rejuvenation treatments" (or something?) to help stay in the fight even when they were older. Perhaps that could be used to to let the Commissar appear?

Friendly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

I'm interested, but I do think it's a shame that they (particularly videogames) focus on humanity so much, as if they're the 'good guys'. Part of what makes 40k so interesting is that humanity is not presented as a force for good, but in fact one of the nastiest forces in the universe! It'd be more fun if they'd base it around a more benign race and show humanity as the menacing power it really is.

Meow!

Friendly

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Which race did you have in mind?

The infidel is dead

Godly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Djasmin View Post
      I'm interested, but I do think it's a shame that they (particularly videogames) focus on humanity so much, as if they're the 'good guys'. Part of what makes 40k so interesting is that humanity is not presented as a force for good, but in fact one of the nastiest forces in the universe! It'd be more fun if they'd base it around a more benign race and show humanity as the menacing power it really is.
      Er. No.

The human race isn't nasty, they're just not a touchy feely focus group. Humanity is beset from all sides by the nastiness of the universe, Tyranids, Chaos, Dark Eldar. What humanity is not is free and the storylines in the 40k universe show that sacrifices to freedom in a hostile universe are necessary for survival. Tau does the same just has a better PR machine.
      "Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight on to the end."

So death, the most terrifying of ills, is nothing to us, since so long as we exist, death is not with us; but when death comes, then we do not exist. It does not then concern either the living or the dead, since the former it is not, and the latter are no more.

Friendly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Moulders View Post
      Er. No.

The human race isn't nasty, they're just not a touchy feely focus group. Humanity is beset from all sides by the nastiness of the universe, Tyranids, Chaos, Dark Eldar. What humanity is not is free and the storylines in the 40k universe show that sacrifices to freedom in a hostile universe are necessary for survival. Tau does the same just has a better PR machine.
      It very much is nasty, it's a horrifying dystopian civilisation, the lives of ordinary people are miserable. Not following the state mandated religion is punishable by death. And humanity has the policy of wiping any new planet they find of all life before colonising. It's like living in a combination of hitler's germany and the spanish inquisition. The Tau are far from perfect but at least they are better than mankind. As are most of the other races; even the Orks have a sort of innocence about them compared with humans.

The infidel is dead

Godly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

It very much is nasty, it's a horrifying dystopian civilisation, the lives of ordinary people are miserable. Not following the state mandated religion is punishable by death. And humanity has the policy of wiping any new planet they find of all life before colonising. It's like living in a combination of hitler's germany and the spanish inquisition. The Tau are far from perfect but at least they are better than mankind. As are most of the other races; even the Orks have a sort of innocence about them compared with humans.
      It is a horrifying dystopian future but it is the practical way of surviving. The adherence to the dictates of the Emperor has kept humanity alive with the brutal crackdowns on heresy preventing as much as possible the enemy within so that humanity can concentrate on the threats of encroaching alien invaders. It is a practical but not necessarily comfortable but preferable to the extinction of humanity. With the future of the existence of the human race on such a knife-edge there is a danger in being excessively compassionate.

Friendly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Moulders View Post
      It is a horrifying dystopian future but it is the practical way of surviving. The adherence to the dictates of the Emperor has kept humanity alive with the brutal crackdowns on heresy preventing as much as possible the enemy within so that humanity can concentrate on the threats of encroaching alien invaders. It is a practical but not necessarily comfortable but preferable to the extinction of humanity. With the future of the existence of the human race on such a knife-edge there is a danger in being excessively compassionate.
      I'm not sure it's fair to say it's the only way, since less sinister ways certainly exist in universe. Don't forget that the Imperium is expansionist, and certainly can't be said to be on the defensive with regards to the various threats out there.

I'm not complaining, it's one of the reasons 40k is so interesting. Very few media show mankind in such an uncompromisingly bad light. They found a way to make humans not be the boring default race they tend to be elsewhere. I think it's a shame that spin-off media play it down so much.

Meow!

Friendly

Country
      USA
      AL Points

I love reading this thread. I think debates like this are part of why what started as a board game in the 80s continues to attract fans to it's universe even many years later.

The infidel is dead

Godly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

I'm not sure it's fair to say it's the only way, since less sinister ways certainly exist in universe. Don't forget that the Imperium is expansionist, and certainly can't be said to be on the defensive with regards to the various threats out there.

I'm not complaining, it's one of the reasons 40k is so interesting. Very few media show mankind in such an uncompromisingly bad light. They found a way to make humans not be the boring default race they tend to be elsewhere. I think it's a shame that spin-off media play it down so much.
      If you were talking about an actual system we see at work in the real world sure it wouldn't be the only way. But it's explicitly stated by the designers that the empire is this way because if it wasn't then the human race would have been extinct long ago.

I don't think they concentrate on humans too much, just space marines which may be human but they don't have much humanity. Would be better (and cheaper) if they concentrated on Imperial worlds. Throw some squats in there, few ratlings and Ogryns, even have the Tau or Eldar show up then bog off at the end.

over everything though, the reason why it's mostly written with humanity in mind is that the series are made for humans. A movie from the standpoint of a termagant wouldn't go down well because ultimately shows progress through story and the different races have such an alien mindset that it would be difficult to develop empathy.

Meow!

Friendly

Country
      USA
      AL Points

It is by the way very much a grim dark and it certainly lives up to the name. The lore for the universe is amazing and complex, I think that's part of what makes it so loved.

The Temp

Godly

Country
      Scotland
      AL Points

Well this is certainly a surprise, and I welcome it
      Quote Originally Posted by Aeri View Post
      Thed you're hotter than lava

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information