• Sad
  • Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz

Administrator
      Everything happens for a reason. Whose reason?

zzzz

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Come post your favourite memories/stories here

Got any favourite moments/stories? Share them with us here.
      ---

Re: Come post your favourite memories/stories here

Let's see how long this stays up then. I had my complaint on Facebook removed

The Cosplay Masquerade on Saturday was a pitiful joke. I submitted my daughter's cosplay entry using the web form. It was an inkling girl from Splatoon2 we made. The inktank, the gun, knitted the hat and made the tentacles. We made iron-on Splatoon logos for the T-shirt and the Hat (even some on the shoes) we had to draw the badges on the hat as we couldn't find any to print off online. So apart from the trainers & t-shirt (which we adapted) and a pair of leggings, the whole cosplay was made from scratch. I thought the purpose of the web form was to allow the judges some background of the character if they didn't know it and some information on the level of work involved.

However when we arrived the person 'organising' the cosplayers for the masquerade had no record of our entry she said that 'google docs had failed her' how I don't know I use Google docs for work and it has never 'failed' me.

When it came to my daughters turn they didn't announce her character just her name, the crowd responded accordingly ie not very well. Resulting in her leaving the stage in tears. I'm not being a pushy dad thinking that she should have won but she felt that she wasn't even given a chance because of the above mess.

In fact I would say that over half of the cosplayers didn't have their characters announced or got the wrong music. It's always a shambles this just happened to be the worst perhaps you should think about improving it? Go to an MCM see how they do it.

Future Inn is a terrible venue, it's too small. The gaming room is a claustrophobics nightmare. The trading hall has gone downhill. There are fewer suppliers who have just spread their stuff out. In anycase, they are all selling the same stuff.

Finally if you receive a complaint address it don't delete it. This organisation has got a terrible reputation in the cosplay community now I can see why

The Orange Idol~
      Mother stands for comfort

Friendly

Country
      UK
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

This was my first time attending the Bristol event and I had a lot of fun! It was so much fun seeing Eira perform again, and I of course had a blast performing myself!

I really enjoyed watching the Masquerade on Sunday, and the auction was hilarious too. Draw that anime was really fun too but i'm still sad I didn't get in the game in time ;P

The parties were suuuuuper good too! Saturday especially the music choices were amazing and I had such a blast <3
      ~UK Based Idol~
      ~Member of One Wish~
      COME JOIN THE DISNEY CLAN!!!
      ~Video Gaming HMod / Chatroom Mod / Cosplay & Meets Central Mod / Disney Queen / Ravenclaw Head Girl~
      Feel free to ask me anything!

Spoiler:  

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

Administrator

zzzz

Country
      UK
      AL Points

@Sittingduck I'm sorry if you did not have a good event, however how you spoke to the member of our team during the cosplay masquerade in shouting at her throughout and then storming off was rude and did not help the situation when our team member was doing her best to sort it out for you. Additionally your original post on facebook saw a number of trolls, all of whom did not even attend the event, reply and comment in a very abusive manner to our staff - we only took it down when this occurred some 12 hours later.

We are happy to discuss your issues and go over them, if you wish to be constructive.
      ---

Assistant
      Jumping On My Bed!

Awesome

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by GraceMellody View Post
      This was my first time attending the Bristol event and I had a lot of fun! It was so much fun seeing Eira perform again, and I of course had a blast performing myself!

I really enjoyed watching the Masquerade on Sunday, and the auction was hilarious too. Draw that anime was really fun too but i'm still sad I didn't get in the game in time ;P

The parties were suuuuuper good too! Saturday especially the music choices were amazing and I had such a blast <3

It sounds like you really had a great time Grace, I'm glad was a bit worried with all the over time you put in on the radio, but it sounds like it was a really awesome event, plus that poster you got was super awesome! ^^

My only interaction with the girl was to give the name of the cosplay and the music once we found out it had been lost. I have never been abusive to anybody in a situation like that especially not in front of my daughter. once we got that sorted i chatted to my daughter for a few minutes to make sure she was okay and safe wished her luck and joined the crowd so I could see the show. I didn't storm off I'm 50 years old I'm too old to stop off like a moody teen

In terms of being constructive. Sort it out. If someone isn't up to the job give it to someone else have more people doing it. Make a plan and stick to it apparently they were changing the order again and again.

Look for a better venue Future Inn is not fit for purpose

The replies to the facebook is out of my hands. Most were nice and people requesting pictures of the cosplay. If there was replies that you didn't like you can remove those not the whole thread and the evidence of my complaint.

Hello! Im sittingduck's daughter (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ
      He showed me your response, and I decided to add my take of the convention. uwu
      The level of disorganization was horrible, even for my standards. You'd expect that even with switching the line order 20 times; even with not knowing how to get people into an organised line; that at least I'd get a fair chance in the cosplay masquerade. That when I walked on, my characters name would be announced, and the judges would know what I am supposed to be, right?
      Nope.
      Not. Even. That.
      I normally get pretty bad stage fright whenever I enter a masquerade, but I do it to face my fears and get better.
      This time I was meeted with silence and stares which definately didn't help. You've read this before, but I left crying.

Btw, im not stating I should've won, definately not, but I should've been given a fair chance like anyone who entered.

Administrator

zzzz

Country
      UK
      AL Points

@Sittingduck I feel it'd be better if the staff member in question replied to you directly here about the cosplay masquerade. They'll be doing so shortly.

Regarding the replies, we initially tried removing them, but they were reposted. The fb event system bizarrely does not allow you to ban and remove people who reply from the event (as opposed to thread creators who you can do so), so the entire thread was removed. I hope that clarifies that for you. Tldr; fb is buggy and sucks.

Regarding the rest, I do note in previous replies to this topic you have said that your daughter and her friends enjoyed the event before (your post here). While it is indeed "a bit small", it is sufficient to run a convention at. Of course we continue to look at bigger venues, and if we can find one that is workable we will definitely consider that. Please note however that we are not a comic con, we can't command the attendance you'd see at one of those, nor the funds and resources to spend 10s of thousands on venues. As mentioned though, if something affordable becomes available then we'll definitely look at it.
      ---

Queen of AL~
      meow meow meowww

Silly

Country
      UK
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

I fully understand that there were technical difficulties due to the forms, which I again apologize for. This is getting sorting now as I speak as this was as much of an annoyance for myself as it was for you. We did our best given the situation to grab your music and ensure this was still entered.

To be clear - the order of the line was not changed 20 times, if people were being shuffled around it was because they got themselves out of order by talking and being excited which is usually the case in any cosplay contest.

The judges knew who every cosplayer was as I go back and sit down with them and discuss who they liked, why they liked them and why they think they should win and give them the full list, any reference photos are brought up etc. I am always very careful to ensure that all entrants are treated equally and that judges are in full possession of the facts and do not show bias.

I am being honest in that you were shouting at myself @Sittingduck when I was trying to get through everyone as quickly as possible. You weren't the only ones where your application didn't get through. It wasn't helping the situation at hand. It was not until you left that I was able to speak to your daughter and help sort this matter out.

The Cosplay Masquerade judging is based on the accuracy of the cosplay, stage presence and the craftsmanship of the cosplay. The judges had a very hard decision throughout the weekend as there were some amazing cosplays. Again, I will repeat the judges knew who your character was. I am sorry you both had a bad experience, but we did our best given the issue with the spreadsheet, again a matter that will now be resolved.

Hello Sittingduck!

I'm sorry you feel your child didnt have a fair chance but I can assure you as deputy of stage that all our judges are impartial and that none of them ever disregard any of the entries we receive. I have seen the pictures of your daughters cosplay and while I do not play Splatoon personally I absolutely love her cosplay! I'm hoping to see her again at another con and entering another Masqurade because she has some talent! Be proud of her and encourage her and she'll soon be well on her way to a victory!

JD 🦒

Its the Radio Jack Party

Silly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Glad to hear people have enjoyed it from what I've been told.

@Sittingduck sorry to hear that happened but I know from personal experience, the team would do as much as possible to help. I hope you will both attend next time so she has another chance and keeps on going with her passion of cosplay.

Also, there is no need to ever be 'abusive'. I'm sure every effort was made to make sure your daughter had a great experience and it's a shame if you don't feel that was enough. We all are always looking to improve so thanks for your concerns and we will work on improving this in the future.

The Orange Idol~
      Mother stands for comfort

Friendly

Country
      UK
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

I’d also like to add that although I wasn’t judging at this particular event, I have judged at previous events and I do want to confirm that we do get to see a full list of who has entered as well as their character and whatever information was added, and if it’s a last minute addition or there isn’t enough information then the judges do always try to come around and speak to everyone.

Unfortunately having any kind of issues with the forms is always going to cause a little bit of disorganisation at any event, and I am sorry that you got upset with it but please know that if you get upset in future you can come speak to anyone and there will always be someone there for you!
      ~UK Based Idol~
      ~Member of One Wish~
      COME JOIN THE DISNEY CLAN!!!
      ~Video Gaming HMod / Chatroom Mod / Cosplay & Meets Central Mod / Disney Queen / Ravenclaw Head Girl~
      Feel free to ask me anything!

Spoiler:  

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

good morrow @Sittingduck . My name is Alexander and I am one of the deputies of the northern realms of anime league, I was however helping out during the past Bristol Anime and Gaming con and I was the green arrow cosplayer for reference. I have been working at these conventions for a while and I have also been judging the masquerades for a while in the past too. I chose the judges for this convention because I knew they would all be impartial and all know exactly what to look for in a cosplay worthy of winning a masquerade event and I can honestly say the judges mostly knew the character but the presenter calling out the names only had your daughters name on the form, we had a device swap mid event due to the names and order coming out wrong. The presenter felt So bad about not knowing some of the characters that came out he nearly handed me the mic and just left. He didn't however because I was watching everyone from backstage and I was naming the characters he didn't know as they came out so he could call out the character names as soon as they were leaving the stage so people still knew who they were. Also on a side note a lot of people knew and liked your daughters cosplay, I speak to a lot of the attendees at the cons and i heard a lot of good things about her Splatoon cosplay. Also the judges are given a list of all the entrances and their cosplays so they know ready before they begin judging. I can also say as I was there when the judges were judging that they were fair in their judging but had too many to choose from, your daughters cosplay was in fact up there for an honourable mention but only just got beaten. If she keeps up the hard work that she put into that character into any other cosplays then she is going to go far in the cosplay community. I am very sorry for the technical difficulties that were ongoing throughout the masquerade but we have learned from any and all mistakes and have already put things in place to deter the same thing from happening again be it at Bristol or any other convention. I really do hope you don't stop going to AL cons as they are a lot of fun to attend and to host. I hope to see more of your daughters cosplays in future masquerades. I take pride in my work with Anime League and in my relation to our community, I spend most of the cons when I'm not working walking around talking to anyone and everyone that I can to get some feedback on how they are enjoying the convention or if they aren't then to find out what they aren't enjoying so we can work on improving our cons to be the very best that they can be. small changes can be made over the weekend whereas larger changes such as technical difficulties take a little bit longer and all we can do is apologise and hope to make it up to all who felt like we failed them at the next con they attend. I do hope you both keep coming to our conventions and if you have any other constructive criticism we are more than happy for you to E-mail us so we can chat to you about the issues and work ourselves on resolving any issues within our control.

Hello!

@Sittingduck I am sorry to hear about your experience at the con and I apologise, even though I was not at this particular convention hosted by AL, as a somewhat Part Time Senior Staff Member (I'm not at a lot of the events due to other commitments but I am always trying to improve every convention as best as I can) but I thought I would give my views on the things I have read and only on the things I can comment on. As a bit of perspective also I do other conventions like you have mentioned such as MCM, YCC, Thought Bubble and hopefully soon Insomnia so I have some view on to the organisation of conventions.

So first off Id like to say im sorry to hear about the technical side of things and it messing up during this event. I am going to look into the google docs form area and see what can be improved, there are many different things which could have caused it not to post the information we needed from the form to us and i'll look at narrowing them down and hopefully lower any chance of it causing the problem again. As for the technical side we are always trying to improve on all our technical elements, such as our websites which have recently seen updates as well as our app which has just recently been available to download that we are currently focused on and are looking for feedback on so we can constantly update the app.

For the management of the stage, we are always trying to improve our quality of our staff as it is not always the case we get the same staff members due to once again other commitments. I can't say how the management of stage went for this event but I can say that we always encourage our staff both senior and volunteer to be helpful toward attendees such as yourself. With technical difficulties comes frustration both for yourself and us as staff, but we aim to work best in any problem we are given, in this instance we have failed you but from this we are given a situation we can learn from and improve on in future.

With the items on sale from the traders it is not something we can directly change as it is up to them what stock they bring to these events, it's the same at many conventions such as MCM which boasts a large amount of traders. I personally recommend getting the information or names of these traders, like us they stride to be as helpful as they can and often a lot of them have online stores which show much more of their stock they have available. I would personally like to see more individual artists at our conventions and we are constantly looking for more traders to join us at our conventions.

And one last bit I thought I'd leave a message for your daughter also,
      @InklingCosplay I'm sorry you left crying from the stage, truly am. But at the same time I admire your courage to go onto stage in the first place. I was a performing arts and acting student back when I was in high school and I get how scary it can be on stage. The first performance I did acting I froze and forgot all my lines, ended up walking onto stage and tripping over. A nice 2 minutes of awkward silence during my first high school performance
      I'm sorry you had to go through that, we are trying to learn from our mistakes during the convention. It can be disheartening but don't give up, gathering confidence is great, I spend my time now making a fool of myself open piano in as many cities as possible.

Thank you @Sittingduck and @InklingCosplay for your feedback, sorry for the mistakes during the time at the con but we hope to improve and see you next year. Hopefully we will have made the changes we need and you'll get to see our progress and give us further feedback.

@Ferefire
      P.s
      Best experience of my con, 3 years ago now when I crewed my first event. Shout casting Smash Bros tournament with a friend who introduced me to AL events. I wish we had more tournaments like that where we interacted with attendees more and had a laugh playing games.

Headpat Master~
      The real Paddington Bear~

Friendly

Country
      UK
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Hi. Most of what I would have been said is already above so I won't repeat it. As Arkky says, we are always looking to improve what we do so your issues will be look at and worked on for next time. If you want to talk in private with our staff then you're welcome to email us on info @ animeleague.com or registrations @ animeleague.com
      Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalJed
      I'm ill enough as it is, don't need you bunch of braindead fools nomming on me and making it worse

Thread Information