im a heckin cootiepatootie

Embarrased

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Re: Fruits Basket (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by unoduetre View Post
      Like e.g. the one I mentioned before "After all marriage is the girl's greatest dream" (it's from one of the dialogues).

It things like that were just opinions of some characters, it'd be different. But in this show opinions like that are shared by all characters.
      Aha, some girls just want mozzarella sticks and more Pokemon games. Oh wait, that's me. But in that time period, marriage WAS a huge thing for a lot of women still. I still see what you mean though, nowadays it's a little shaky.

Quote Originally Posted by lolin View Post
      Aha, some girls just want mozzarella sticks and more Pokemon games. Oh wait, that's me.
      Yeah, exactly.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)
      Information wants to be free. (Stewart Brand)

Quote Originally Posted by lolin View Post
      But in that time period, marriage WAS a huge thing for a lot of women still. I still see what you mean though, nowadays it's a little shaky.
      The manga is from 1998 so it's not that old. It's not the early 70s or anything like that.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)

when is lunch
      im a heckin cootiepatootie

Embarrased

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

98 was still 21 years ago. Culture changes a LOT in that time, especially due to the advent of all new technology and the internet.

Also, Arisa and Saki are not so stereotypical, so I like them much more.

Maybe "all" was an exaggeration. Arisa and Saki are great! Unfortunately they do not appear very often.

Oh, here is a nice blog post about Tohru which seems to agree with my perspective of her in many points.

The author also compares her with Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke.

https://shojocorner.wordpress.com/20...-sawako-tohru/

I found Tohru Honda to have absolutely no personality – she never stands up for herself, has no distinct likes or dislikes, and I found her constant positivity to be annoying.
      Ultimately, I think the main reason why Tohru is a far more bothersome character to me than Sawako is because there are far more interesting characters than Tohru in Fruits Basket.
      So while both of these characters are supposed to be the ‘average girl next door’ so that any female fan can relate to them, Kimi ni Todoke shows that ‘average’ doesn’t have to mean ‘boring.’

Oh, I think this type of character is called Mary Sue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
      https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue

…usually are able through some means to upstage the main protagonist of an established fictional setting, such as by saving the hero.
      She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws — either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing.
      She has an unusual and dramatic Back Story. The canon protagonists are all overwhelmed with admiration for her beauty, wit, courage and other virtues, and are quick to adopt her as one of their True Companions, even characters who are usually antisocial and untrusting…
      But some other things do not match, e.g.

They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience…
      She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name. She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare…

Oh, wait. I've found a type of Mary Sue which matches perfectly.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PuritySue

It is a character that is intentionally made by the author to be overly positive. They almost never have any flaws that actually affect them in a way that truly matters, usually going for endearing traits such as "clumsiness" or naïveté, instead getting overloaded with overwhelmingly positive but largely passive traits (i.e. beauty, innocence, etc.). The character will usually be soft-spoken, have a pleasant voice, and be mild-mannered.
      When considering if a character that overlaps with one or more of the other types belong here, keep in mind that Purity Sue pretty much exists to be loved by everybody for being (as the plot tries to suggest) "perfect" (or close enough) in every way that matters.

Assistant
      Happy

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Sorry that I am so late to the convo. I'm just gonna jump in with both feet.

Quote Originally Posted by unoduetre View Post
      Oh, wait. I've found a type of Mary Sue which matches perfectly.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PuritySue
      That is a perfect description.

I'm not too bothered about Tohru. I feel like she is just there so we have a point of comparison between a normie and all the interesting people in her life. She becomes an interesting character only when she is needed to help resolve their emotional problems and then she fades into the background. I'm comfortable with that, 'cus I think it works for the show.
      “There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only the inevitable.” – Yuuko Ichihara, xxxHolic

@Endynyp

Yeah, I'm not really bothered by a single character, because there are other characters which are more interesting. The other point I mentioned is more annoying, but we'll see how it goes. The plot might make different assumptions as it develops. I think it's still very early.

Assistant
      Happy

Country
      UK
      AL Points

@unoduetre I totally see what you mean (re:stereotypical), but I think the characters are designed this way in order to focus on what it's really about: it's really about how people can learn to be good to each other in a world that sucks.
      “There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only the inevitable.” – Yuuko Ichihara, xxxHolic

Watching…

Akito needs his ass kicked by someone it seems.

Assistant
      Happy

Country
      UK
      AL Points

That is Akito's purpose. To be the enemy...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information