• Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Spring 2019 Anime Summaries and Recommendations

The final version is READY!!!

There are no spoilers here, I've just used the spoiler tags.

The part outside the spoiler tags is relatively neutral. The part inside is my personal opinion.

If you have any questions about a particular anime I can answer them. If you disagree with anything, let me know.

New series

Carole & Tuesday

Music. Two girls. Great art and animation. You know what is the best anime in this season, right?

http://caroleandtuesday.com/ (the website has an English version )

Spoiler:  
      ❤️❤️❤️ Shinichiro Watanabe. If you can only watch one anime in this season, watch this one. It's a must watch. I gonna watch it.

Sarazanmai

Supernatural. Comedy. Wacky. Amazing art and animation. Three boys get turned into kappa. It reminds me of Mawaru Penguindrum (probably because it's directed by the same person). This anime will take you for a ride.

Spoiler:  
      ❤️❤️ Those backgrounds!!! BACKGROUNDS!!! I wonder if there is a limit on how weird this show can get, ha ha. Definitely watch it. I gonna watch it.

Fairy Gone

Fantasy. Magic. Action. Police. Amazing art and animation. Great background music. A world after a war. Similar to the first half of the 20th century in our world. Some similarities to Persona.

Spoiler:  
      ❤️❤️ I really like the main female character. But I think the show should be more focused on her than the other events. Still, the show seems to be one of the best in this season. Definitely watch it! I gonna watch it.

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Horror. Historical. Vampires. Demons. Shounen. Fights. Great art and animation. The life of one boy was definitely too peaceful. Now he must protect his sister. Protect her from s…

Spoiler:  
      ❤️ I like the vampiric elements. The art and animation in this show are really good! Shounenish elements might be annoying sometimes, but they're not overwhelming. Watch it, if you like this genre. I gonna watch it.

Hitori Bocchi's ○○ Lifestyle

Comedy. School. A socially awkward girl must make friends.

Spoiler:  
      ❤️ This seems to be the best comedy anime of the season. Although the general idea is not new, the skits are done very well and the characters have different personalities. Watch it if you like this genre. I gonna watch it.

Midnight Occult Civil Servants

Police. Supernatural. It's slightly similar to NCIS but not so focused on case solving. It's about a police unit dealing with different types of supernatural beings.

Spoiler:  
      ❤️ I like how this show combines many different mythologies, including the Japanese one, the Christian one and even one of the native American ones. If you liked NCIS you might like this one as well. I think I might enjoy it. Watch it if you like this genre. I gonna watch it.

Fruits Basket

Supernatural. School. Reverse harem. Shoujo. Great art and animation. A girl starts living with a group of boys, but who are they really? There is something mysterious going on. Especially for one of them. What is hidden in his past?

Spoiler:  
      ❤️ The main character is too "perfectly good" and it is annoying sometimes. But her closest friends are cool. For now the reverse harem setting is pretty predictable, but it might get better later. Watch it if you like this genre. I gonna watch it.

Mix: Meisei Story

Slice of Life. Sport (baseball). School. Two brothers and their sister. The brothers play baseball. This anime is a sequel, but it's not necessary to know the first one, because the characters are completely different. This anime has very classical 80s sport anime look and feel (e.g. Captain Tsubasa etc.). That's a good thing!

Spoiler:  
      ❤️ This anime is both a slice of life anime and a sport anime. It seems to be pretty good. Watch it if you like this genre. I haven't decided yet, if I want to watch it or not. I like neither sport anime nor slice of life anime, but for some reason this gives me different vibes. So I might watch it after all.

Senryuu Girl

Romantic comedy. School. A girl speaks with senryuu (poems similar to haiku, they have identical syllable structures (usually 5-7-5), the difference is that haiku are serious poems about nature and senryuu are funny poems about people).

Spoiler:  
      ❤️ The older sister is great! Also the boy is a funny character. Watch it if you like this genre. I might watch it.

Chou Kadou Girl ⅙: Amazing Stranger

Comedy. An otaku owns a figurine. It reminds me of Frame Arms Girl.

Spoiler:  
      ❤️ And she moves. It seems to be an average show, but for an otaku like me it might make me laugh. Only for true otaku. Watch it if you like this genre. I might watch it.

RobiHachi

Action. Science-fiction. Wacky comedy. It reminds me of things like Space Dandy, Tiger and Bunny, Double Decker! Doug & Kirill, Lupin III etc.

Spoiler:  
      ❤️ Yeah, the humour and the weird moments are similar to the anime mentioned above. That's not a bad thing! Watch it if you like this genre. I might watch it.

YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world.

Science-fiction. Alternative realities. Time travel. Ecchi. Great art and animation. It is a bit similar to Steins;Gate.

Spoiler:  
      ❓ It's based on an erotic visual novel, so keep it in mind while watching it. I have read about the visual novel in "Otaku: Japan's Database Animals" by Hiroki Azuma, which is a serious book about cultural anthropology, postmodernism, popculture and the mindset of people (and especially otaku) nowadays. To explain it simply, the author used this game as an example of how people nowadays see the world not as a single story, but as a set of separate stories in which they can participate and which they can choose. The problem with this anime is that the game was better. Studio feel seems not to be very good at creating coherent plots and it shows in this anime as well. Also the characters in the game better matched the events. It's not a bad anime, but I think it's lost potential. Are you sure you don't want to play the game instead of watching this? I am not sure yet, if I watch it or not. Probably I will until the bad elements in the plot start to annoy me.

Afterlost (Shoumetsu Toshi)

Science-fiction. Action. Psychic powers. A girl is a sole survivor of a weird tragedy. A freelance courier must deliver a parcel. It reminds me of Dimension W in some ways.

Spoiler:  
      ❓ It went downhill from the second episode. The plot became too fast and some moments and actions of the characters seemed to be there only to push the plot and they seemed to be forced. I suppose one of the reasons is that it's based on a game and it became visible from the second episode, although I haven't played the game, so I might be wrong. I might watch it for the time being, but I will drop it, if the bad elements of the plot keep being annoying.

Stop This Sound!

School. Music. A delinquent wants to join a school koto club.

Spoiler:  
      ❓ And he has a tearjerking background story. He will probably learn how to play koto. It's not a bad anime, but I've already seen so many based on similar ideas. Are you sure you want to watch it? I won't watch it.

Mr. Nobunaga's Young Bride

Comedy. A 14yo girl who would have become a wife of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oda_Nobunaga gets teleported into modern day Japan.

Spoiler:  
      ❓ Expect loli jokes and old vs. new jokes. Are you sure you want to watch it? I won't watch it.

Magmel of the Sea Blue

Adventure. Shounen. Superpowers. A new continent with weird creatures suddenly appeared. It's time to explore it! And someone needs to take care of those explorers after they fail.

Spoiler:  
      ❓ It is episodic. It seems each episode will cover a separate story. I don't like episodic shows. Are you sure you want to watch it? I won't watch it.

The Helpful Fox Senko-san

Cute girls. Slice of Life. A fox demigoddess helps a tired salarymen with house chores and pampers him.

Spoiler:  
      ❓ I think this show won't have a plot. You can also feel pampered by the fox girl if you keep watching after the ED. Watch it if you are a furry or have other animal fetishes or you don't care about plots and only care about cute girls. I won't watch it probably.

Ao-chan Can't Study!

Romantic comedy. Ecchi. School. A girl has a pervert as her dad.

Spoiler:  
      ❓ This show is so cliche. The romance is pretty basic. The jokes will soon get boring. But there are some good elements as well. Are you sure you want to watch it? I won't watch it.

BokuBen, We Can't Study

School. Geniuses vs average students. A student tutors another three students. It reminds me of The Quintessential Quintuplets.

Spoiler:  
      ❓ It might be funny sometimes, but you won't gain too much by watching this anime. It's cliche and average in general. Are you sure you want to watch it? I won't watch it.

Hachigatsu no Cinderella Nine

Sport (baseball). School. A group of girls starts a school baseball team.

Spoiler:  
      ❓ Two of them can play, the third one has a background story and the fourth one is physically and mentally handicapped (but hey, she's kawaii). It's a pretty stereotypical sport anime. Are you sure you want to watch it? I won't watch it.

Why the hell are you here, Teacher!?

Erotic. Comedy. School. A high-school students' fantasy about having sex with their teachers.

Spoiler:  
      ❓ Let's wait for the uncensored version so at least I can fap. Are you sure you want to watch it? I won't watch it.

Namu Amida Butsu!: Rendai Utena

Cute boys. Supernatural. A pair of buddha moves from the heavenly realm to live on Earth.

Spoiler:  
      ❓ A bit boring, no real plot so far, but the boys are cute. Watch it only if you don't care about plots and only care about cute boys. I won't watch it.

Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki

Making fun of Japanese dialects.

Spoiler:  
      ❓ Do you know enough Japanese to enjoy this anime? I won't watch it.

Joshikausei

School. Comedy. Ecchi. It wasn't necessary to hire voice actors.

Spoiler:  
      ❌ It's also not necessary to watch this anime. I won't watch it.

Kenja no Mago

Isekai. Magic school.

Spoiler:  
      ❌ Please! Enough of this. I won't watch it.

Isekai Quartet

Comedy. Parody. Chibi. 4 groups of characters from 4 different isekai get isekaied to a school.

Spoiler:  
      ❌ The second level of isekai. I puked with the first level already. To hell with it! I won't watch it.

Continuations

Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season

Spoiler:  
      ❤️❤️ It should be as good as the first 2 seasons. Which means pretty good! I will watch it.

One Punch Man 2nd Season

Spoiler:  
      ❤️ The One Punch Man sequel but with worse art and worse animation. I might watch it.
      Last edited by unoduetre; 04-30-2019 at 09:28 AM.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)
      Information wants to be free. (Stewart Brand)

Assistant
      Jumping On My Bed!

Awesome

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Re: Spring 2019 Anime Summaries and Recommendations

We will be here waiting for them Uno! ^^

Thanks and wait ^ w ^

Content

Country
      USA
      AL Points

@unoduetre looking forward to your thoughts on this season. Anything you're specifically looking forward to so far?

@drill

Fruits Basket seems to be the headliner. It might be pretty good. I should enjoy the third season of Bungou Stray Dogs as well. Fairy Gone is from P.A. Works and this studio often delivers really high quality stuff. Carole & Tuesday is directed by Shinichirou Watanabe and you know what it means. If not, check his other works. Shoumetsu Toshi is from Madhouse, so it might be great as well. Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin also seems interesting. Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO is based on a very interesting VN, which I read about in a serious book, but I do not believe studio feel can do it properly, but I'll check. It's something like Steins;Gate but older, so one could ask a question if Steins;Gate got the ideas from this one. Sarazanmai looks very interesting visually so I hope it's good.

As far as films are concerned, I'll certainly watch Seishun Buta Yarou wa Yumemiru Shoujo no Yume wo Minai (the sequel film to Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai). Promare also seems interesting (it's in the spirit of Kill la Kill and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann).

But of course I'll watch the first 3 episodes of almost all shows (besides ones in the genres I do not like, e.g. sport and historical (although there are exceptions, I enjoy Dororo for example, but it had an unrealistic element, so I could enjoy it as a horror)).

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)

Assistant
      Jumping On My Bed!

Awesome

Country
      USA
      AL Points

*curls up and purrs softly while she waits*

Content

Country
      USA
      AL Points

@unoduetre

Glad I asked Carole & Tuesday would have completely slipped under my radar otherwise (not really sure how it did). Really hope YU-NO isn't a repeat of RErideD, as the director doesn't really stand out as someone outstanding, plus studio feel messed up OreGairu which was fun until season 2 when they took over. Willing to give it a chance though. Fairy Gone looks pretty good too.

@drill

As far as studio feel is concerned…

I still remember Island (dropped). I don't know if the original material was bad or not, but the plot in the anime stopped to make sense to me from some point in time. This one might be better, but I do not put my expectations too high.

I think I read an opinion somewhere saying that they are not very good with plots in general, but maybe my memory is wrong.

I also dropped Hinamatsuri.

I haven't seen too many anime from them though.

Content

Country
      USA
      AL Points

@unoduetre

Looking at their list of shows, seems like I've watched (or at least have attempted to watch) a decent number of these without realizing it. Only one I actually finished an enjoyed was Hinamatsuri though, everything else was pretty meh. Will probably wait to see what your reaction is after 3 episodes, but yeah, hopes for this show have kinda been crushed now.

Cool

Country
      UK
      AL Points

I can't wait for BSD ;.;

Also I want to see if J.C Stuff can handle OnePunch Man as good as Mappa did.

by HentaiSenpai

Quote Originally Posted by NataliaJulia View Post
      I can't wait for BSD ;.;
      +1

Quote Originally Posted by NataliaJulia View Post
      Also I want to see if J.C Stuff can handle OnePunch Man as good as Mappa did.
      My expectations are low, but we'll see.

Head Moderator
      ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

Depressed

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

I've been sick the last five days. Annoys me that I've not watched any new anime.

No worries, the new season has just started.

Assistant
      Jumping On My Bed!

Awesome

Country
      USA
      AL Points

that is true still so much for Uno to watch! ^^

The Original Mors
      Awesome

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Oh Fruits Basket has a new adaptation? Is that what you're watching, not the old one?

And I liked Hinamatsuri, I don't think I completely finished it though. I didn't know there's a new one. I'll watch it.

What is BSD in this context?dandy.png
      Last edited by Momogari; 04-13-2019 at 11:50 PM.
      sticker credits: sazi Yagi the Goat Shironappa

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information