• Sad
  • Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello from Jinxie, and here's (finally) my art.

Hi guys!

I joined the board quite some time ago, introduced myself, and then flounced off with promises to come back and post some of my artwork... And many weeks later, here I am crawling back with hearty apologies for being unsociable and not actually posting anything. Sorry! Have been up to my ears in, well, life, but also writing writing and yet more writing my comic. Which is getting there, after quite a number of false starts. Which is very me. Anyway, the script is actually happening and I've gotten to the point where I'm actually getting some artwork done as well, so I thought I would show a few of the more recent examples - plus two that are hot off the press this week.

The two images of the girl with the crow are my newest - her name is Aponia Shone, or Pon for short, and the crow's called Macha. Pon is the main character from my comic, which is called the Siren of Aiges. The other two images are Jinx - so, well, my online identity. Which is nothing like what I look like in real life, but hey, as a manga obsessive and someone of very blurry gender (I identify as non-binary), I figured what the heck. It's nice to look cute somewhere in the universe, even if it's only as a series of ones and zeros!

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, I outline in pencils and ink on a drawingboard, then scan and add colour/tone using photoshop. The first colour Jinx image was done laboriously with a mouse; since then, I've gotten a Wacom tablet, and after poking it with a stick for a couple of months, I finally started to properly use it - the colour Pon/Macha is my first proper digital painting with it. Am quite pleased, though I do need to work faster.

Anyway, I'm gonna post this, and hope it works. I will post more images as I go, plus info on the comic as it unspools from my computer.

Jinx xx
      Attached Images

Princess of Darkness
      Rawr

Friendly

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Re: Hello from Jinxie, and here's (finally) my art.

This is amazing!

Thank you for posting

formally known as Catacombs
      JOIN US IN THE CAT CLAN

Thank you! It's really comfy holed up in my tiny studio, but I know I gotta get my work out there even if it's scary, so it's lovely to get a positive response! Much appreciated!

Head Moderator
      ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

Depressed

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Oh wow.... Incredible work! I love how much detail you've worked into all of these! Love the shading, these just leap out at you! Very exquisite! Wonderful proportions, very realistic!

Ah thank you! Actually, I sometimes see my obsession with detail a bit of a curse... It's sort of a strength but it makes me work too slowly and I struggle with the bigger, broader aspects because of it - like remembering to actually plan a composition! Eugh... Writing's like that too... I catch myself rewriting and rewriting half a page of dialogue, and then realise I've entirely forgotten a whole section of that chapter's plan in the process. Ho hum. Am trying to learn!

Princess of Darkness
      Rawr

Friendly

Country
      USA
      AL Points

I tend to do that too.I am a bit of a perfectionist at times.

formally known as Catacombs
      JOIN US IN THE CAT CLAN

Head Moderator
      ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

Depressed

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

I've trashed many an effort and started over, trying to get that one detail worked out. So many sketchup models.... So I had to sit down and figure out how to avoid those complete wipe jobs so they don't happen so often. Working in stages helps. Today I do the base, and that's stage one. Then tomorrow I'll work on the plinth, and that's stage two. etc. And by breaking up the build into smaller pieces, if I have to redo a stage, that doesn't affect the rest of the build.

I have, however, absolutely no idea how you'd apply that to your drawing.

With writing, the important thing to remember is that in the first draft, it doesn't have to be perfect. You're actually still just working it out, so really at this point perfection is the enemy. Take your internal editor, tie them up and gag them, and stick them in the closet for now. The important thing is to finish the draft. Once it's done, and you know how the story is supposed to go, you can go back in and rewrite your draft to polish it. You could do several rewrites, but the important thing is that you're no longer figuring it out, you know where the story is supposed to go and how to get there.

Ah, that's interesting. For me, with both drawing and writing, it's planning that gets me working properly. I can say from many many failures that just sitting and blatting out a draft of writing leads to an incomprehensible mess with me. I have to plan, and then carefully work to that plan and be really disciplined about it. And even then, I'm looking at 5-7 drafts before something starts to come together. Perfect is never on the cards! Really, the same goes for drawing - lots of working it out, sketching, colour planning, thumbnails, studies, before I even get to the main work. And then you just start broad, putting down the basic blocking, sorting out light direction, gamut etc. But even then I can forget something fundamental. It's not a wish to be perfect, for me it's too much enthusiasm - I just get lost in the detail - which is different. Kind of like Grady Tripp in Wonder Boys - with his never-ending opus - I just don't know where to stop sometimes!

Oddly enough, music composition works differently, I've found. With that, you can spend a whole day on just four bars, working in as deep a texture as you like, or starting with a topline, chord arrangement, a tempo, a rhythmic figure, it doesn't matter. I remember reading Reeves Gabrels once started with the firing sequence to a V12 engine! Was an unusual piece of music though...

Head Moderator
      ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

Depressed

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxie View Post
      Ah, that's interesting. For me, with both drawing and writing, it's planning that gets me working properly. I can say from many many failures that just sitting and blatting out a draft of writing leads to an incomprehensible mess with me. I have to plan, and then carefully work to that plan and be really disciplined about it. And even then, I'm looking at 5-7 drafts before something starts to come together. Perfect is never on the cards! Really, the same goes for drawing - lots of working it out, sketching, colour planning, thumbnails, studies, before I even get to the main work. And then you just start broad, putting down the basic blocking, sorting out light direction, gamut etc. But even then I can forget something fundamental. It's not a wish to be perfect, for me it's too much enthusiasm - I just get lost in the detail - which is different. Kind of like Grady Tripp in Wonder Boys - with his never-ending opus - I just don't know where to stop sometimes!

Oddly enough, music composition works differently, I've found. With that, you can spend a whole day on just four bars, working in as deep a texture as you like, or starting with a topline, chord arrangement, a tempo, a rhythmic figure, it doesn't matter. I remember reading Reeves Gabrels once started with the firing sequence to a V12 engine! Was an unusual piece of music though...
      I remember reading a story about a Japanese artist who was approached by a man who asked for a drawing of a cat. However, each time the man came over to the Artist's place, he'd be told, "not today, maybe tomorrow." After a year of this, the guy bursts in on the artist and demands his cat drawing. The artist sat down, put down a piece of paper, picked up his brush, and drew the cat. And it was perfection. The patron asked, "If you could just draw it like that, why did I have to wait a year for this?"

The artist opened a cabinet - and out spilled hundreds of cat drawings.

Planning is very important. Practice too.

when is lunch
      im a heckin cootiepatootie

Embarrased

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the iota of detail on these pieces

your crow's got character and pon's jacket has allllllllllllllllll the bells and whistles~

(also if it helps, i'm trans so fight onward, nyan-binary kindred)

Mod
      There’s always one...

Annoyed

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Wow, gotta day, some amazing stuff there

Quote Originally Posted by Expendable View Post
      I remember reading a story about a Japanese artist who was approached by a man who asked for a drawing of a cat. However, each time the man came over to the Artist's place, he'd be told, "not today, maybe tomorrow." After a year of this, the guy bursts in on the artist and demands his cat drawing. The artist sat down, put down a piece of paper, picked up his brush, and drew the cat. And it was perfection. The patron asked, "If you could just draw it like that, why did I have to wait a year for this?"

The artist opened a cabinet - and out spilled hundreds of cat drawings.

Planning is very important. Practice too.
      I like that! Yes, I have a whole plan chest full of failures.

Also reminds me (inversely) of the story about Sibelius's unfinished final symphony. A close friend had gone to visit him - he'd locked himself away after the success of the 7th symphony (which is admittedly magnificent) to write the next and had gotten stuck. His friend went to interview him, and found Sibelius pacing the cabin like a caged animal. Eventually, after trying to coax a glimpse of this next work, Sibelius uttered a howl of despair and stuffed the whole lot in the fire, while his friend looks on, aghast.

The act of creating anything is an interesting one, innit?

Quote Originally Posted by omfgzergrush View Post
      i LOVE LOVE LOVE the iota of detail on these pieces

your crow's got character and pon's jacket has allllllllllllllllll the bells and whistles~

(also if it helps, i'm trans so fight onward, nyan-binary kindred)
      Thanks!

Nyan-binary - I like that. I am nyan-binary... I will need the cat ears though!

Than you! I like your drawings too, had a quick squizz and they're very good!

when is lunch
      im a heckin cootiepatootie

Embarrased

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

aw shucks, you're much better than i, but thank you nonetheless ;-;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information