• Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winter 2019 Anime Summaries and Recommendations [VERY Minor Spoilers]

Below are summaries of the anime in this season (only new series). I have added my personal opinions about every show inside the spoiler tags. Enjoy!

If you have any questions about a particular anime I am happy to answer them. If you disagree about any of the summaries, please, let me know, so I can correct them to give a fairer view.

Domestic Girlfriend

A serious romance. Adult themes. Two women, one man. Amazing art and animation. Probably the best in this season. A great opening. Recommended not only to people who like romances. It's not a romantic comedy, but a real romance with interesting characters and complicated circumstances they're in. And it's not only about love. I'd say that love is secondary so far, but probably it will change later as the plot progresses.

Spoiler:  

One of my favourite shows in this season. Watch it! The characters and the situation they're in are so interesting! It's a serious candidate for the show of the season. I watch it.

Dororo

A horror. Demons. Feudal Japan. Two unusual young men. Trying to reclaim what's lost. A great opening and ending. Recommended to people who like demonic stuff and historical themes. Great art and animation.

Spoiler:  

Another contender for the show of the season. I usually don't watch anything historical, but this show is much more than that. I think you should be satisfied if you like horrors or dark fantasy. I watch it.

The Promised Neverland

An action horror. Kids. An orphanage. But something is not right with it. It's more like a concentration camp. Each kid has a number tattooed on its neck. A great opening. Watch it if you like smart characters trying to escape.

Spoiler:  

Do you like shows about prison breaks? This one might be something for you. But the characters are children, so it might be a slightly different experience. One of the top shows of this season. I watch it.

The Price of Smiles

A show about politics and war. Two countries with two totally different political systems. One looks like a paradise where everyone is happy. You know it can't be true, right? Recommended to people who like mecha, war and politics with some interesting characters and a possibility of some great character development. This show is full of contrasts. The first episode is totally different from the second one. This show might really surprise you.

Spoiler:  

I really like the contrast between the illusion of happiness and the truth about the world. One of the top shows of this season. I watch it.

Revisions

A post-apocalyptic science-fiction mecha anime. A time travel. Two fighting factions. But they are not the good one and the bad one. Each of them has its own point of view and its own reasoning. The characters need to decide which one they want to support. The art and the animation is great as well. I recommend this anime to all fans of science-fiction, mecha and post-apocalyptic themes.

Spoiler:  

One of the top shows of the season. It seems to be the best science-fiction show in this season. Of course I watch it! I am not a huge fan of mecha, but the science-fiction elements seem to be interesting and it's good to see that none of the factions is clearly the good one or the bad one.

Mysteria Friends

A school of magic show. The episodes are quite short but very enjoyable. Would you like Harry Potter with some friendly demonic characters? I recommend it to people who want to see something more lightweight. You don't need to watch Rage of Bahamut before watching this one. It's an unrelated story.

Spoiler:  

I don't expect that much will happen in this show, but it's still pleasurable to watch. It's not really a slice of life show, but there are some elements of it. I watch it.

Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka

An action show. Magical girls and police operations? This combination seems to work so far. Veterans. Important life decisions. Dealing with the past. Straight face jokes. Recommended to fans of unusual magical girl shows.

Spoiler:  

I wondered if the combination of magical girls and police operations worked. It seems to be an interesting one so far. I hope they'll keep doing the good job, but there is also a possibility it'll get boring. But it's good so far. I watch it.

The Rising of the Shield Hero

A game-like fantasy. Isekai. There is an unusual main character for this kind of shows. For example he is not overpowered. I recommend it to gamers and fans of isekai and game-based fantasy. There are some similarities (and many differences, e.g. it's not ecchi) to How Not to Summon a Demon Lord. If you liked that show, you might like this one as well.

Spoiler:  

There are some good parts of this show. The development of the story of the main character was interesting. Nevertheless this show contains some questionable content. And no, it's not what people are discussing on the Internet. False accusation of rape happens. (Wikipedia says this: "It is difficult to assess the true prevalence of false rape allegations, but it is generally agreed that, for about 2% to 10% of rape allegations, a thorough investigation establishes that no crime was committed or attempted.") Other questionable content—related to female slavery. (No one has noticed, right?) Besides the main character, there doesn't seem to be too many things which are different from other similar shows. I might drop it.

Boogiepop Never Laughs

Elements of a horror. Mysterious events. Characters and the viewer trying to understand what's happening. If you you like to solve mysteries like that, you should be satisfied.

Spoiler:  

I watched the previous show with the same name and it seemed to be much more like a proper horror. It also seemed to be better and more interesting than this one. So I'm a bit disappointed. I think I'll watch it, but I might drop it if I get bored.

My Roommate is a Cat

A slice of life show. A single writer writing a book about his cat. Imagine yourself trying to understand what your cat thinks. This anime shows both the human and the cat perspective. It's like Garfield, but the style of comedy is different, there are some more serious moments and there is more cat stuff. I recommend it to everyone who likes cats.

Spoiler:  

I am neither a fan of slice of life shows nor a huge fan of cats so I won't watch it. But cat fans should be more than happy. Really! This show seems to do a good job explaining things from the cat's perspective.

The Magnificent Kotobuki

An alternative history show. A group of pilots fighting pirates in the sky, Watch them winning their fights with some amazing skills. A mostly CGI show. The airplanes are well animated. I recommend it to people interested in air fights.

Spoiler:  

I might watch it. So far they're mostly fighting and discussing their fights. But there is a possibility for the plot to develop in the further episodes.

Grimms Notes The Animation

A fantasy based on some famous fables you should recognise. Episodic but with some plot continuity. A group of people entering fables. I recommend it to people who like fable based fantasy.

Spoiler:  

It's not bad so far. It's not the top one, but it might be an ok show. I suppose I gonna watch it, unless it gets boring.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War

A comedy. A girl and a boy trying to make the other one confess. Episodic. Every episode is a round in their battle. I recommend it to people who like school comedies.

Spoiler:  

It's episodic. There is no real plot. It's boring. I won't watch it.

Kemurikusa

A weird, mysterious post-apocalyptic show. It's weird in the same way as Kemono Friends. CGI art, a lot of it of bad quality. But the story seems to be ok. I recommend it to people who liked Kemono Friends. You should get a similar vibe from this one.

Spoiler:  

I am not sure if I watch it or not. Kemono Friends didn't explain anything. It was just a weird show. I expect this one to be similar. It was created by the same authors. I might watch a couple of episodes until I get bored.

Wataten! An Angel Flew Down to Me

A slice of life show. A young cosplayer meets an even younger girl and gets interested in her. She wants to spend more time with her and make her try the costumes. Recommended to people who liked Our Maid is Way Too Annoying!

Spoiler:  

You should watch Our Maid is Way Too Annoying instead. The characters in Wataten are much worse than the ones in Uzamaid. I won't watch it.

Endro~!

A slice of life show combined with game-based fantasy and magic school. I recommend it to people who like cute girls doing cute things in a fantasy environment.

Spoiler:  

There is nothing besides cute girls doing cute things in this show. I won't watch it.

Pastel Memories

A mobile-game based show combined with slice of life. A group of maids drinking tea and fighting enemies. I recommend it to people who like mobile games.

Spoiler:  

It's boring and silly. The plot doesn't seem to exist. I expected much more from this show considering the summary, but it didn't deliver. I won't watch it.

W'z

Despite a different title, it's a sequel to Handsharkers, so I won't discuss it here.

The Quintessential Quintuplets

A harem show. Quintuplets and a single boy trying to be their tutor. It won't be so easy to make them interested in learning. But the guy should manage somehow. I recommend it to fans of harem shows.

Spoiler:  

The story is so predictable and the chracters are totally uninteresting. There are many better harem shows if you like the genre. I won't watch it.

Meiji Tokyo Renka

A reverse harem show. Cute boys trying to help a girl who got transported to the Meiji era. Will she be able to come back? I recommend it to people who like otome visual novels.

Spoiler:  

There are cute boys and that's all, it seems. I won't watch it.

Dimension High School

A combination of live action footage with anime. A group of high-school students trying to solve some riddles. Every episode seems to have 2 riddles. Episodic. I recommend it to people who like logical riddles and similar stuff and also know Japanese characters.

Spoiler:  

It seems VRchat is now called anime. There is no plot. The riddles are mostly about kanji and the Japanese language. I don't know Japanese and I'm not a huge fan of riddles, so I won't watch it.

Circlet Princess

A sport anime. The sport is a sort of a virtual reality game. There is also some school life of the characters etc. I recommend it to people who like sport anime and are not afraid of some minor science-fiction elements.

Spoiler:  

I am not a fan of sport anime so I won't watch it.

Bermuda Triangle: Colorful Pastrale

A slice of life show. It's about a group of mermaids living their life under water. I recommend it to people who like slice of life shows.

Spoiler:  

But I don't like slice of life shows so I won't watch it.

How clumsy you are, Miss Ueno.

A comedy. Episodic. Funny dialogues and skits. It seems to have the yonkoma structure. I recommend it to people who like yonkoma.

Spoiler:  

Either I don't get the humour or the jokes are simply the opposite of being funny. I won't watch it.

Girly Air Force

An anime about airplanes who are also cute girls. I recommend it to people who liked Kantai Collection and other similar anime.

Spoiler:  

Yet another exercise in turning objects into moe girls. People don't seem to get bored with that. But I am. I won't watch it.

Virtual-san wa Miteiru

I recommend this anime to fans of virtual youtubers. Many of your favourite Japanese virtual youtubers are there.

Spoiler:  

A curious exercise in using a VRchat and calling it anime with some random characters thrown together and discussing about nothing in particular. Of course I gonna watch it. Of course…
      Last edited by unoduetre; 01-27-2019 at 10:36 PM.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)
      Information wants to be free. (Stewart Brand)

Re: Winter 2019 Anime Summaries and Recommendations [VERY Minor Spoilers]

Spoiler:  

temporary adds
      @SaturatedSentiment
      @Stitchdemon13
      @boyheck
      @Remzeryuk
      @Shanazzle
      @Summer Rose
      @DarkBunnyLiz

@.:Gemz:. (@Gemz theIkkleElf) (@IkkleGemz )
      @666reddog
      @Advanced
      @Aeri
      @Aggressive_Celery
      @Alaina-Nakota
      @AMCApril
      @AMio
      @Amykins
      @Angelic Neko
      @antiviralindustries
      @Ari Akino
      @aries0179
      @arnold12340
      @Azoth
      @Beerkeg
      @Beex
      @belsammael
      @Boxercorn0
      @brycec
      @Bumblypineapple
      @buntsauce
      @burnnnnnn
      @Buta
      @Catacombs
      @ceiraii
      @Citizen
      @DaddyCool
      @DeepInAnimeHell
      @Deiku
      @Demonology7789
      @DragonOfDojima
      @Drewan
      @Drewbe232
      @drill
      @Elgood81 (@JingleEl)
      @emo tive (@Lunacy Pandemonium )
      @Erine (@Erine AXmasPotatoe)
      @Eternal0snow92
      @Ethusia @Tanya @Heldawn @Tanya Degurachaff @Ember Nazarick
      @Expendable
      @faisalahmed
      @-Fate-
      @Floaffy
      @Galaxy
      @Gkitty
      @GoldWings
      @Gonzalez96
      @GraceMellody (@GrinchMellody)
      @H03nn89
      @HentaiSenpai
      @IIWhyII
      @ItermiinateX
      @Ivory
      @J_S
      @Jasminedesi16
      @JeeCay?
      @Juuza
      @Kai
      @KagaKoko
      @Kamina87
      @Kookykonata
      @KrampusKiwi
      @KyleB
      @lambda-sky
      @lc2
      @LikkleMel (@Merry Mel)
      @Lime
      @Lina Loaded
      @lucia3598
      @MakiChan
      @Marc Oxton
      @MayaMuse
      @MisschiefMajique
      @MistressHaruhi
      @MohSaf
      @Momogari
      @Mr Wednesday
      @MrMurphseeksLAM
      @mynameissport
      @MyVisionIsDying
      @NanoChan
      @Naoki
      @Soddy (@Natty)
      @Noble_Phantasm
      @Nocchi (@egg Nocchi)
      @omfgzergrush
      @Onipie
      @Ortaga Malice
      @OtakuRedRanger
      @Overhaul
      @Overlord Kujo
      @Peaceful_Critic
      @Peteruto
      @PharaohAtem
      @Phosphophyllite
      @Pixiedora
      @porunn
      @prime_cosplay
      @purple dragon
      @r1chyt
      @Raiji Magiwind
      @rjwisdom
      @Robynjukes
      @Rubio
      @safaamohamedalimohamed
      @Sammyboo18
      @Scop_Of_Steel
      @shadow22cat
      @Shiro89
      @SilentWolf
      @siykey
      @SlapCod
      @spice
      @Teeny
      @TheChxsen
      @TheGoldRings1
      @TheRedWarrior
      @Tinuva
      @Tonbo-San
      @toshioa
      @TrashM
      @TsHz91
      @Tsuki
      @Ttosk
      @Tuffin
      @Tyleration
      @Uchiha Akanbo
      @unoduetre
      @Warheit
      @Wingsy
      @xDracox
      @XkiraX
      @xWickedNekox
      @Yellow Magic
      @YoruJo
      @YuseiFudou97
      @Zwei

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (Evelyn Beatrice Hall)

The Orange Idol~
      Cha cha~

Amused

Country
      UK
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Don't worry my name is just GraceMellody again~
      I'll definitely try to check some of these out when I have time!
      ~UK Based Idol~
      ~Member of One Wish~
      COME JOIN THE DISNEY CLAN!!!
      ~Crazy League HMod / Chatroom Mod / Cosplay & Meets Central Mod / Disney Queen / Ravenclaw Head Girl~
      Feel free to ask me anything!

Spoiler:  

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

@GraceMellody

Yeah! And if you like a short, Manaria Friends is a very good one.

I exist!

Arty

Country
      blank
      AL Points

Need to see dororo. My first horror.

Assassination Classroom
      in my heart forever.
      ❤️

@Galaxy

Cool! It's a really good one! You shouldn't be disappointed.

Flow like water.

Content

Country
      Scotland
      AL Points

You missed one of the best anime of this season and I would like a summery.

@HentaiSenpai

Oh, which one?

Flow like water.

Content

Country
      Scotland
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by unoduetre View Post
      @HentaiSenpai

Oh, which one?
      I want you to make a disgusted face and show me your underwear.

@HentaiSenpai

It was a summer 2018 anime.

Flow like water.

Content

Country
      Scotland
      AL Points

My bad... I cant tell my seasons

Head Moderator
      ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

Depressed

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

The Promised Neverland looks to be a brutal anime.

@Expendable

It started gently but I think it'll get more brutal later.

Head Moderator
      ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

Depressed

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by unoduetre View Post
      @Expendable

It started gently but I think it'll get more brutal later.
      It's a great way to get you to better empathize with the characters.

hi , well I was aware of this, as for las season (fall 2018)… but not time and forget to check it.
      I have to came back to read the "spoiler". just read the basics if each.

thank 4 remember me this threat @unoduetre .
      Have a look at My AL-Journal or my presentation Post @ Anime League here.
      CITE: Manga wa kikenjanai, kedo mugaku desu. [Japanese / Nihongo ]
      Spanish; El Manga no es peligroso, la ignorancia SI! English;Ignorance could be dangerous, but Manga fond aren't.
        Spoiler:  
      Spanglish: El Manga is not dangerous, but ignorance, SI lo es!

Ranked; 9-Kyu on FESA SHOGI Elo list.

Spoiler:  
      Here is nothing you need to know!.
      My Nintendo Switch friend Code: 1720-2676-2514
      My M.A.L. Shiger Anime-Planet; Ekkun AnimeList; Ekkun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information