• zzzz

The Original Mors
      Awesome

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

In This Corner Of the World (movie)

Suzu is a quiet and ordinary -- if not a bit of clumsy and daydreaming -- girl growing up in the outskirts of the city of Hiroshima in mid-1930s. She loves drawing sketches with pencils -- a hobby she is really good at. Following her parents' arrangement in 1943, 18-year-old Suzu is married to a young man living in Kure, a neighboring city with a large naval base, in which he works as a civilian secretary for the military tribunal. There she faces a new life, a new family, as well as many new challenges and hardships, particularly with the worsening life conditions due to the Pacific War. Yet Suzu manages to find happiness and peace in her daily life.

This is a really unexpected war story from the point of view of the young wife of an arranged marriage.

It's like if Grave of the Fireflies was 50% cute and funny, and had no sensibility when to switch between sad and happy, it would be this.

It's not something I would watch normally, but it's a really good movie. Classy as heck. I'd recommend it even to people who didn't like anime.

Re: In This Corner Of the World (movie)

Oh, I've never heard about it. Interesting, thank you. I'm still too afraid to watch Grave of the Fireflies because of its emotional baggage. I might suffer too much watching it.

The Original Mors
      Awesome

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

I assume you wouldn't like this cuz it's really just historical drama.

This is a much better movie than grave of the fireflies though. That movie was just a constant downer. Even though that was a story from the director's life and this is based on a manga, this movie feels more realistic because there's both positives and negatives all mixed into the protagonist's experiences.

Literally not a minute after she (major spoiler, basically a super sad part) presumably loses her family in the hiroshima nuclear bombing, she has this converstaion with her husband:
      "suzu, that's US propaganda, you should turn that in to the authorities."
      "they'll just burn it anyway, I'd rather keep it for toilet paper."
      "ah, I guess we can't let anyone use our toilet for a while"

Like this story is just so goddamn down to earth. Unlike Grave of the Fireflies which was basically just an expression of regret.

The Original Mors
      Awesome

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

But it has incredibly realistic-feeling characters, superb art, and great music.

You're right, I usually don't like historical stuff. Buy I sometimes make an exception for exceptional things. It'd be stupid to close myself in my own ghetto. One of the main reasons I don't watch historical stuff is because I know very little about history (but I'm interested in some history from the 60s up to the current time). I usually don't watch the war stuff, but it's because it puts me down. But these are just my circumstances and I know there are many excellent historical or war-related titles. This one certainly looks like a great show!

The Original Mors
      Awesome

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

It feels slow at first (so much so that I probably wouldn't have sat through it had I not been blargh from being sick), and has its own style, but yes, by the end, it's one of the best movies I've seen.

The cultural differences between my culture and imperial japan come out quite strong. I get the same feeling I got watching the matchmaker song from fiddler on the roof, or seeing paintings of smiling slave children. It's like, ah, the human experience is bigger than my own.

That's probably a great show!

Thread Information