Depressed

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
      AL Points

Re: Pick Your Prompt: Jeopardy Style!

@Aeri - Object for 500 - Submission

"Calamity, what did you get yourself into?" I muttered to myself.

'M' and her cohort 'G' supplied me with a car, a portable tracker that was tuned to the bear, and all the information they had on the King's mistress.

Helpful, yes? Not hardly.

The mistress lived in a fortified manor house - built to hold off an army. To make it difficult to sneak up on the house, there was wide, cleared area that most would mistakenly call a "lawn". I'd call it a "kill zone", as there was scant cover and most of it not worth a damn against someone with thermal sensors and a high-powered rifle. Her security team was ex-military, not guys who took a crash course over a weekend for a cushy security gig. My best chance to get the bear would be to get invited in, say if the mark was having a party. Which wasn't likely, according to the schedule they produced.

So I decided to do a personal recon. Of course, the first thing I did was ditch both the car they gave me and the team following me. Not that it mattered. The tracker on the seat beside me was undoubtedly broadcasting its location on a different frequency, as was the briefcase. Both could even be wired for sound and video, or have all sorts of unpleasant surprises.

I couldn't run - they would undoubtly claim I'd stolen classified goverment property (the tracker) and money. And if I didn't take the job, they'd just put me in a cell. Might do it anyway.
      Really, my only chance was for a miracle, to see something that all their experts missed.

You could imagine my surprise when I saw the bear was moving away from the estate.

For reasons I couldn't fanthom, the mistress was sitting beside one of her guards in a banged up truck that had to belong to their gardener. Clearly they were hoping to fool any watchers - but why bring the bear?

Finally, after an hour and a half, they slowed and pulled off onto a dirt road heading into a forest. I drove past and pulled over. Sure enough, they had stopped just inside the woods, probably waiting to see if someone was following them. After five minutes, the truck went deeper into the woods, stopping about a mile down the road. Changing my stillettos for a pair of cheap running shoes, I decided to follow them in on foot, armed with my taser, two auto injectors, and my pistol, just in case.

I could hear digging as I got near them. Taking cover behind a tree, I slowly edged my head out to see the driver hard at work digging next to a tree, while the mistress watched, leaning on the hood. Suddenly, I heard the scrape of metal on metal - driver found something.

"Is that it?" she demanded, while I popped the safety cap off of one of the auto-injectors.

"Yeah, it's gotta be," the guy said, dropping into the hole to wrestle with whatever they found. I took my cue to sneak up behind the mistress and cover her mouth tightly while jabbing her thigh with the autoinjector. It took a few moments before her eyes rolled up and she went limp. A glance in the car showed the bear in the middle of the truck's bench seat.

I eased her to the ground and pulled out my taser as a metal box appeared on the edge of the hole.

"Whatever this is," the driver chortled as he looked up, "It's heav... Who the...?"

I shot him with the taser and let him ride the lightning for a while before giving him the other auto-injector.

"Well," I sighed, looking down at the box, "What's this, then?"

-----

Objects for 1000 please, Aeri!

Head Moderator
      I like me better when I'm with you

Amused

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Re: Pick Your Prompt: Jeopardy Style!

awesome work as always! Gave you 500 and heres your next prompt