• Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz

Content

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

What advice or tips would you give someone who wants to start writing/drawing?

If someone asked you for advice or tips for drawing/writing, what would you say?

I don't know much about writing so I'm curious what you would advice for people who want to start writing

Useless things are always out of place.

Amused

Country
      Finland

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Re: What advice or tips would you give someone who wants to start writing/drawing?

For people that want to get into writing, the best advice is to read. Read a lot, read often, read all sorts of things. Read novels, read short stories, read poems. Read fantasy, read suspence, read contemporary fiction, read classics. And to try all sorts of things; experiment with different styles and genres with your writing. Read other people's works online and give them feedback on their writing, as analysing and critisising other people's writing can give you a lot of insight into your own writing. And finally; learn the rules (grammar and otherwise), and then break them with intent where appropriate.

Thank your Jouro <3

Carue: I think Noirres a bit of a legend
      Noirre (Mod): In what way, pray tell?
      Carue: well you're a rather good writer, pleasant, friendly and good looking
      Noirre (Mod): <3 you silver-tongued devil
      Shadicara: Silver? Carue can I have your tongue?
      Carue: if you like
      Carue: its licked Noirre's bum just now
      Carue: but you can have it

Re: What advice or tips would you give someone who wants to start writing/drawing?

To just do and not be ashamed or embarassed by what you write or draw. You will make mistakes, you will write/draw thigns that will embarass you later on in life, so what? As long as you enjoy it you should do it, and not think too much about it. The more you do it, the more you learn. Especially if you're like me and have to read over your own creations at least twice before posting htem xD Also roleplay with as many different people as possible. Everyone has their own writing style and you can pick up a thing or two from how others write. And when it comes to drawing, there are a lot of tutorials oneline, but the best tutorial are observation with your own two eyes. To accurately copy something that you see, you must have a very good eye, and a lot of patience.
      My RP Characters The Fairy Clan
      The sophisticated show respect for those with different morals and values, knowing these vary per culture and per person.
      Only a barbarian scorns those who do not adhere to their view of social etiquette, and lack the wisdom to learn.

"A world without tea isn't worth living!"

Crazy

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

I agree with Raichi.

I would like to say though just write or draw freely what you want too and once you have keep adding to i until your satisfied.

Once you have then you can show people and if you want feedback or help people will help you improve but dont focus to much on others but more on what you want to express.

"Weather It shall rain or thunder maybe this is my curse, time to rest my eternal slumber."

Useless things are always out of place.

Amused

Country
      Finland

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Erine View Post
      Once you have then you can show people and if you want feedback or help people will help you improve but dont focus to much on others but more on what you want to express.
      This is so true. Out of the feedback you get, you should heed the parts that help you get better at what you want to achieve, and discard what isn't useful to you. Not all feedback you get will be beneficial, but you'll learn to recognise these things with time.

Thank your Jouro <3

Carue: I think Noirres a bit of a legend
      Noirre (Mod): In what way, pray tell?
      Carue: well you're a rather good writer, pleasant, friendly and good looking
      Noirre (Mod): <3 you silver-tongued devil
      Shadicara: Silver? Carue can I have your tongue?
      Carue: if you like
      Carue: its licked Noirre's bum just now
      Carue: but you can have it

Content

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jigglypuff View Post
      For people that want to get into writing, the best advice is to read. Read a lot, read often, read all sorts of things. Read novels, read short stories, read poems. Read fantasy, read suspence, read contemporary fiction, read classics. And to try all sorts of things; experiment with different styles and genres with your writing. Read other people's works online and give them feedback on their writing, as analysing and critisising other people's writing can give you a lot of insight into your own writing. And finally; learn the rules (grammar and otherwise), and then break them with intent where appropriate.
      I think this is excellent advice, you can learn so much about different ways of writing. I know that when I used to write that what I read would help me a lot with many things, pacing, payoffs and twists, how to describe new characters etc. I am tempted to get back into writing fiction, the only writing I do nowadays is articles and reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Raichi View Post
      To just do and not be ashamed or embarassed by what you write or draw. You will make mistakes, you will write/draw thigns that will embarass you later on in life, so what? As long as you enjoy it you should do it, and not think too much about it. The more you do it, the more you learn. Especially if you're like me and have to read over your own creations at least twice before posting htem xD Also roleplay with as many different people as possible. Everyone has their own writing style and you can pick up a thing or two from how others write. And when it comes to drawing, there are a lot of tutorials oneline, but the best tutorial are observation with your own two eyes. To accurately copy something that you see, you must have a very good eye, and a lot of patience.
      this is definitely advice I need to follow. One of my biggest weaknesses is wanting everything I draw to be perfect and avoiding anything that is out of comfort zone. I'm hoping to push myself to follow this advice. time to crack open the sketchbook and try out painting.

I agree with Raichi.

I would like to say though just write or draw freely what you want too and once you have keep adding to i until your satisfied.

I agree with this and think its important to hear feedback but keep in mind that this is for yourself and expressing what you want to express.

Yulys Waifu
      Everyone needs a cosplay pin-up folder. <3

Amused

Country
      UK
      AL Points

I got a few tips and such. But the biggest bit of advice I will give to anyone starting art is: NEVER, compare your art to others. EVER! This is a mistake a lot of people make. I also used to make this mistake a few years ago.
      I'd also suggest sketch studies, anatomy studies. Have references. There is NO shame, or harm in having a reference to make sure you can get the anatomy and structure correct. People mix references and tracing. Tracing something and calling it your own, is wrong. Yes. But when you are starting out, you need to see what you are drawing. You need to study it in oder to get it right. The same way you would for anything you learn, you need to see it, and have an exmaple in order to learn from it.
      Don't be discouraged. No one starts off overly amazing. We all start somewhere.
      Another big one, and an issue I see with a lot of people is: Learn to take constructive criticism. It's good, and very healthy to help you. When people give proper constructive crit, they point out the issues but also give you advice and tips on how to imrpove. This is very important for progression. Being told something is good, when it's not and it needs work only causes drama when people actually try to help. Constructive crit is not a direct attack at an artist. And I feel this is something people really do need to learn.
      And, just because you are starting out it doesn't mean you're going to be selling it or making money from it. I've seen so many new artist (and old ones who refused to take advice when they asked for it, which meant their art never got better and they got very childish when it was pointed out.) There's no harm in offering it for super cheap, if people want it. But at the same time, people aren't going to pay a lot when you are starting out. At this stage, it's not about money, it's about learning.
      And most importantly. Have fun with it. If it becomes a hassle or a bother, you wont enjoy it. And you wont be able to progress when you aren't enjoying it.

Crazy

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

@Sdbillustrations

Oh I know.

it is about expressing what you want to but people can help you improve on areas that you struggle with is what I mean.

you should still express how you want and what you want defently but not be afraid of seeking help if needed.

"Weather It shall rain or thunder maybe this is my curse, time to rest my eternal slumber."

Content

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Noxi View Post
      I got a few tips and such. But the biggest bit of advice I will give to anyone starting art is: NEVER, compare your art to others. EVER! This is a mistake a lot of people make. I also used to make this mistake a few years ago.
      I'd also suggest sketch studies, anatomy studies. Have references. There is NO shame, or harm in having a reference to make sure you can get the anatomy and structure correct. People mix references and tracing. Tracing something and calling it your own, is wrong. Yes. But when you are starting out, you need to see what you are drawing. You need to study it in oder to get it right. The same way you would for anything you learn, you need to see it, and have an exmaple in order to learn from it.
      Don't be discouraged. No one starts off overly amazing. We all start somewhere.
      Another big one, and an issue I see with a lot of people is: Learn to take constructive criticism. It's good, and very healthy to help you. When people give proper constructive crit, they point out the issues but also give you advice and tips on how to imrpove. This is very important for progression. Being told something is good, when it's not and it needs work only causes drama when people actually try to help. Constructive crit is not a direct attack at an artist. And I feel this is something people really do need to learn.
      And, just because you are starting out it doesn't mean you're going to be selling it or making money from it. I've seen so many new artist (and old ones who refused to take advice when they asked for it, which meant their art never got better and they got very childish when it was pointed out.) There's no harm in offering it for super cheap, if people want it. But at the same time, people aren't going to pay a lot when you are starting out. At this stage, it's not about money, it's about learning.
      And most importantly. Have fun with it. If it becomes a hassle or a bother, you wont enjoy it. And you wont be able to progress when you aren't enjoying it.
      I do agree about not comparing your art to others. Art comes in all shapes and forms, no style is the ultimate style, no process is the ultimate process, and often comparing your art to others just leaves you feeling battered and defeated. I used to spend too much time comparing my art to others on deviantart wondering why i can create like them.

Yeah the money bit has been something i've had to build up confidence on. Taking on commissions has always been difficult for me as I hate asking for money or a fair price. I did start by doing free portraits and that has been great for getting the ball rolling and now I've got quite a few commissions keeping me busy.

@Sdbillustrations

Oh I know.

it is about expressing what you want to but people can help you improve on areas that you struggle with is what I mean.

you should still express how you want and what you want defently but not be afraid of seeking help if needed.
      I do agree, i think advise and feedback are essential for progression.

And finally; learn the rules (grammar and otherwise), and then break them with intent where appropriate.
      Love the intent comment. I've always viewed that as the golden rule of just about any hobby/sport/competition: master the basics, then break them for a purpose. Combat sports are a great example of this, and it applies to writing too. Everyone naturally expects correct grammar, syntax, etc, which makes it all the more eye-grabbing when you violate the rules. Aside from what has already been said (read and write extensively, and do it across varying genres/styles), I'd also thrown in that you should view feedback at a glance. Everyone has different tastes, so just because a few people don't like a certain aspect of your writing doesn't mean it's not good, and it certainly doesn't mean that it doesn't achieve what you were aiming for.

Your writing's naturally going to evolve over time, everything from diction to style, and you'll find yourself going through several different phases. Ultimately, those phases will start to blend together. While you may have the opinion that you were better in a previous phase, there's a good chance that an objective reader would disagree, because the blended result will be much more unique. And that's also why it's important to read and write in many different genres. While your recent trends will likely have a bigger influence on your current style, everything contributes to the blended result
      .:Stop:Breathe:Shatter:.

TheRealLuthien: Your character can blow things up by touching them
      TheRealLuthien: If I knew I was going to be this fucked I wouldn't have posted!

Administrator
      Beware my fangs and watch as I roast you in Dragon flames

Angry

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
      AL Points

Great advice.

Crazy

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

-nods- yes ^^

getting whiteline fever here....

zzzz

Country
      Ireland

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Live such a life , that the lack of a good tale is something for which you will never lack . Got the scars to prove it , and also the passport...

ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

Depressed

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
      AL Points

First drafts are you working everything out. Your second draft, you'll know what you want to do and how you're doing it, it'll be better.

Realizing a mistake doesn't make it the end of the world, it's just another opportunity to start again.

You'll make a lot of repeated attempts.

Everyone wants to rush to the action. I've read a lot of stories that were condensed, a few were bullion cubes. Take the time to build a foundation and work up to it, give the audience a chance to get to know the characters and the setting.

Thread Information