• zzzz

May the Force be with you.

Depressed

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Artists/writers that inspire you

Hi I'm curious what everyone's inspirations are? what artists/writers have inspired your work?

I've been inspired by lots of artists. My first big inspiration was Matt Groening, his editorials for the simpsons magazine always motivated me with his anyone can draw and that you should never allow discouragement from teachers get to you messages.

In my teen years I was inspired by Frank Miller, Jhonen Vasquez and Khouta Hirano. Then while at college I was really inspired by Ukiyo-e Prints.

Lately I'm not sure what inspires me, sometimes just looking at other talented artists online gets me fired up.

How about all of you?

Grindstone.
      Horny

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Re: Artists/writers that inspire you

As a kid, I was a fan of The Vampire Chronicles and His Dark Materials-- Anne Rice and Philip Pullman, respectively. The later Chronicles books started taking some crazy turns, though, and I more or less outgrew the style used in Materials.

Then it was on to Robert Jordan. If I had to point to a specific author as my biggest source of inspiration, it'd have to be him. The Wheel of Time is the definition of cliche fantasy, but it's cliche fantasy at its best, in my opinion. There was also something about the consistency of his writing that set a terrible standard: I can't bring myself to read many other authors, because their writing quality wavers noticeably. Jordan ranted endlessly-- you could cut 2,000 pages of text from that series without touching any of the major story or character elements-- but his writing was good even when the material was menial.

Brandon Sanderson also had a large impact when it comes to world building, and George R.R. Martin is great at characterization (which was one of the things I liked about Anne Rice when I was younger, even if I can't sit through any of the books these days).

I also like to build different philosophical elements and bits of psychology into my stories these days. The first tend to come from sources like Epicurus, Jeremy Bentham, or Michael Sandel, and the psychology comes from Elliot Aronson and different textbooks/studies (I was a psych major). Sometimes, I even create characters by running them through an abbreviated Myers Briggs indicator, and I use the results to make sure I'm keeping the story in line with my characters' personalities
      .:Stop:Breathe:Shatter:.

TheRealLuthien: Your character can blow things up by touching them
      TheRealLuthien: If I knew I was going to be this fucked I wouldn't have posted!

Should Have Bought A V8

Nicholas Watts

And this painting in Particular

http://www.automobileart.co.uk/Giclees/TheRivals.htm

I was lucky enough to see this painting in person at the 2014 Goodwood Revival , not long after it was painted.

It inspired me to try the more realistic style myself.

https://firebirdc9.deviantart.com/ga...s-2014-Onwards

Administrator
      Beware my fangs and watch as I roast you in Dragon flames

Angry

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
      AL Points

Cool

Wibbly~Wobbly
      Hype Hype!

Awesome

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
      AL Points

There are a few writers that inspired me I think.
      Peter F. Hamilton was one of my first one's, which got me into sci-fi and technology (Primarily via the Night's Dawn Trilogy). I think what I loved was that a lot of the bio-tech explored in that was similar to stuff I had thought would be great, and before I'd even known about or read his stuff. (I talked with friends about various methods of applying some form of implants/similar to give essentially what his books had as standard 'Neural Nanonic' technology, and after the initial coincidence of finding that someone had written about the things I'd been thinking of for years really liked his books.

Marianne Curley's Old Magic was another. It's uses alternating perspectives to tell the story (i.e each chapter is from alternating viewpoints of the two main protagonists), which I thought was an interesting style of writing.

Julia Gray (The Guardian Cycle Series) and Phillip Pullman were also inspirations for world building and fantasy elements.

Sadly I tend not to read much anymore. (Either through lack of time, or lack of ability to sit long enough and/or pay attention to do so.) I still own all the books, but the likes of The Night's Dawn trilogy now is too 'heavy' for me to read now (ie I get confused by it now, for reasons unknown)

Creative Arts & Writing - You should go here!
      You're so far past the line, You've gone past the Medusa Cascade, through Narnia and landed smack bang in the middle of Mordor. Where you killed the cookie monster, dissected him, then tried to eat him before choking to death on his insides.

Depressed

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skye View Post
      As a kid, I was a fan of The Vampire Chronicles and His Dark Materials-- Anne Rice and Philip Pullman, respectively. The later Chronicles books started taking some crazy turns, though, and I more or less outgrew the style used in Materials.

Then it was on to Robert Jordan. If I had to point to a specific author as my biggest source of inspiration, it'd have to be him. The Wheel of Time is the definition of cliche fantasy, but it's cliche fantasy at its best, in my opinion. There was also something about the consistency of his writing that set a terrible standard: I can't bring myself to read many other authors, because their writing quality wavers noticeably. Jordan ranted endlessly-- you could cut 2,000 pages of text from that series without touching any of the major story or character elements-- but his writing was good even when the material was menial.

Brandon Sanderson also had a large impact when it comes to world building, and George R.R. Martin is great at characterization (which was one of the things I liked about Anne Rice when I was younger, even if I can't sit through any of the books these days).

I also like to build different philosophical elements and bits of psychology into my stories these days. The first tend to come from sources like Epicurus, Jeremy Bentham, or Michael Sandel, and the psychology comes from Elliot Aronson and different textbooks/studies (I was a psych major). Sometimes, I even create characters by running them through an abbreviated Myers Briggs indicator, and I use the results to make sure I'm keeping the story in line with my characters' personalities
      Interesting, this really makes me want to give the wheel of time series another go. I've always been drawn to his books but yet to make the leap.

I've read a little of His Dark Materials but never got far, do you think i should give it another go?

Thanks for sharing the evolution of your inspirations and and how you've noticed the different qualities that each writer brings to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Should Have Bought A V8 View Post
      Nicholas Watts

And this painting in Particular

http://www.automobileart.co.uk/Giclees/TheRivals.htm

I was lucky enough to see this painting in person at the 2014 Goodwood Revival , not long after it was painted.

It inspired me to try the more realistic style myself.

https://firebirdc9.deviantart.com/ga...s-2014-Onwards
      Fantastic painting that really brings the car to life, I can see how you've been influenced by this in your art.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Timelord View Post
      There are a few writers that inspired me I think.
      Peter F. Hamilton was one of my first one's, which got me into sci-fi and technology (Primarily via the Night's Dawn Trilogy). I think what I loved was that a lot of the bio-tech explored in that was similar to stuff I had thought would be great, and before I'd even known about or read his stuff. (I talked with friends about various methods of applying some form of implants/similar to give essentially what his books had as standard 'Neural Nanonic' technology, and after the initial coincidence of finding that someone had written about the things I'd been thinking of for years really liked his books.

Marianne Curley's Old Magic was another. It's uses alternating perspectives to tell the story (i.e each chapter is from alternating viewpoints of the two main protagonists), which I thought was an interesting style of writing.

Julia Gray (The Guardian Cycle Series) and Phillip Pullman were also inspirations for world building and fantasy elements.

Sadly I tend not to read much anymore. (Either through lack of time, or lack of ability to sit long enough and/or pay attention to do so.) I still own all the books, but the likes of The Night's Dawn trilogy now is too 'heavy' for me to read now (ie I get confused by it now, for reasons unknown)
      I sympathise with you on the not having much time to read thing as I find it can take it me up to a month just to get through a book and that's with setting side everything else I need to be doing. I tend to not read much anymore myself, but I do miss it, that Night's Dawn trilogy sound very up my alley as a fan of sci fi. I may give that one a go and try and get back into it when I have a bit more time.

Grindstone.
      Horny

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

It depends on what your preferences are. If you're looking for standard fantasy fare, Wheel of Time is excellent (the first book is basically just The Fellowship of the Ring rewritten lol). His Dark Materials was a fun series when I was younger, but it falls mostly into the YA section now. If you're into YA novels, it's be worth a shot (the story gets slightly more mature after the first book, from what I remember, but this was years ago). Don't try to relate the first book to the movie, though; they did an awful job translating some of the story to the big screen, which included completely cutting the final sequence of the book
      Last edited by Skye; 05-29-2018 at 06:22 PM.
      .:Stop:Breathe:Shatter:.

TheRealLuthien: Your character can blow things up by touching them
      TheRealLuthien: If I knew I was going to be this fucked I wouldn't have posted!

Depressed

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skye View Post
      It depends on what your preferences are. If you're looking for standard fantasy fare, Wheel of Time is excellent (the first book is basically just The Fellowship of the Ring rewritten lol). His Dark Materials was a fun series when I was younger, but it falls mostly into the YA section now. If you're into YA novels, it's be worth a shot (the story gets slightly more mature after the first book, from what I remember, but this was years ago). Don't try to relate the first book to the movie, though; they did an awful job translating some of the story to the big screen, which included completing cutting the final sequence of the book
      I didn't even know there was a big screen adaptation. As a Lord of the rings fan it sounds like it's worth trying out

Administrator
      Beware my fangs and watch as I roast you in Dragon flames

Angry

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
      AL Points

I think it was the autobon and I know I"m spelling it wrong were books on animals and birds and they really hit me how beautiful they were and I wanted to know more about birda and started to draw them. It's hard when they move fast but when you get them to stay still it's awome.

Depressed

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by PharaohAtem View Post
      I think it was the autobon and I know I"m spelling it wrong were books on animals and birds and they really hit me how beautiful they were and I wanted to know more about birda and started to draw them. It's hard when they move fast but when you get them to stay still it's awome.
      I never used to care for birds, but in recent years I have noticed them more and find them interesting, I have been keen to draw them at some point.

Thread Information