Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Re: RoleplayNation Bar - General Chat & Get To Know

I'm a live i swear

:: ~ My Sexy ALJ ~ ::

Assistant
      This is how liberty dies... With thunderous applause.

Angry

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

What's a live?

Administrator
      Beware my fangs and watch as I roast you in Dragon flames

Angry

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
      AL Points

I was gonna ask the same thing but you stole the words right from my fingertips.

Grindstone.
      Horny

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by PharaohAtem View Post
      I was gonna ask the same thing but you stole the words right from my fingertips.
      The incompatible validity of this message is profound
      .:Stop:Breathe:Shatter:.

TheRealLuthien: Your character can blow things up by touching them
      TheRealLuthien: If I knew I was going to be this fucked I wouldn't have posted!

Bang....!

Depressed

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo-T-Shirt View Post
      The Taurus PT111 is a very popular choice. It often retails for 200 bucks, which is a steal. It's a double-action only striker-fired pistol with a polymer frame and a 12-round double-stack magazine. It doesn't feel terrible in the hand, and despite being a double-action only trigger, it isn't too bad. Taurus is not the most reputable name in the game, but they've recently undergone a change in management in the past five years. They're better known for their revolvers and their semi-auto clones of other popular brands, but all of their products come with a lifetime warranty, which is nice to know that if it breaks, you can send it back in. The problem is that their quality control is lacking. Some of their PT111's come out and people shoot and abuse them for years with no problems. Others buy them and shoot a few magazines at the range before they have issues with failure to feed as well as stovepipes and other problems. It's kind of a roll of the dice to see if you'll get a good one. If you don't, you can always send it in and get it fixed or replaced, but that's a dice roll too because it might still have problems. It's not a pistol I would recommend, but the gun you can afford is better than the gun you can't when it comes to defensive carry. You have to work within your limits. It's the best pistol under 300 dollars, in my opinion.

I actually carry the Springfield XDm Compact. It feels fantastic in the hand, and its reliability is fantastic. I also love that it comes with a 19-round magazine. The problem is that with such a large magazine, it's difficult to conceal. I often end up carrying it in the small of my back or inside a jacket pocket if I try to conceal it. Otherwise, most of the time I open carry, because it's just more comfortable. Before I bought the XDm, my wife and I went to the range and rented four different popular models. The XDm was the best for us between it and the Glock 17, the H&K USP, and the Smith & Wesson M&P. The XDm is a single-action only striker-fired pistol with a polymer frame and a double-stack magazine. The compact comes in two variations- I think. The one I own does not come with a smaller magazine, but there is a variation that comes with two different magazines- a 19-round one and a 16(?) round one. The smaller magazine makes it a little bit shorter, and therefore a little easier to conceal, but I've found that barrel length and the width of the pistol matter more than the size of the grip when it comes to concealing. The trigger is better than the Taurus, for sure, but the advantage of the double-action means that even if the round doesn't fire, you can pull the trigger again to strike the primer a second time, just in case it works on the second strike. More often than not, though, a restrike of the primer isn't going to work. It's faster to simply work through a malfunction drill and move on to the next round than it is to pull the trigger again before beginning that drill. With this in mind, the single-action only trigger on the XDm is more appealing- it breaks more cleanly and easily, which means you're less likely to pull the round to one side or the other like you would with a more difficult trigger. The XDm also comes with a trigger safety and a backstrap safety instead of the trigger safety and thumb safety like the PT111. I had manual safeties like that on the PT111, but you do have the option of just leaving it off all the time. The XDm's safety is much more intuitive. As soon as your hand wraps around the grip, the safety is off and ready to fire- which means you can't draw the weapon in an emergency and forget to take the safety off before you pull the trigger.

I could go on, but I'll try to cut this short. The Springfield XDm is by far a superior product, but you'll pay for it over the PT111. You have to decide what works best for you, in the end. I would definitely recommend looking into the XD mod. 2 over the XDm. The mod. 2 has a 3" barrel instead of the 3.8 and it has a shorter grip (only 16 rounds in the large mag and 13 in the short vs 19 and 16 ), but the ergonomics on the mod. 2 are far superior. My wife carries a mod. 2 every day and loves it.

Also, the Sig P365 is probably my next concealed carry 9mm. It's basically a marvel of engineering in that it holds more rounds than any other firearm of similar size, and it's still rated for +P ammunition. I've gotten my hands on it and I haven't shot it yet, but it feels awesome, and it's super compact.
      Nerd

Grindstone.
      Horny

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Of the highest order.

Tux: The M&P was a consideration at one point, but it was quickly derailed when I saw the price tag of the P111. I'd like to find a range with all of the above available, but it's hard enough finding civilization where I'm at. Online reviews focus too much on "stopping power", which I'm not concerned with in the least in a self-defense situation. I don't plan on instigating any turf wars; if I was ever in a situation I had to use a gun, I'd likely be close enough to stop someone with a .22. Accessibility, ease of use, and comfort are my main concerns, pretty much in that order (preferably for $500 or less, which is the real limitation)

ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

Depressed

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
      AL Points

@†§KĄ€†; Ok! I want it understood that I'm looking for general prisoners, people who can be written off by the corporation if they succeed. No black ops / special forces types, you're too valuable to lose on some penny-ante mission that's more likely to kill you - and we're not voiding your contract either if you succeed.

I'd rather have a thief who broke into a lab to use their fabricator to turn a generic holo-suit into a stealth suit than someone sold to a black ops research lab when they were a baby to be fully augmented and programmed as a spy.

This game falls somewhere in between Prometheus and The Dirty Dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
      I'm a live i swear
      Last edited by Expendable; 04-14-2018 at 02:13 AM.

Grindstone.
      Horny

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

I was thinking something along the lines of a farmer's aid for a synthetic, or some other type of assistant AI. It's that or someone with multiple personalities. I haven't really written either before, so they're equally appealing

ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

Depressed

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by †§KĄ€† View Post
      I was thinking something along the lines of a farmer's aid for a synthetic, or some other type of assistant AI. It's that or someone with multiple personalities. I haven't really written either before, so they're equally appealing
      And how did they wind up in a corporate prison?

A Young Jim Belushi
      Toot Fucking Toot

Shy

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skye View Post
      Accessibility, ease of use, and comfort are my main concerns, pretty much in that order (preferably for $500 or less, which is the real limitation)
      Have you looked into the Ruger American Compact?

Congrats on undumbing your username.
      Quote Originally Posted by XIL_69, Speaker of Truth
      Now this is a thread since Citizen is here !

Grindstone.
      Horny

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Kitty did me a favor and removed the inactive account that stole "Skye"

And no, but thank you for the model. There was one of those at the BX one day, but it was gone when I went back to look at it. It might be just inside my price range if they restock it. (There are two things the BX actually has good prices for: electronics and firearms)

My wife has a LC380 and loves it. She had to leave it behind when she moved out here with me, though, so I haven't tried it out yet
      Last edited by Skye; 04-14-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Grindstone.
      Horny

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

@Jihad Okay, this is bothering me. I can remember your real name, your AIM name (at the time), and possibly even another username you used briefly, but I cannot, for the life of me, remember your username while I rp'd with you

And if you're not the guy that was also in Pandora's Box, then I have the wrong person and need to apologize immediately (but I won't, because I welcome the awkwardness)

Edit: Wait a minute... Wayne?

Assistant

Angry

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skye View Post
      Of the highest order.

Tux: The M&P was a consideration at one point, but it was quickly derailed when I saw the price tag of the P111. I'd like to find a range with all of the above available, but it's hard enough finding civilization where I'm at. Online reviews focus too much on "stopping power", which I'm not concerned with in the least in a self-defense situation. I don't plan on instigating any turf wars; if I was ever in a situation I had to use a gun, I'd likely be close enough to stop someone with a .22. Accessibility, ease of use, and comfort are my main concerns, pretty much in that order (preferably for $500 or less, which is the real limitation)
      "Stopping Power" is kind of a silly notion, and applies to round size, not pistol choice. 9mm is more than enough for your needs. Shot placement is more important than round size- although I would trust a 9mm round to center mass far more than a .22. You are not going to get enough benefit from a .40 S&W, a .45 ACP, or even a .357 Sig to justify the compromises you make over the 9mm, such as magazine capacity, recoil, and cost of ammunition. I think it's better to have more rounds, which equates to more opportunities to hit your target than it is to have a bigger bullet. Especially when you're carrying a concealed firearm that is smaller by nature in the first place and already has fewer rounds than a full-size pistol.

The new Sig P365 retails for between 500 and 550. The Springfield XD Mod. 2 is about the same. The PT111 is super cheap at 200-250. Don't ever pay more than that for it- someone somewhere will have it on sale.

Assistant

Angry

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
      Have you looked into the Ruger American Compact?

Congrats on undumbing your username.
      *gags in gun-snob*

Actually the Ruger American is not a terrible pistol for Ruger fans that wanted something better than the SR series. It's ergonomics aren't terrible, the option of the short or long magazine is nice, and it's a reliable system, but the price doesn't make it stand out enough among long-standing competitors, and it's long reset trigger is disheartening.

Also, I hate the .380 round, as well as pocket revolvers, but I dislike anything with a double-action trigger.

Grindstone.
      Horny

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

I dislike revolvers and anything snub-nosed, but that's mostly an issue of aesthetics for me. I leave the technical (and some performance) differences to legitimate gun enthusiasts

Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread Information