Farewell voyager
      The nightmare is almost gone

I sink into the dark abyss
      Reaching, I resist
      It comforts me to the point of bliss
      And it insists
      Pulling me down, I let go
      Free from pain, I can't say no
      Spiral -by- Godsmack -- "Sometimes we only live for the here and now... Sometimes we're lonely... Sometimes we feel we need a place to be grounded or fly away again... I will fly away again... I will fly away again... Why are we feeling something's familiar around us? Are we just dreaming? Always we search for the answers but nothing is found... We'll fly away again... I will fly away again... I will fly away again... I feel rain pouring down... I wait to rot away... live again here forever... The spiral never ends... Rot away... Live again here forever... The spiral never ends... I feel rain pouring down... I wait to rot away... Live again here forever... The spiral never ends... Rot away... Live again here forever... The spiral never ends... It never ends... I will fly away again... I will fly away again... I will fly away again... I will fly away again..."

Chlobo
      Doing me!

Arty

Country
      UK
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Re: They Drag Me Under

This made me think of Joan of Arc

Broken
      I bet you didn't think I'd come back to life stronger

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Oh hey, you're right! I'm glad it does. Originally it was intended for me and my illness, along with depression. But that's really cool, it's both ways.

What do you think of it?
      Spiral -by- Godsmack -- "Sometimes we only live for the here and now... Sometimes we're lonely... Sometimes we feel we need a place to be grounded or fly away again... I will fly away again... I will fly away again... Why are we feeling something's familiar around us? Are we just dreaming? Always we search for the answers but nothing is found... We'll fly away again... I will fly away again... I will fly away again... I feel rain pouring down... I wait to rot away... live again here forever... The spiral never ends... Rot away... Live again here forever... The spiral never ends... I feel rain pouring down... I wait to rot away... Live again here forever... The spiral never ends... Rot away... Live again here forever... The spiral never ends... It never ends... I will fly away again... I will fly away again... I will fly away again... I will fly away again..."

Chlobo
      Doing me!

Arty

Country
      UK
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

That makes sense as well and I liked it because it also made me think of The Cat Lady video game as it's a game I've been playing recently and the game and this poem both represent depression and illness very well. Hallow eyes and piercing made me think of cats.

Broken

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Truth be told, I'm not very good at poems. I just write what I think will make a decent poem. Who knows if I even know how to write one. I think I do, but my other one probably wasn't any poem format. Blah. It was just something I started feeling today though, so I felt like I had to put it down. Somewhere.

I love cats by the way.

Useless things are always out of place.

Content

Country
      Finland
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Emotive View Post
      Truth be told, I'm not very good at poems. I just write what I think will make a decent poem. Who knows if I even know how to write one. I think I do, but my other one probably wasn't any poem format.
      Forget about formats. They can be inspirational, but if you have an idea for a poem, it's best to write it out as it comes to you and them think about editing after you've let the writing 'rest'. You can create your own logic, your own form. As long as you stay true to the laws you create, it'd all good.

As for the poem itself - you did go for end rhymes, which is nice since not a lot of people write rhyming poetry anymore. The thing about rhymes though is that there is no rhyming without rhythm. Practically this means that for a rhyme pair to work, you need both of the lines that form a pair to be approximately equal in length. If we look at your poem's 3rd stanza, currently, this is how it goes:

(5) There's no escaping
      (6) I'm sealed in a coffin
      (8) Maybe they want to replace me
      (9) Or maybe they wanted me fall in
      (6) Either way, it's over
      (2) They've won
      (5) Farewell voyager
      (7) The nightmare is almost gone

I think this is the biggest problem of the poem, because the only two lines that have the same syllable count - 1 and 4 - don't actually form a rhyme pair. The lines that ought to rhyme - 2/4 and 6/8 - have such different syllable counts that the rhyme pair just doesn't work. Especially if you combine the lines that come before the the rhymes: "Eithery way, it's over; they've won (8 in total), Farewell voyaged; the nightmare is almost gone (12). When you write rhyming poetry, this combined length between the rhymepairs is something that you also need to pay attention to - you can get away with a weaker rhyme pair if your reading rhythm is tight, but even a really tight rhyming pair will become weak if the rhythm is weak. If you compare the original to this version:

(6) There is no escaping
      (6) I'm sealed in a coffin
      (6) They wish to replace me
      (6) Wanted me to fall in
      (6) Either way, it's over
      (6) They have already won
      (5) Farewell, voyager
      (5) The nightmare is gone

Do you see the difference the small changes make to both the rhythm and the 'oomph' of the rhymes?

Structure-wise, it does feel a bit like the first two stanzas of the poem are from a different poem than the two last ones; first two have a pretty tight rhythm and equal line lengths, but the two latter ones are almost free verse. I think with small changes to the last two stanzas, you could 'tighten up' the poem to a really nice piece. c: Since the two first stanzas set the structure for the poem, it's best to follow it until the end; otherwise the reader will feel a bit like they stumbled on something when they move onto a stanza that doesn't follow the pattern you laid out before.

I really like the way the poem ends, there is a sense if finality to it, combined with a sort of 'giving up' sort of motion. Really nice.

Thank your Jouro <3

Carue: I think Noirres a bit of a legend
      Noirre (Mod): In what way, pray tell?
      Carue: well you're a rather good writer, pleasant, friendly and good looking
      Noirre (Mod): <3 you silver-tongued devil
      Shadicara: Silver? Carue can I have your tongue?
      Carue: if you like
      Carue: its licked Noirre's bum just now
      Carue: but you can have it

Broken

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Thanks. I've given up on poems though. I was going to start with lyrics, but nothing came to mind for the longest time, and now I've just kind of lost the fire. ;.;

Content

Country
      Finland
      AL Points

Aww that is a shame. :C Have you ever tried doing timed prompts? I find that hte High Overloard Alarmclock does actually often help me to create. Give yourself a topic or a starting sentence - for example, the last line of someone elses poem - and then challenge yourself to write for 7 minutes without stopping and without editing or deleting. You'll end up with something that might be absolute nonsense, but it gives you something to work with - and to be honest, some of my best writings have started out that way. Give it a try! ^^

Thank your Jouro <3

Broken

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

I think I will. ^.^ But for now I'm kind of dead in the water, so to speak.

Content

Country
      Finland
      AL Points

Yeah I understand, every writer has a blockage in their creative flow from time to time. -nod nod- Hang in there. c:

Thank your Jouro <3

Broken

zzzz

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Thanks again

Don't fear the reaper

Angry

Country
      Australia
      AL Points

Nicely written and a great tongue for description you possess.
      I particular like the parts about being in a coffin and finding out that they died.

It does give me vibes of joan of arc too.

The weight of the world upon my shoulders
      making me ever bolder, the dreaming through others colder

Set by ME

Thread Information