• Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz

[Discussion] The Handmaid's Tale - TV Series

This thread is for discussion of the TV series "The Handmaid's Tale"
      The first series ran this year (with a total of 10 episodes), it has also been renewed for a second season to premiere in 2018.

Info ~
      The Handmaid's Tale is an American television series created by Bruce Miller based on the 1985 novel of the same name by Canadian writer Margaret Atwood. It was ordered by streaming service Hulu with a straight-to-series order of 10 episodes, with the production beginning in late 2016.

First episode date: 26 April 2017
      Series 1: 10 Episodes
      Series 2: Expected 2018
      Network: Hulu

Plot:
      In the near future, fertility rates collapse as a result of sexually transmitted diseases and environmental pollution. With this chaos in place, the totalitarian, Christian theonomic government of "Gilead" establishes rule in the former United States in the aftermath of a civil war. Society is organized by power-hungry leaders along a new, militarized, hierarchical regime of fanaticism and newly created social classes, in which women are brutally subjugated, and by law are not allowed to work, own property, handle money, or read.[5] Worldwide infertility has resulted in the conscription of the few remaining fertile women in Gilead, called handmaids, according to an "extremist interpretation" of a Biblical account. They are assigned to the homes of the ruling elite, where they must submit to ritualized rape with their male masters in order to become pregnant and bear children for those men and their wives.
      June Osborne, renamed Offred (Elisabeth Moss), is the Handmaid assigned to the home of Gileadan Commander Fred Waterford (Joseph Fiennes) and his wife Serena Joy (Yvonne Strahovski). She is subject to the strictest rules and constant scrutiny; an improper word or deed on her part can lead to brutal punishment. Offred, who is named after her male master like all Handmaids, can remember the "time before", when she was married with a daughter and had her own name and identity, but all she can safely do now is follow the rules of Gilead in the hope that she can someday live free and be reunited with her daughter. The Waterfords, key players in the rise of Gilead, have their own conflicts with the realities of the society they have helped create.

So has anyone watched this? Or do you plan to watch this?
      Did/do you like it? If not, why?
      What are your hopes for season 2?
      Have you read the book in which this series is based on?
      What are your opinions, please discuss ~

Head Moderator
      Friendly

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Re: [Discussion] The Handmaid's Tale - TV Series

I just got done watching the first season and loved it. I thought it was not so far fetched and the show was quite scary for me. I got very emotional in some scenes and it takes me alot to do that in a series. The show has made me want to read the book.

I have not yet read the book, but I watched the TV show (and I can't wait for series 2). I don't know anyone that actually watched the series (the people that I know who tried to watch it dropped it after 2 episodes because they apparently “couldn't understand it” *shrugs* Maybe it was the time skips that confused them? I dunno).
      But anyway, I really enjoyed it, it kept me engaged. Although that may not have been a good thing all the time, as a lot of the events of the show annoyed and just damn right infuriated me sometimes (but it was supposed to, so it did a good job) XD
      One of the characters that irritated me quite a lot sometimes was Janine (aka Ofwarren; aka Ofdaniel), I mean I really do understand that with all the things going on in this show, some people just wouldn't be able to cope and that their mental state would seriously deteriorate. But sometimes I just couldn't help but feel like wanting to slap her to bring her back to reality. ^^;

Head Moderator
      Friendly

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
      I have not yet read the book, but I watched the TV show (and I can't wait for series 2). I don't know anyone that actually watched the series (the people that I know who tried to watch it dropped it after 2 episodes because they apparently “couldn't understand it” *shrugs* Maybe it was the time skips that confused them? I dunno).
      But anyway, I really enjoyed it, it kept me engaged. Although that may not have been a good thing all the time, as a lot of the events of the show annoyed and just damn right infuriated me sometimes (but it was supposed to, so it did a good job) XD
      One of the characters that irritated me quite a lot sometimes was Janine (aka Ofwarren; aka Ofdaniel), I mean I really do understand that with all the things going on in this show, some people just wouldn't be able to cope and that their mental state would seriously deteriorate. But sometimes I just couldn't help but feel like wanting to slap her to bring her back to reality. ^^;
      They couldn't understand it?? It really isn't that complicated to understand lol

The character that really annoyed me was:
        Spoiler:  
      Her husband. I thought he was so bland and boring, he had like no personality at all and he didn't seem that concerned about June when he was in Canada. I honestly preferred Nick and was rooting for her to get together with him.

Yeah I know, I don't understand how they couldn't understand it either :/
      And yes I agree with you on the point of
        Spoiler:  
      her husband Luke being bland and to be seemingly uncaring of the whole situation really. Although I wasn't really all that fond of Nick either, I mean yeah he couldn't do much in the given situation, but I wish he would have done something, anything even. I feel like Nick could have helped June (especially with her mental well being) a few times by just talking to her, but being the stupid man that he is, he takes on June on his own terms and shuts her down when things aren't looking too good for himself (or when he's being emo).

Head Moderator
      Friendly

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Yeah I know, I don't understand how they couldn't understand it either :/
      And yes I agree with you on the point of
        Spoiler:  
      her husband Luke being bland and to be seemingly uncaring of the whole situation really. Although I wasn't really all that fond of Nick either, I mean yeah he couldn't do much in the given situation, but I wish he would have done something, anything even. I feel like Nick could have helped June (especially with her mental well being) a few times by just talking to her, but being the stupid man that he is, he takes on June on his own terms and shuts her down when things aren't looking too good for himself (or when he's being emo).
        Spoiler:  
      I know I agree, I just mean the Husband was so bland it was so hard to care for him lol And he his acting was so bad hahaha I agree about Nick too. I think it was done intentionally because they want the audience to question if he is good or bad. I still can't tell if he is good or bad at the end of the season 1 lol

I know! I can't wait for season 2 to see what happens with everyone.
      What do you think will happen or what do you WANT to happen? ^^

Head Moderator
      Friendly

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

I don't know but I think it will be really interesting because we won't have the book to go on anymore. I don't know what they will do to Offred.

Spoiler:  
      After she gets taken, I wonder if they will release her back to her post or if she will get posted somewhere else? I think she is pregnant so I think it is likely she will get sent back? I wonder if she will meet her daughter?

Spoiler:  
      OMG I totally forgot about Serena Joy and how she threatened June with her daughters life vs “her/Serena's” baby! That was awful to watch (I wanted so badly to kick Serena in her stupid face for that). And for that reason I really don't want her to be sent back to that posting if she is pregnant, I want her to go anywhere else but there, then that bitch Serena won't get “her” baby.

Head Moderator
      Friendly

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Spoiler:  
      OMG I totally forgot about Serena Joy and how she threatened June with her daughters life vs “her/Serena's” baby! That was awful to watch (I wanted so badly to kick Serena in her stupid face for that). And for that reason I really don't want her to be sent back to that posting if she is pregnant, I want her to go anywhere else but there, then that bitch Serena won't get “her” baby.
        Spoiler:  
      I hope Serena doesn't get her baby. She doesn't deserve the baby. Serena was so awful. She was so mean.

I couldn't agree more

Head Moderator
      Friendly

Country
      USA

Awards Showcase

AL Points

The commander was pretty bad too haha

Spoiler:  
      He was such a hypocrite, he allowed Offred to read and went to that weird party thing but then he truly believed in the government. It was so odd. But I really hated him. I think my favorite charecters were Offred and Ofglen.

Yeah he was
        Spoiler:  
      honestly it just seemed like he did all that and was nice to Offred (in a weird way) just to try to gain her trust so he could start an affair with her away from the “ceremonies” and away from Serena.
      I think the funny thing is that in the beginning Serena helped him to create this new society thinking that she would also rule it in a sense with him, help to make decisions and the like. But now she's starting to realise that the commander is a total douche canoe and she's just going along with his new found God complex just so she can get a baby.

One of my favourite characters
        Spoiler:  
      in the beginning was Moira, she seemed like she wouldn't go down without a fight and she seemed to have her head in the right place. So it was disappointing when she just kinda lost the fight and started to go with the flow and surprisingly it was Offred who put the fight back into Moira and pulled her head out her ass when she was going to give up towards the end.
      I was happy when she got out and Luke was waiting for her (when she thought no one would be there for her) that was nice. But again Luke was like a dead fish for all the acting and emotion he showed. xD

Thread Information