• Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Administrator
      Everything happens for a reason. Whose reason?

zzzz

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Re: Sanctuary Lounge (Spam & Chat Thread)

*Nudges this topic*
      ---

Administrator
      The Good Witch

Angry

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

*falls out of tree*

Who, what when and where

Hello world.

I'm always in character, FYI!

Sigh

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Lmao hello!
      (Chorus from Let You Down by Seether)So say something beautiful/Say what you're keeping inside/This anticipation, I will only let you down/Say something meaningful/Say what you're trying to hide/This anticipation, I will only let you down

A big thanks to @xWickedNekox for this amazing set

Citi Was Here
      Porpoise

Pervy

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by MissPurple View Post
      That rigidity leads to far too many cases where the dictates of the system are at odds with the logic of the fiction, IME. Plus the sheer disparity in utility between a well-constructed and poorly-constructed character makes many interesting ideas unfeasible.
      If you let it get in the way, you certainly can. I've always tried to stick to the spirit of the game more than the ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by MissPurple View Post
      I don't think it's a great roleplaying game for those reason (as well as a few others). I've still had fun playing and running it, however. System mastery can be a fun metagame, which is one of the reasons I enjoy Exalted.
      And I'll agree that it's imperfect, and it doesn't have to be great to be good. In that way, it seems me agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
      And I'll agree that it's imperfect, and it doesn't have to be great to be good. In that way, it seems me agree.
      I agree on that, however I find that a lot of people just default to D&D when there are better options for the thing they are doing, because they don't see the point in learning anything new.
      It ends up with bizarre contortions of the rules to make it work, when those problems could easily be solved by changing the base system.
      Wasn't quite so bad when WoD was massive, because it showed that you could do things differently, and made choosing a system a thing, but IME it's mostly D&D and everyone else at the moment. Apart from in the indie scene where every other game is Powered by the Apocalypse!

I rather want to give Swords Without Master a go, I've heard a lot about its design.

Citi Was Here
      Porpoise

Pervy

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Never heard of swords without masters. What's the deal with that one?

I have played many different roleplaying systems. I couldn't say one is better than any others. All are good in their own ways. I haven't played ever single system, a claim almost no one could make.

I've even tried my hand at creating a few myself, never published them, mind you.

One worked pretty well to a degree. However, it'd be a different type of system then most because when characters leveled they got a lot more powerful then their previous versions. You could state that's a serious balance issue, but if levels are rare and it's other stuff you use most of the time to get bigger and stronger with it is no longer an issue. It just means a level 6 is very impressive. It also makes easy to scale up to super powerful villains etc.

But, I hardly remember the system now and many systems have come out since. Perhaps if it was marketed it would have made it big and perhaps it would have been a flop like many others like Rolemaster. I wonder if anyone knows what that RP system is.

So what's the best thing about d20? The resources it has. No one comes close to compare to it, and their books are organized well. It makes it difficult to compete with them. Not all the companies that makes books for them organize their content as well, but they all still add a good amount of content.

The worlds, characters, and concepts they build for the games for nearly every roleplaying system has quite a bit of depth and usually quite interesting and entertaining let alone the games.

Rolemaster had incredible amounts of details on weapons and equipment as far as stats are concerned.

Citi Was Here
      Porpoise

Pervy

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Since most d20 games are designed similarly, you can often take elements from one and use them in another with only minor tweaks.

While that's true, I prefer to use Paladium when I want to mix and match genre's. Just wish their books were better organized. They have some great stuff. And sometimes the length they go into some explanations is way overboard but that makes them quite hilarious and entertaining to read.

Swords Without Master is far into the Story Games realm, it's very heavily designed around creating a narrative.

D20 plug-and-play can be fun. 13th Age has a few ideas in it that I'd certainly port into other games, though I'd probably just play something else.

Whilst D&D has a massive amount of material, especially for 3/3.5, as does Pathfinder, the quality can be variable in terms of both rules and fluff. That's without going into 3rd party additions; once I tried to get a freelance writing gig with a company, before taking a look at their current material and deciding it was hideously unbalanced power-gamer-bait that I found it very hard to get enthused about. Nice ideas, but implemented for a bit of a dysfunctional play dynamic.

I've not played Rolemaster but I do know of it.

I wrote a whole bunch of one-page games last year, did one a fortnight. You can find them HERE. Some of them are good, some aren't, but it was a very interesting exercise.

Administrator
      The Good Witch

Angry

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

I have no idea what your all talking about, but it could be I"m tired and my brain won't compute.

In other news I got Nalini Singhs new book Archangel's Viper but haven't finished it yet work and other things have interrupted me. Rule one never bother a women when she's reading her favorite series or book it't not a pretty site.

Magical Girl
      Content

Country
      UK
      AL Points

I'm kinda back and have missed Rping! Is there any super casual ones going atm that you'd recommend?
      I'd really love to get back into it Dx

Little Dragon's Tavern and Inn

There are many Casuals though but that one has no plot or story

School Days

Is another casual one but it isn't exactly moving along. It has no plot or story either.

There are other casual RPs but they have plots that are directing them and limit character types.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwaven View Post
      Little Dragon's Tavern and Inn
      I keep meaning to post again in there, but I keep getting a little way into a paragraph and losing my train of thought.

Administrator
      The Good Witch

Angry

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by YukiChan View Post
      I'm kinda back and have missed Rping! Is there any super casual ones going atm that you'd recommend?
      I'd really love to get back into it Dx
      Yeah

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information