• Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Foam

I've never done an armour cosplay but I want to do Gordon Freeman for MCM Birmingham. Most people recommend EVA foam but Amazon only turned up matting, I then searched other sites and I found people discussing if EVA is even the best foam to make cosplays with. I would like to hear your opinion on the best kind of foam to use and the places to buy it, if you could help with that too, would be nice. I'm not wanting to use thermoplastics until I have more experience with amour (it is expensive after all).

Re: Best Foam

@Cemtex Have a look at our resources guide thread (http://www.animeleague.net/forum/sho...-amp-Tutorials). We have a few links to foam tutorials, and you can get your foam here too - http://shop.panelsystems.co.uk/craftfoam.html

Hope that gives you a bit of a start in your foam adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieHobbit View Post
      @Cemtex Have a look at our resources guide thread (http://www.animeleague.net/forum/sho...-amp-Tutorials). We have a few links to foam tutorials, and you can get your foam here too - http://shop.panelsystems.co.uk/craftfoam.html

Hope that gives you a bit of a start in your foam adventures.
      Thanks, I saw it earlier and ordered some foam.

@Cemtex Let us know how it is, so we can let others know too! Glad you managed to get some! =)

When the snow melts, what does it become ?

zzzz

Country
      UK
      AL Points

eva childrens foam mats are perfect for armour
      Proud Member of Future Lab
      FairyBlade Cosplay

Quote Originally Posted by FairyBlade View Post
      eva childrens foam mats are perfect for armour
      Okay you with child - where is the best place to find these mats??? LOL

I don't think the foam site in the sticky is particularly good for cosplay, I bought a box and it doesn't seem like it would make armoire quite well. I have yet to try it though so I'll update in a couple weeks.

@Cemtex Did you order blue or green? Blue is the one for armour as it comes in sheets rather than slabs that you can heat up and mould.

I bought the blue, I have used some foam before that was more flexible but like I said I have yet to try it out. Still need to get a glue gun and a dremmel. I also need an air gun perhaps. hopefully my H.E.V. suit will turn out nicely

@FairyBlade I would also like to know the best place to buy this foam

Starting new cosplay soon!

Sneaky

Country
      Norway
      AL Points

Well, I know where to buy foam from from now on then.
      For my Springtrap this year, I used my matrass.
      I'm not kidding, it was the only foam I could get a hold on in time.
      Crafting foam from that site seems waaaay better.
      ALCON 2017 COSPLAYS
      Diana of Themiscyra, Wonder Woman (2017)
      Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Homecoming

MY COSPLAY JOURNAL THING

zzzz

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Basically anywhere that sells kids stuff! Argos Asda etc
      FairyBlade Cosplay

Fun But Pointless
      (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
      No Mood

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Sigh...

Foam from Panel Systems IS NOT for armour building, it is not flexible, /at all/. The foam from the site is Extruded Styrofoam, a rigid, carvable, sandable foam used for insulation and solid builds like props. It cannot be heated and shaped as it will just melt, and give off less than pleasant fumes. The difference between the blue and green is density, not flexibilty or type. Blue is denser I believe. I use this foam for building bows and swords as props. It can be used for detail on armour, like spikes, but not the armour itself.

Tldr - the foam panel systems sells is a dense polystyrene. And it behaves like polystyrene. Its for prop making, not armour

For armour, you need either EVA foam or Plastazote, at least from the realm of foam. Other, more expensive options include Worbla
      EVA is a vinyl based closed cell foam, which is flexible. Cheapest source is either the childrens mats as Fairyblade suggested, or yoga mats, which tend to be slightly higher quality but are generally patterned on one side for grip. You can also buy high quality double smooth sided mats, though I'm not entirely sure where from, though I imagine a bit of digging will turn some up. I don't use EVA much, so I never looked into it as I never had a need
      EVA can be glued with super glues, contact adhesives, and if you get desperate, a glue gun, and can be sealed in a number of ways prior to painting, the easiest of which is wood glue
      For thinner EVA, childrens craft foam, that you can get in most craft stores. Its the same stuff, just thinner

Plastazote is similar to EVA, but its lighter, and arguably easier to get hold of in high quality and quantity. Its the foam that is used as a basis for LARP safe weaponry, so it's also tough as all hell. There are a large number of resources to buy this in the UK, and you can get larger quantities of it for less money compared to EVA. Search for Thames Valley Supplies, or Technology Systems. I believe both require you to phone them to order
      That said, it is harder to work with than EVA. It needs to be glued with contact adhesive, and is best sealed with latex. There are also additional steps in between, including painting the entire foam piece with a mix of contact adhesives diluted with solvents

For future reference too, any sort of styrene foam is not suitable for armour. As it's not going to be flexible

zzzz

Country
      UK
      AL Points

@Drifter why "sigh"
      Thank you for the info, I'm sure @Cemtex will be grateful but the sigh comes off as slightly rude.
      FairyBlade Cosplay

Sir Bana
      Knight of the Beard
      Always a Dude.

zzzz

Country
      UK
      AL Points

@FairyBlade
      I think a little exasperation is fair when such inaccurate advice has been given, particularly when that advice could lead to potentially severe damage to health. EVA foam is not difficult to find, though personally I'd avoid yoga mats and go for floor tiles. I've gotten mine from eBay previously with no issue. The only time extruded styrofoam would be appropriate for armour builds would be for things like spikes, so panel systems is a good resource, but it is currently listed inappropriately in the resource sticky - which is odd, as it wasn't previously.
      I do apologise for my enormous quantities of derp! =D But do check out my DeviantArt for lotsa cosplay things http://britishbumpkins.deviantart.com/ and our FB, what the hey https://www.facebook.com/britishbumpkins
      Btw, @Drifter
        Spoiler:  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information