View RSS Feed

Tenko's Life Drabbles

A Tenko Rant™ (The One About A Language Course).

Rate this Entry
I just wanna start off with a warning: this is gonna be petty. but I need to get the irritation off of my chest.

So, I signed up for a Japanese class a couple of weeks ago, and have really been looking forward to it - I've desperately needed to get out more, meet more people (I've lived in England for almost 5 years and have no friends of my own, which is a blog entry for another day) and I was excited to work on my language skills (I speak English and French, I've got basic Russian and a bit of Korean).

Well, I went to my Japanese class last night and it was not at all what I was expecting it to be (in a bad way).
Contacted the University this morning to ask for a cancellation/refund, and they came back asking if I could provide more information because they don't really offer refunds for people who have started the course. Fair enough. So, I listed what happened and how I felt about it (which was a lot of text, I have to admit - it takes a lot for this girl not to stick to a language) and I also said how I felt about it as a language learner and as an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teacher.
Welp, apparently that was the wrong thing to bring up.
They've now got me talking to a different member of faculty who is now all up in arms and clearly hasn't taken the time to properly read my e-mail - I have a feeling that she's friends with the Japanese teacher. She's also getting pretty in my face and is basically insinuating that I'm just having troubles because I'm a teacher and that I need to settle into the role of a student - and that I'm probably just having troubles because it's a language with a different script.
Honey. Sit down.
I've handled classes with two different scripts, I can handle a Japanese class where we're only focusing on one of three alphabets.
She'd like me to go again next week with a different outlook on things, and I have zero desire to do so - I also know that by that time my rights to a cancellation/refund are basically nullified as it'll be well past the time frame that are in their T&Cs (I could always rely on the earlier e-mails if I had to, but I'd like to make this as easy as possible).
I've replied very politely to her, reiterating myself and basically saying that I'm not going back next week/asking how we can proceed.

Yes, it's a bit petty - but I refuse to pay for a class that I didn't enjoy and didn't find productive...especially after having someone get so snotty with me after I highlighted the issues!

Tenko out (and possibly back later with an update).

-Tenko x

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Language , Rants

Comments

Animeleague Uses Cookies!
We use cookies to store session information to remember your login information, to save your website preferences, to provide other functions such as our chat room and to analyse our web traffic. Read our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy.
Please let us know your cookie preferences.