Last Exile

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Re: Last Exile

Post by unoduetre » 22 Jun 2019, 17:28

Maybe I should combine them, ha ha.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 22 Jun 2019, 17:29

Btw. Last Exile is very similar to Captain Harlock in many ways. I wonder if you've also noticed that.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 22 Jun 2019, 17:31

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 22 Jun 2019, 17:45

Alis is my favourite character so far. :) I like that she's rational, not driven by emotions but she still cares about her friends.

Who are yours?

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 22 Jun 2019, 18:00

Hmm, there is one thing I don't like in this anime.

Spoiler:  
Almost all women (screentime based) are shown as incompetent at at least one point in time. But almost all men (screentime based) are always competent.

And there are those moments when they are shown as psychologically weak. Those moment are added with full awareness and they are meant to be understood that those women are only pretending to be strong, but they're psychologicaly weak. It's the same old thing about "finding one's womanhood" by being psychologically weak in my opinion. This element is shit in my opinion.

The list:

Women:

Examples:

Lavie - shown as incompetent as a navigator when she's scared and later passes out (main)
Tatiana - shown as incompetent as a pilot when she passes out, shown as irrational when she wants to compete in the race instead of focusing on the mission (main)
Sophia - shown as incompetent as a princess when she comes back to her country and ends up imprisoned in the tower (she needs to be saved by someone else) and shown as driven by emotions when she kisses the main character and shown as weak when she cries in the tower (supporting)

Counterexamples:

Alister - always competent, not driven by emotions, always rational (supporting)

Men:

Examples:

Claus - never incompetent or driven by emotions, always rational (main) (also: "he's so brave" and "all babes are his")
Alexander - never incompetent or driven by emotions, always rational (main)

50/ 50:

Mullin - never incompetent or driven by emotions, but shown as a naive person (supporting)

Counterexamples:

Vincent - shown as an incompetent captain, driven by emotions during combat (supporting)

I don't think this is something arguable, right? Or maybe I missed something?

If you think it's too unjust to some characters, please, let me know. I want a balanced view.

This was written after I watched episode 16, so there might be some new facts coming later in the show.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 22 Jun 2019, 18:34

I also like Dio. It's interesting how he disregards the rules.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 22 Jun 2019, 18:37

And Alvis is a cool character as well. :) She's very smart for a child her age, but still a child.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 22 Jun 2019, 18:38

Alexander is also good but I've seen a better version of him in Captain Harlock. :P

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 22 Jun 2019, 19:45

unoduetre wrote:Hmm, there is one thing I don't like in this anime.

Spoiler:  
Almost all women (screentime based) are shown as incompetent at at least one point in time. But almost all men (screentime based) are always competent.

And there are those moments when they are shown as psychologically weak. Those moment are added with full awareness and they are meant to be understood that those women are only pretending to be strong, but they're psychologicaly weak. It's the same old thing about "finding one's womanhood" by being psychologically weak in my opinion. This element is shit in my opinion.

The list:

Women:

Examples:

Lavie - shown as incompetent as a navigator when she's scared and later passes out (main)
Tatiana - shown as incompetent as a pilot when she passes out, shown as irrational when she wants to compete in the race instead of focusing on the mission (main)
Sophia - shown as incompetent as a princess when she comes back to her country and ends up imprisoned in the tower (she needs to be saved by someone else) and shown as driven by emotions when she kisses the main character and shown as weak when she cries in the tower (supporting)

Counterexamples:

Alister - always competent, not driven by emotions, always rational (supporting)

Men:

Examples:

Claus - never incompetent or driven by emotions, always rational (main) (also: "he's so brave" and "all babes are his")
Alexander - never incompetent or driven by emotions, always rational (main)

50/ 50:

Mullin - never incompetent or driven by emotions, but shown as a naive person (supporting)

Counterexamples:

Vincent - shown as an incompetent captain, driven by emotions during combat (supporting)

I don't think this is something arguable, right? Or maybe I missed something?

If you think it's too unjust to some characters, please, let me know. I want a balanced view.

This was written after I watched episode 16, so there might be some new facts coming later in the show.

Hmm yeah I could agree with this. Looking through its staff list, pretty much everyone in a position of creative power is male. They have probably have a special relationship with the idea of girls. Probably not a deliberately malicious one, maybe something like girls are the most important feature of an anime and the viewer must empathize with them and the best way to do that is for them to show weakness. I don't know. I don't think it's all that bad compared to a lot of anime series, but there does seem to be a difference in the way female characters are handled versus male characters.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 22 Jun 2019, 20:05

[mention=6444]Momogari[/mention]

Yeah, that's the only thing I dislike. I like everything else about this anime. :D

(Well, maybe if I tried really, really hard to find something… but nothing else comes to my mind at the moment.)

To put it simply, it's a great anime.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 22 Jun 2019, 20:06

Yes, it is. what episode are you on now?

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 22 Jun 2019, 20:07

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 22 Jun 2019, 20:10

That's a memorable episode.

The roses scene at the coronation is what I think of whenever I hear that particular music track.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 22 Jun 2019, 20:23

I like music in this anime in general. It's not average anime music.

And the music in the OP is really unusual for anime I think.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 22 Jun 2019, 20:28

yeah.

This anime has my favorite use of CG in all the anime I've seen. Granted I'm more of a military fan than you.