Sewing is fun?

zzzz

Country
      UK
      Array
      Awards Showcase

Credits

Cosplaying while unattractive?

So Ive decided to cosplay as neku from the world ends with you for lac, I'm out in a charity shop looking for white shorts or trousers to modify when my dad, looking through the books, says I cant pull off the character because of my legs.

I'm a little chunky, so I never cosplay as girls, ive always prefered male chars anyway so Im not that bothered.
      However I do have scars over my legs. Alot of them, from when I chased my dog into a nettle patch and couldnt stop scratching. This is what my dad meant about not being able to pull it off.

How does cosplayers with imperfections or deformaties make people feel? Should people ignore critisim as long as they feel comfortable in their cosplays?
      Is it confidence that pulls off a cosplay and not beauty? Should I go as Neku?

Wan wan wan

Content

Country
      UK
      Array
      Credits

Re: Cosplaying while unattractive?

I personally wouldn't let things like that bother you. That's just something that makes you, you. Cosplaying is purely about having fun so I shouldn't let scars on your legs bother you. I doubt people would be paying much attention to them anyway since their focus would more be on the cosplay itself.

If your really self concious about it, then you could try wearing flesh coloured tights which should help to even out and cover a lot of it. But personally, I wouldn't worry.

Wetware Robot

Country
      USA
      Array
      Credits

Hello Ziegsy!

I had to google that character. It looks like he'll be lots of fun to cosplay! You should totally go as Neku.
      I believe that it is confidence that makes the cosplay. If you are comfortable with your cosplay than not much else matters. In my little troupe we have a tall heavy set girl. She has scars on the back of her wrist (motorbike accident) and does not like her arms. However when we all all together and she starts smiling and gets into character nothing else matters.

I like blackravens suggestion for flesh tone tights it they really bother you. If the scars don't bother you then don't worry about it. In the cosplay community it seems like a small elitist sect has sprung up. They thinks only model quality looks should cosplay. Yes someone might say something. But in the end that is only their opinion and the much larger part of the community feels otherwise.

Cosplay should be fun.
      Chemically Unstable

Oh, Maker, why am I still AWAKE?!

Arty

Country
      UK
      Array
      Credits

See, I have the same worry.
      My legs are just riddled with scars since Im so accident prone.
      If they bother you, as BlackRaven066 said, tights do help. I always wear tights if Im showing any of my leg.

Another things is cocoa butter and bio oil. There are a lot of different treatments for scars and theyre not that expensive. It'll take a while and it's not a quick fix like tights but it would probably help in the long run.

But don't let them get you down. They're a part of you and you shouldn't let them intefer with your cosplays.

I think a good cosplay is made through the details. It doesnt matter if you suit it or if you're the wrong build so long as it's well made and accurate.

I will say that if you are uncomfortable about it and you will not feel good in it and will not enjoy cosplaying him anymore then don't force yourself. You have no need to be uncomfortable but you don't want to spend your time worrying while you're cosplaying him.

I do hope you still cosplay Neku. Not enough people cosplay from TWEWY

Food is glorious

Angry

Country
      Scotland
      Array
      Awards Showcase

Credits

Oh Neku i always wanted to cosplay him maybe in ths future and there alot of people who cosplay who are a bit chubby but it doesnt bother anyone if they them selves arent bothered. It abit of fun and not to be taken seriously

who to cosplay next hmmm

Awesome

Country
      UK
      Array
      Credits

Jess, you are far from unnattractive dear, you should just go for it! It doesn't matter that you have scars on your legs, if it doesn't bother you it won't bother anyone else! I'm all chubby, got lots of curves but I'm still going to cosplay ^_^ At the end of the day don't care what people think, just dress up as whoever you want and have fun XD That's the whole point of cosplaying! Also Neku is AWESOME so I think you should just do it :3

The Moogle
      Blue.

Sad

Country
      Scotland
      Array
      Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
      Credits

what jadey says your not unnatractive. though i know its hard to see it in yourself for its easy to be critical of your own flaws.

as suggested tights or even flesh coloured leggings if you want something thicker.

Sewing is fun?

zzzz

Country
      UK
      Array
      Awards Showcase

Credits

I never intended for the compliment fest xD
      I simply meant to start a disscussion on cosplaying with flaws. But thank you, all of you, I will cosplay as neku since you all are cheering me on.

who to cosplay next hmmm

Awesome

Country
      UK
      Array
      Credits

Yaaaaayyyyy XD

I just want to watch the world burn

Godly

Country
      UK
      Array
      Awards Showcase

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegsy View Post
      I never intended for the compliment fest xD
      I simply meant to start a disscussion on cosplaying with flaws. But thank you, all of you, I will cosplay as neku since you all are cheering me on.
      Everybody's got flaws, you're going to be in a place filled with people dressing ridiculously, if you're lucky you'll get to see that one guy who always comes in a box pretending to be Optmus Prime, whatever these hideously disgusting flaws you're talking about are no-one is likely to notice. I say dress in whatever you want, at the very least what you're comfortable in, even in the off chance that this fails and goes horribly wrong at least you won't be moping around in that 'what if...' phase. :3

Sheldon Cooper <3

Embarrased

Country
      Peru
      Array
      Blog Entries
      Credits

Hi

I believe that you must care more about having fun than listening to people. You know that "haters gonna hate" so IF they critized you, just take that to make you stronger! Take them as an opportunity to show how strong you are.

Also, someone who help me a lot is TWINFOOLS!

He's FTM and pass throw a lot of "haters" but he continues cosplaying! He also has a tumblr where he give advice and well, I get inspired with his history. I hope you get inspired too and decide to cosplay no matter what happens next!
      JUST HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you around space cowboy

Sad

Country
      UK
      Array
      Awards Showcase

Credits

I hate my legs too. (I have ugly stretch marks and shit. ) Someone who will be doing a Touhou cosplay group said that mixing foundation, with some glue, along with natural coloured tights worked a treat for them. (They also said they got into an accident, so had quite a few scars on their legs.) So maybe try that? I have lots of cosplays I wanna do, but it's more lack of funds. If I could there would be loads. Hell someone was suppose to help me with my first cosplay, but they ended up being too forgetful so I never cosplayed. So my first cosplay will be a Moomba. ~Mog~ has been super kind enough to make me a kigu. So I don't really have to worry about too much this time round. Although if I do get enough funds I'll cosplay Aya. >_>

But yeah. You shouldn't listen to what other people say. (I know easier said than done. ) From the cosplays I've seen you do, you look great.
      Join my Online gaming clan "Worlds Apart" here. All are welcome!

Thanks Velveeta for the amazing set!
      Become an assistant and help out with the radio! ---> HERE

Thread Information