• Silly
  • No Mood

Sigh

Country
      USA
      Array
      Credits

Higher Education

Been some time since we've had this thread, unless I wasn't paying attention. There's been a debate going on over whether college and university is a good investment. Let's hear what everyone here thinks about their own situation, and in general.

1. What country do you live in?
      2. Where are you at in your academic career, high school, college, community college, university, graduated with __ degree?
      3. What are your career goals, or, what is your major?
      4. If not already graduated, are you planning on going to college, either 2-year or 4-year or other? Why or why not?
      5. Do you feel that higher education is a good financial investment for you?
      6. Do you feel that, in general, higher education is a good (or bad) financial investment for anyone?
      7. What are your thoughts on today's cost of higher education?

I'll post my response later.

Re: Higher Education

What country do you live in?
      United States

Where are you at in your academic career, high school, college, community college, university, graduated with __ degree?
      University; I have an AA, working on my BS.

What are your career goals, or, what is your major?
      Cognitive Neuroscience major; I want to study Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

Do you feel that higher education is a good financial investment for you?
      I think so. Sure, it's scary to think about how you'll pay for next semester and finding ways to try and cut costs on books and transportation, but it's worth the opportunities I've had in just my first year.

Do you feel that, in general, higher education is a good (or bad) financial investment for anyone?
      Maybe not for anyone. There are a lot of people who are very successful without any higher education of any sort. So it would depend on the person. On average, though, I would say it's a good investment.

What are your thoughts on today's cost of higher education?
      I think they're outrageous and many politicians are having this "attack" on education (in Arizona alone, we've almost had a mandatory $2,000 fine placed on any student in Arizona that can't be paid off by loans, scholarships, or any sort of money that isn't your own - no joke. And it wasn't warranted. The reason given was that he heard "Half of all ASU students don't pay anything out of pocket for their education", meaning they get scholarships and such. He thought it was outrageous).
      Avatar made by LJ community magic_art

^ Birthday gift from Omega Persona

neverending story 4: ramblings edition

Annoyed

Country
      Kiribati
      Array
      Awards Showcase

Credits

- scotland

Where are you at in your academic career, high school, college, community college, university, graduated with __ degree?

- finished school with 8 highers never bothered with uni or college

- call centre job until something better comes up or i move away. moving looks the most likely.

If not already graduated, are you planning on going to college, either 2-year or 4-year or other? Why or why not?

- i am lazy and can't be bothered going back into education

- no, i can't afford the fees.

Do you feel that, in general, higher education is a good (or bad) financial investment for anyone?

- it can be, if you are prepared to put the effort in an understand the consequences of the amount you will have to pay back when you get a job that hits their payback trigger. i've seen friends who have had what they owe treble before getting a job that hits the payback bar and it's not fun having 15-20k of debt round your neck

- if you're from a middle income family, laughably expensive.
      i don't take kindly to you posting round here

You are reading this

Amused

Country
      UK
      Array
      Credits

England

1st year of Univeristy

Electronic Engineering

If not already graduated, are you planning on going to college, either 2-year or 4-year or other? Why or why not?
      Doing a Bachelors so 3 years

My Sixth form college put a lot of emphasis on going to Uni so I felt pressured into it, really. But tbh I'd say a degree would be useful in the area I area that I want to get a job.

Couldn't say really, I mean in certain fields (like teaching or whatever) there's no denying it'll improve job prospects.

Too damn high!
      i think mah boi is a pretty cool guy. eh wonders what gannons up to and doesn’t afraid of anything.

Hopeful :D

Awesome

Country
      USA
      Array
      Awards Showcase

Credits

-USA

Senior at University.

Digital arts. I am hoping to be an animator or game designer (most likely will try to be an animator while going to grad school at UCF's FIEA for game design)

n/a

I feel it is...

If the school staff are dedicated to helping their students learn, graduate, get jobs, and get into professional school then it is worth the investment.

I picked a private school knowing the costs were high but I think costs for both private and public should be brought down dramatically.

I shall have your soul.

Im looking for anyone who is familiar with either java script, dynamic html, or side server script for a MMORPG I am creating with a small group .

Head Moderator
      Omnia Vantias

Bitey

Country
      USA
      Array
      Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
      Credits

USA

University

I have an AA in General Education with an Anthropology emphasis, and I'm working on a Biochemistry BS right now. Hopefully going to do some science when I'm older

After this? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what the value of it is.

Yup.

Yes, I do. Even if it's just community college to get an AA degree, it's important.

Hublargh. It's ridiculous. I live in California, the state of doomed economics and it's absolutely spaztic. I go to a private university now, but when I was at my community college, they were slashing classes and teacher and everything left and right, but the administrators of the school were still making mad bank and could find it in their pockets to fund their pet projects - like new buildings...that didn't have any classes held in them because they had cut back on classes. Politicians don't help, and private university isn't exempt from the exact same problems.
      I'm the girl you've been thinking about, the one thing you can't live without. I'm the girl you've been waiting for. I'll have you down on your knees, I'll have you begging for more. You probably thought I wouldn't get this far, you thought I'd end up in the back of a car. You probably thought that I'd never escape, I'd be a rat in a cage, I'd be a slave to this place. You don't know how hard I fought to survive, waking up alone when I was left to die. You don't know about this life I've lived, all these roads I've walked, all these tears I've bled. So how can this be? You're praying to me, there's a look in your eyes, I know just what that means...I can be, I can be your everything. I can be your whore! I am the dirt you created, I am your sinner, I am your whore. But let me tell you something baby - You love me for everything you hate me for. I'm the one that you need and fear, now that you're hooked, it's all becoming clear. That all your judgments that you placed on me, was a reflection of discovery. So maybe next time when you cast your stones from the shadows of the dark unknown, you will crawl up from your hiding place, take a look in the mirror, see the truth in your face. So how can this be? You're praying to me. There's a look in your eyes, I know just what that means...I can be, I can be your everything. I can be your whore! I am the dirt you created. I am your sinner. I am your whore. But let me tell you something baby, you love me for everything you hate me for. I am the dirt you created. I am your sinner. I am your whore. But let me tell you something baby, you love me, you want me, you need me! I can be your whore! I am the dirt you created, I am your sinner, I am your whore. But let me tell you something baby - you love me for everything you hate me for. I can be your whore! I can be your whore! I can be your whore! But let me tell you something baby, you love me for everything you hate me for...You love me for everything you hate me for.

brave new world

Horny

Country
      Puertorico
      Array
      Credits

Puerto Rico

Got my bachelor's in mass communications, doing a post-bachelor's in media writing, and will be starting law school in August.

The end goal is to be a lawyer, possibly with my own practice, but anything could happen. Law is very versatile.

N/A

Comparing college costs with the US, yes. I do have a day job that has nothing to do with my major, but I also have a couple of clients for whom I write for. I like writing, and said writing is blog and PR writing. So I can at least say that I work in what I study.

It depends on the person's goals really.

Terrible, in the US anyway. Many other places have different models, some very low cost or even free. The public university here is insanely accesible, $45 a credit, and I honestly don't know why more places are not like this, especially in the US.
      tumblr

I'll fuck your shit up. Later.
      former admin and awesome member.

[less than three]

Amused

Country
      UK
      Array
      Awards Showcase

Credits

1. What country do you live in?
      Britain

2. Where are you at in your academic career, high school, college, community college, university, graduated with __ degree?
      University, first year.

3. What are your career goals, or, what is your major?
      I hope to get into the games development industry through this course, or atleast go on to becomming a 3d designer through the use of my self-study tactics and ideas.

4. If not already graduated, are you planning on going to college, either 2-year or 4-year or other? Why or why not?
      I'm on a 4-year sandwhich course.

5. Do you feel that higher education is a good financial investment for you?
      Sure, I mean, sort-of. All of the stuff you learn in any teaching establishment can be self taught, what you pay for is the porspect of help and a person to be poking you in the back every now and then, pushing you to continue on your adventure for higher knowledge. So really, if you had a dedicated friend, you already have one of the two things you pay for. Then all you need to do is get enough steam to push yourself hard enough that you don't need the help offered by tutors. Well, I say "all", it's not as if what I'm saying is easy. That's why I'm paying for my education, well, that and the sheet of A-4 paper I get at the end of it that denotes all of my worth will mean hella loads for jobs.

6. Do you feel that, in general, higher education is a good (or bad) financial investment for anyone?
      Good. My points above stand true, but friends waver and text books get lost. Tutors, not so much.

7. What are your thoughts on today's cost of higher education?
      Stupid. Sure you're paying for your future, in effect, but your paying for a future that's going to be kickstarted with a large boot of debt. (Talking from England's perspective, here, where the costs have just gone up. I'm not affected by them, but everyone for here-on-out will be.)

Content

Country
      UK
      Array
      Awards Showcase

Credits

England.

School technically, but college I suppose. In my final year before uni.

I have no career goals, except to get the hell out of England, or a job that'll allow me to do so on a regular basis.

I'm planning on going to study a BA in Spanish and Japanese as of September, for a 4-year sandwich course.

Yes, although it's going to be hella expensive, it's all investing in the future.

It depends on the subject to be studied and if you're serious about it. Don't go there just for the parties, I can think of much better ones costing £36,000.

Bloody expensive! But can't judge on it's worth as I haven't experienced it first-hand.

Squee~

Awesome

Country
      UK
      Array
      Credits

What country do you live in? England.

Where are you at in your academic career, high school, college, community college, university, graduated with __ degree? Finish Uni in a couple of weeks.

What are your career goals, or, what is your major? Just had a job interview at Ubisoft. If I don't get it, I'll continue applying to other games companies.

Do you feel that higher education is a good financial investment for you? Yes. In my field of industry, the majority of people have degrees. Without one, it's very hard to be taken seriously. I've learnt a lot, I've grown as a person, I've made vital industry contacts that I wouldn't have had otherwise. The price is steep, and I was at University before they had the potential to raise it to 9 grand a year... I would have to seriously consider my financial situation as I've struggled affording to live on the 3,000 a year fees!

Do you feel that, in general, higher education is a good (or bad) financial investment for anyone? Yes. I don't believe everyone should go to University, it is meant for academics and it should be an environment in which people who are serious about their study can thrive. I have found that too many people who don't really give half a shit and are just there because they don't know what else to do end up going, which I think defeats the point of going to University. It supposed to be an achievement to get into University but I think they encourage too many people to go when they'd be better off doing other things. But on the other hand if you are academic I think it should be encouraged.

What are your thoughts on today's cost of higher education? Too much, since the rise. Paying back those kind of debts is enough to put people off, even the exceptionally talented, who come from poorer backgrounds. I got into a better University but couldn't afford to go there, which sucks. I still enjoyed my time at University but I'm bitter I didn't get the education I could have had because of my financial situation.

Thread Information