An Introduction to Manga Forge
From the MF Staff.
Welcome to The Manga Forge!
Welcome to Manga Forge! We are here to create manga and why not, see our work get published! We believe in the value of team-work and in artists, writers and colourists working together! We create bi-monthly challenges designed to help develop your abilities, and a team of fellow artists, writers and colourists for you to join!
The aims of the program
1. To build your skills and ensure that you understand the basics of manga creation.
2. To make sure you understand the importance of teamwork and community.
3. To find your route and specialised field.
4. To give you aim and focus.
5. To see you have fun and make friends with your fellows.
6. To improve your skills in art, writing and colouring.
Becoming a Member
Step One: Signing Up!
Fill out this form and post it in this thread
Role: Traditional artist, digital artist, writer or colourist?
What do you want gain from Manga Forge?
What is your best skill at creating manga?
What is your worst skill at creating manga?
Step Two: Making your Portfolio thread:
Next, go make your portfolio topic in Manga Forge! You are also more than welcome to comment on other people's portfolios, and we highly recommend you do this since it will bring people to yours. We also recommend you to check our STUFF THREAD to upload your recent works and have a look at other members updates.
1. Threads titles should say portfolio in them. Thread titles should also include a tag saying whether they're traditional artist, digital artis, writer, colourist.
Tags = Traditional artist (TA), digital artist (DA), writer (W), colourist (C). Or a mixture of tags if your multi-tasking
So for example:
"Shooby's Portfolio - Lots of colours! [DA-W]" would show that I am digital artist, and writer within my portfolio.
2. Start with an introduction to yourself and the portfolio. Maybe say what inspires you, what you want to gain from Manga Forge etc. This should definitely include your DA page/fanfiction/fiction press/Nano/Other accounts related to your creative works.
3. - Start with the piece you want critiquing at the time. You can specify exactly what you want critiquing if you'd like (for instance, as an artist, you may be working on posture, so you can direct them towards this side of your artwork), or you can ask for a more general critique.
- Along with the piece you want critiquing, perhaps have a piece that is your favourite (that you've made), or maybe something you did as a group. Essentially something you're proud of, or that you want to show off.
4. - The third section can include links to the rest of your works, wherever they may be. If you have a DA account and lots of pieces, I suggest you don't link to them all, just a couple that you want people to read, and maybe critique if they're really interested.
Step Three: Earn Your Levels!
Now we want to know you better! To earn your levels, take part to the VAULT CHALLENGE. Your levels will show whether you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced traditional or digital artist, writer or colourist. When you are given your levels, you will receive a banner to show in your signature, an award displayed in your profile and critiques to help you improve in whatever field you have chosen for yourself.
Manga Forge staff are responsible for welcoming newcomers. Prowl the welcomes forum looking for anyone who mentions an interest in art/writing and suggests Manga Forge to them. Comment in the portfolios of our current members, making sure that everyone in the forum feels the love.
If you feel you would to support the section as an assistant you can sign up HERE.
Challenges are designed to help you improve and develop into a professional at a speed that suits you. Therefore challenges fall into three categories, each focuses on a different aspect and they rotate through the months to give a well-rounded course.
1. Techniques and Processes. - This will focus on improvement of the technical side ie. Proportions, computer software and tools, developing plot, self analysis and critique, layouts, graphic design, perspective, lighting etc etc. All challenges in this area should not only have an outcome submitted but also the step by step to reach the end goal so staff can see their processes of working. Things like Flash Forge Month are in place to help you see your own improvement when you finish and look back.
2. Live Briefs - This will be challenges completed to a professional level, the best the artist/writer/CGer has to offer. The briefs will be actual industry based projects, where possible they will be live ie relevant at present. Some maybe older, but needed to help them demonstrate a certain industry skill set needed for actual work. From time to time they maybe research projects as well such as Law and Legislation regarding copyright and other important things they need to know for professional working in this area. It could also be how to pitch an idea to a publisher(we went over this briefly once already), how to write a covering letter, where to look for work etc. So there is more to this then just drawing, coloring and scripting.
3. Team Building Exercises - Working as mini studios, randomly assorted people each time. Challenges focus on team work, playing together to create something above that of the individual. Being reliable, flexible and professional with other people. Teams should be different each time to enable everyone in the section to get to know each other and their working methods, also to prevent exclusion of new comers. Focus is heavy regarding deadlines and group critique.
Along side the challenges also run competitions, discussions, games, mini challenges for fun etc.
Updates on external events such as:
National Novel Writing Month,
Flash Fiction Month,(News Letter)
DAC (weekly character design)
Colour Me Club
Are always encouraged, discussed and shared when they come around on the calender.
Navigating Manga Forge:
Post Your Picture
Manga Forge FAQs
The New Manga/Comic Writing Workshop!
Manga Forge is sponsored by Under Dogs.
Ever seen a dog that continually fights for all the wrong reasons? Or a dog that wins every fight? Well, that's great to be a winner, here and there, but the most appreciative of all dogs is an Under Dog. Why? Because Under Dogs fight with a purpose. To defend, for honor, to survive, or prove they are strong and hopeful. More importantly, in the end, no matter how long it takes, they somehow make it on top.
The Under Dogs are all writers out there, recognized or unestablished, who do it for all reasons conceivable. In this case, the Under Dogs are all willing members, collectively organized, whom support and are frequent visitors or contributors to the Literature and Writing Section, The RolePlayer's Realm, CityScape, and Manga Forge. All four sections are important in helping a writer develop and grow with skills, ideas, and can gain support. Under Dog's seeking to make it on top, struggling and fighting for goals makes them that more dangerous.
A) Provide encouragement to all writers, regardless of experience level
B) To assist or offer guidance to help writers improve
C) To give constructive criticism where needed or wanted
D) Give everyone a fair amount of attention (No work goes unnoticed or without response)
E) Establish Guidelines or tips for all who wish to improve
F) Have proper IN Clan Guardians to 'teach' novice writers for any and all styles and forms
G) Provide outside material suggestions for outside learning seekers
H) Always aim for improvement.
I) Most of all, Have Fun
Under Dogs Sign Ups (clicky)
Every so often we will have guest professionals who will either come in for a Q&A session or to set a special challenge. Stay tuned for announcements!
Last edited by explodingdragon; 05-15-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Hey. The old way of downloading your pictures and posting them isn't there anymore...How do I do that? Can't make a portfolio if none of my stuff is online and I can't figure it out. -.-'
"The last time I saw him he was walking down Lover's Lane holding his own hand." -Fred Allen
"An optimist will tell you the glass is half-full; the pessimist, half-empty; and the engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be"- Anonymous
http://www.animeleague.net/forum/sho...orks-Portfolio <--- This is my old Portfolio from TD. Only a few of the pics are left. -.-'
@laelruin go to "go advanced" and scroll down till you find the button saying manage attachments
thanks for the lovely siggy sumi and Himeno^^ GUMI-ISM FOR LIFE BISHES!
Yeah, I have problems with that as well, @laelruin . This is what I do: write [img]copy the link to your art work here[/img] Hope that helps
Does the pic already have to be online? Like Photobucket?
Yeah or dA. Normally you can upload from your PC too but there seems to be a problem with that. @Capousky , would you be able to mention this to Free? It's a pain if a section with a heavy picture element has trouble with posting them
Thanks to Anni for the set <3
Common sense is so rare these days it's classified a superpower!
Mata is sponsored by Marmite
Yeah, I need to ask the correct way to post pictures. But you also can add them from your computer using the "Manage attachments" button you will see using the "Advanced" option when you post
A little thing used to pop up asking if you wanted to uplaod from a URL or your computer but that seems to have vanished
Originally Posted by Matahachi
A little thing used to pop up asking if you wanted to uplaod from a URL or your computer but that seems to have vanished
yeah that's broke now i don't why or how long thou
Thanks to Velveeta for this amazing set.
Originally Posted by raythemartyr
Plans can fail.
I don't plan therefor, I can't fail.
I must be doing this backwards (thanks explodingdragon) but I'm certainly interested. I could definitely do five hours a week as a writer so could I still sign up for it?
~~~ Proud Member of the Under Dogs Clan! ~~~
YES!! Welcome, welcome. You've already got a portfolio, so no worries there. One of the moderstors will add you to the group soon so that you'll be included in the mass Private Messages and notfications.
Now, feel free to sign up for the latest challenge, have a look at other people portfolios and comment on their works, or just hang out on the spam thread.
"If you want to become a manga creator, you've got to be able to meet your deadlines." - Tsugumi Ohba
My Manga Forge portfolio can be found HERE.
Follow my ramblings on twitter: @ExplodingDragon
Read my blog at: www.explosivewriting.com
Add me to your Google+ circles: gplus.to/ExplodingDragon
Hey Kakashi, welcome to the Forge, I am really happy to see you in our section. I will add you to the group once I get on my CP
hello...my name is deepika and i wanted to signup in Manga Forge
How much time will you commit to this course: atleast 2-3 hours a week
Hello dear!! Welcome to Manga Forge!
you can go ahead and upload your Portfolio, our Hmod will add you soon!
Im full of drugs and my brain is not cooperating but Im still alive which is regretful since I feel like shit. - Alucard
Common sense is so rare these days it's classified a superpower! - Mata
I'm a guy, naughty has nothing to do with it =P - Enfield
A change that will never change anything...Is a change I can live with - Ryukai
but they at least wear their masks correctly I never use the correct one - Alucard
honey there's nothing STRAAAAAAAAAAANGE about it.....it is perfection - Sirk
I'm with you there. Damn mind running like a hamster on a wheel - PharaohAtem
those people are wrong. I blame the media. At the root of it, most girls want the same thing guys want. With a bit more talking and food between wants. - Reine
I swear at the TV when I'm playing video games or tell myself out loud how silly I am for swearing at the TV while playing video games XD - Heartless
Kai, if you want to assume power to be able to declare pizza as a vegetable, you need to work on your ambitions - DrifterUKgod gave man 2 heads but only enough blood to run one at a time. - ReineThe one good thing about cats is that they have 9 lives. The one bad thing about cats is that it usually takes them 9 to learn how to survive. - Reinenonsense, perfect bishies and shoujos have no internal organs. - Stormbringer
Hello Deepika Sapra! Welcome. I added you to the group. Now you can receive notifications when we run events and similar ^^ Nice to have you with us
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)