• Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Administrator
      Hold back the tide, advance the ocean. Command the seas.

Cool

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

Thank You all for Attending! Feedback Welcome! Next LAGC is June 30 to July 2nd

So, we're all done finished for the event. Massive thankyou to our hard working crew and all of you guys who attended. Nearly 4,000 of you attended, which is the most we've ever had at one of our events. Not just that, but we raised over 1,000 for charity - thank you all that gave generously - all of which shall shortly go to Epilepsy Action.

Summer London Anime & Gaming Con this 30 June 2 July - Big Plans Ahead!

We're pleased to confirm that LAGC will return once more for all THREE DAYS this 30 June to 2 July! Make sure to go register for that now @ http://www.londonanimecon.com

Events Across the entire UK this 2017

We're also running eight more conventions this year across the entire UK; not just Alcon and LAGC. Here's our full lineup in what will be our biggest year ever -

8-9 April - Manchester Anime & Gaming Con - www.manchesteranimecon.com
      29-30 April - Bristol Anime & Gaming Con - www.bristolanimecon.com
      6-7 May - Glasgow Anime & Gaming Con - www.glasgowanimecon.com
      10-11 June - Liverpool Anime & Gaming Con - www.liverpoolanimecon.com
      30 June - 2 July - London Anime & Gaming Con - www.londonanimecon.com
      19-20 August - Cardiff Anime & Gaming Con - www.cardiffanimecon.com
      31st August to September 1-3 - Alcon 2017 - www.alcon.org.uk
      October 7-8 - www.bristolanimecon.com

Anyway, once more thank you all for attending. We can't do these events without you guys, and it's great to see that each time we run we are pulling in more and more of you, and that bodes well for the future. Myself an d my team will do our best to help ensure the quality of the events continue to improve and that you all continue to have a great time at them. Thanks everyone!

Please give us your feedback here!
      In a post-truth world, the one thing we can all rely on is the Animeleague News topic.

Re: Thank You all for Attending! Feedback Welcome! Next LAGC is June 30 to July 2nd

Hi guys,

Second time I have attended the event (last year was my debut) and dragged two friends along this time. I did like that it was all in the one building this year, but (unless I missed something) there seemed to be less film viewing rooms and that large Retro gaming section from last year seemed to be reduced to being in the main gaming room this time? I kinda sold my friends on the Retro stuff from last year and so was a little sad to see the number of machines on offer was greatly reduced. Apologies if I just blindly missed another part of the show where there was more Retro stuff.

That being said, we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Getting in to the venue seemed way easier than 2016 (we got there about 11:30am on Saturday) and the sound set-up for the upstairs stage was way, way better than last year (still hard to hear at the back but last year I was sat about six rows back and couldn;t hear anything from the guests, much clearer this time around)

Assistant
      There is only one chance in life

Horny

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Re: Thank You all for Attending! Feedback Welcome! Next LAGC is June 30 to July 2nd

Thanks for the event it was an amazing first time experience and something I have never done in my life that is completely out of character and comfort zone for me but I am glad I did it and would love to make this a regular thing for the future!

The only complaint I have which isnt down to anyone fault is the overwatch tournament being canceled due to a PC causing grief and then the floor layout could of been configured to cause less of a crowed.

Thank you AL for an amazing event and will see you all at the next one!

Assistant
      Shy

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Hey everyone, just want to say thank you to everyone who i saw and met on the sunday, especially the RWBY group in the cosplay masquerade! Hopefully i'll be there for more than one day later in the year, although next time i'll likely be on my own so will need a group to meet up with!

Content

Country
      UK
      AL Points

I had a great time, but i thought it was a oity that the gaming side of the convention took over, as there were lots of rooms for people to play games, but the only place where an anime was playing, it was over taken also by the gaming, making it impossible to hear the anime under the volume of the game playing and people cheering loudly.

It's easy for these posts to be a long list of complaints so I'll start with the positives.

• Entry was fantasticlly easy and well managed
      • The delineation of the upstairs from the entrance created a great flow to getting in
      • the food van was better!
      • Security were a lot nicer than at recent LAGC events
      • The volume of the downstairs stage was at a tolerable level before the party

Now the negative
      For something called London ANIME and Gaming Con ... where's the anime? Quinton Flynn was a great guest but ... it felt like he took ALL of the budget for guests and ... just wasn't enough. He should have been an ALCon guest IMO

The cosplay Stage and the whole tabletop gaming / dealers area is just not signposted well enough and is too far from the rest of the con to be worth the effort to go down there for the limited events that it holds. Considering the cosplay stage is a straight up class room, why isn't it used for more of the talks and panels with the main guests? Leave the Main(Events) stage for the theatricals and masquerades and have the talks in a more intimate space! I get that the venue has it's challenges but ... it's not great.

These are more issues with Rocket but need to be brought up
      • The soft drinks where FUCKING AWFUL! 3 for a 'coke' that was just soda water with a brown colour is just not acceptable.
      • Anime Screenings need a better space, the options around the downstairs stage are just too noisy and cramped
      • And the big one, the evenings are just: Enjoy Loud thumping music or piss off. No quieter spaces for friends to chat, drink, play games, watch anime, nothing. I've said it before and I'm saying it again, negotiate with Rocket to open the upstairs hall for people looking to avoid the party for a bit. They have a bar up there so it's not like they'll miss out on making money from the drinks sales, and to protect the dealers stuff literally use the security guards that where always visible up there anyway! The costs to rocket for 4-6 hours of 3 staff (1/2 bar 1 sec) is going to be waaaaaaay less than the lost drinks sales from people just leaving for lack of things to do in the evening. This is something that NEEDS addressing, some of my best LAC memories come from the late nights at LAC2, 3, and 4, being upstairs, getting drunk, and playing party games with people. I just want to be able to enjoy the evenings at a con I really enjoy going too, without getting either a headache from Knockoff Daft Punk playing 1 song repeatedly (seriously wub wub wub and nothing else) or freezing in a small alleyway with a load of smokers.

This is more of a personal thing than anything else but please make the con 18+ (or at the very least 16+) little kids ruin the atmosphere and there seemed to be a bit of underage drinking at the event, I saw a few girls that looked 14-16 with bottles of alcopops and generally drunk. The last thing Animeleague or Rocket need is a bust where someone gets caught with a drunk underage girl and the whole thing blows up.

And finally, do something about the dealers selling the wallets and bootleg crap, the amount of junk that's on sale where it's unofficial or bootleg or generic with a slapped on animu is just ... not good.

Ok rant that will be ignored like every other time over.
      "There are bad ways to win-- and good ways to lose.
      What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which.
      A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails.

Sometimes it may never land at all..."

-Grimsley, Unova Elite Four

This is a link. To photographs. Click the link to see the photographs.

Just about recovered from the weekend

zzzz

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

It's interesting reading a couple of the comments above feeling the focus was on gaming, because from my point of view I felt that the gaming stuff seemed more of an after thought, and that the focus was very much on the anime side. This being that the gaming was tucked away on it's own or used to fill up some empty spaces around the place. Also the actual gaming area seemed pretty badly laid out without much space to move around the consoles and there could've been a little more information about the contests or even what there actually was to play, it felt a little dumped in there to me.

I'd say it would've been nice to have a little more actual chill out space that didn't have anything going on. I know a lot of people used the green room next to the cosplay stage but I was nervous about using that as it wasn't on the list of places to go. I can see in the summer it would've fine with the outdoor space, but it was pretty cold this weekend, and started raining at a couple of points.

Personally I don't go to a convention to watch anime, but I did think it was a little odd to have it playing in that back area where it was super noisy. I'm not surprised that it didn't get many people watching it at any time.

Also the cosplay stage could've been better signposted, I missed it completely the first time I went to look for it. Actually I think a lot of places could've been better signposted. Also more representative maps. I did wonder if I was going the correct way on more than one occasion.

I can't think of anything else, but generally I had an amazing time :3

Getting close to finishing Naruto Shippuden dub sad times

Content

Country
      UK
      AL Points

I agree with a fair few of your points the soft drink prices are a rip off but I can't complain about the taste, I agree that the event should be 18+ it's not fun for some kids that get dragged along with their parents and most of us don't want them there in the first place also your right there was definitely underage drinking going on and you have rightly pointed out something could seriously go wrong, dealers selling bootleg stuff is a huge problem some dealers ONLY sold bootleg stuff alot of conventions wouldn't hesitate to kick dealers out that aren't selling legit stuff I see no reason why LAGC should be any different.

My final personal gripe is the huge lack of dealers that sell games there was only 1 dealer that exclusively sold games and when I spoke to him he admitted that he only brought a small amount of his stock which left me disappointed to say the least, the only other person that had games for sale was the guy on his stall in the front entrance who I bought 1 game off.

Overall, a very well run convention I thought! Queued up on the Friday and entered almost instantly. Rooms were a lot more tolerable temperature-wise, which has always been a complaint of mine. Dealers were a little bit limited and yeah, the bootleg wallet people (who were in all of the dealers rooms?) were a bit disappointing to see. Also disappointing was Quinton Flynn; It did baffle me that after AL's longstanding policy (at least from the cons i've been to) of 1 free signature and 10-15 for each one after, Quinton flynn charging 20 (30 on the saturday, cheeky edit on the sign there...) for autographs and even more for selfies and recordings? Not surprising that he had hardly any queue...Hopefully this isn't a trend that will continue!

Didn't go to loads of them, but well done on some of the stage events (Pokemon Z was an absolute gem!) and I was impressed how well things ran to time. Some panels though were cringeworthy-Special mention that the male host of the Con Horror Stories panel was particularly creepy, which was disappointing. Alex Baker on the other hand was an absolute pro as normal and he doesnt get anywhere near enough credit~

Also, maaaaaybe it's time to retire the AMV Hell that was made over 12 years ago and appears every year when time needs filling? Just a thought...

See you space cowboy
      #BornToMakeHistory

Ninja'ed

Country
      USSR
      AL Points

First of all thank you for putting on a great event. I know a lot of people work really hard in their own time to make these conventions a reality.

Positives

• Jollyboat were awesome as always. (I'm not sure of their time commitments etc but I'm sure they'd make great hosts as well for some events too)

• Alex Baker can host the shit out of anything.

• Staple AL events were fun as always. Ragequit Gameshow, Talent Show, Dub that Anime, Cosplay Auction. Some of these events are make or break depending on who gets plucked from the audience but Alex always manages to give them a little light ribbing to make them entertaining.

[After lots of incorrect answers to pretty easy questions]
      Alex "What game is this theme song"
      [Zelda theme plays]
      [Blank looks]
      Alex "I asked for people with gaming knowledge!!"
      Attendee "I didn't think you'd actually pick me!!"
      *facepalm*

• Purples Pokemon Z panel was a welcome surprise.

• Sunday's Rock Night was awesome and I felt it got the best response despite the fact it wasn't in the best timeslot. DJ did a great job of reviving the atmosphere.

Negatives

• Icebreaker event. I know there were some icebreaker things on the forum pre-con. However the Icebreaker at the con didn't really serve it's purpose. I think the event had to get picked up by someone who hadn't prepared for hosting it and had a bit of an ad-libbed feel to it. I feel events like these are really important for making friends at cons (especially when you travel alone) and depending on if you meet people really shapes your whole con experience.

• I know the guests have to make a living but the whole pay to interact, get a signature or picture with Quinton Flynn felt like the antithesis of what AnimeLeague cons were about. I didn't see him really interact in any of the panels. He was asked to judge the Dub that Anime but never actually got involved.

• At party times it literally boils down to karaoke or party. I appreciate you managed to cover lots of different genres over the 6 DJ slots but inevitably there are going to be genres you don't like when you cater to everyone. A quieter area we could have a couple of drinks and perhaps rent a set of cards against humanity or something would be appreciated or perhaps keeping the videogame area open with social local multiplayer games like 8 players Smash, Towerfall, Jackbox Party Pack (anything were lots of people can get involved and bond over a few drinks). The common area of the hostel sort of acted in this capacity but wasn't really lively until after the parties ended and then you have other guests to take into consideration.

• I'm not sure how many attendees were under the age 18. It felt early on the events were aimed at being PG but always fell back into 18+ territory.

• No shady corner in the auction. :/

Hopefully this hasn't come off too negatively as I had a great experience. I will definitely be at Alcon, and will look into other Animeleague organised events they year, if they fit my schedule.

MyCodenameIsIan
      Facebook // Twitter // Last.fm // MyAnimeList // Xbox Live

Piratey

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

So this was the 2nd time I've attended for one day. IM not interested in parties or staying in hostels.
      So positives:

I think I actually managed to find all the rooms (honestly its like a computer game trying to find all the rooms. You should hide gold coins to find or something).
      Didn't queue too long in the rain.
      Cosplay workshops.
      Price is good.

Negative:
      By the time I got there I'd missed the ludosport bit I wanted to see. And couldn't find anything about it other than a 11am slot on the scedule.
      So mooched around a bit. Watched some of the stage stuff. But...and here's the thing I'm not into anime and my gaming interest in more retro.
      So I ran out of things to do by early afternoon.

I like the size of the con I'm just not your target audience.

Getting close to finishing Naruto Shippuden dub sad times

Content

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Tea View Post
      So this was the 2nd time I've attended for one day. IM not interested in parties or staying in hostels.
      So positives:

I think I actually managed to find all the rooms (honestly its like a computer game trying to find all the rooms. You should hide gold coins to find or something).
      Didn't queue too long in the rain.
      Cosplay workshops.
      Price is good.

Negative:
      By the time I got there I'd missed the ludosport bit I wanted to see. And couldn't find anything about it other than a 11am slot on the scedule.
      So mooched around a bit. Watched some of the stage stuff. But...and here's the thing I'm not into anime and my gaming interest in more retro.
      So I ran out of things to do by early afternoon.

I like the size of the con I'm just not your target audience.
      If your not interested in Anime and only interested in Retro gaming im abit puzzled why you attended, don't get me wrong the Retro gaming at the con was good but still I thought it was a case of if your interested in both it's the con for you.

Piratey

Country
      UK

Awards Showcase

AL Points

I didn't realize the rules of entry was you had to like both.

If you can suggest another small London con with a more general theme (or doctor who, star wars etc.) I'd gladly go there instead.

First time at this event and had such a great time thanks! Went on the Saturday and really enjoyed a top 10 anime shows listed by a zelda cosplay. Shame I can't remember all of the shows on the list : ( see you all in July

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchess View Post
      First time at this event and had such a great time thanks! Went on the Saturday and really enjoyed a top 10 anime shows listed by a zelda cosplay. Shame I can't remember all of the shows on the list : ( see you all in July
      Angel362 might be able to help you out.
      Edit: Doesn't seem to be letting me mention her...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information