I am pleased to announce that we will be hosting our first DOTA 2 gaming tournament on AL!
Here is the rundown. We were graciously provided with two Steam game keys for the new game Strike Suit Infinity created by Born Ready Games. What is Strike Suit Infinity you ask?
Originally Posted by Game Description:
In Strike Suit Infinity, players fight to stay alive as long as possible against a never-ending army of enemies, with the intention of surviving each round and climbing as high up the leaderboards as possible. Each round is comprised of numerous waves of enemies, which get progressively harder.
In order to reach the top of the leaderboard, players will need to successfully chain their scoring to increase their score multiplier. The multiplier will decay however, so players must maintain rhythm while quickly despatching enemy ships.
Between rounds, players can use credits earned during combat to purchase reinforcements. Reinforcements range from Interceptors and Fighters all the way up to Cruisers and Frigates – challenging players to make strategic choices to get to the top of the leaderboard.
The ship designs in the game are from the renowned Mechanical Design engineer Junji Okubo. The Japanese artist is known for his work for games such as Infinite Space, Steel Battalion and Appleseed.
The music in the game is a collaboration between the Canadian award-winning composer and sound designer Paul Ruskay, especially known for his work for the space strategy game series Homeworld, and Japanese singer/songwriter Kokia, who also contributed music to Tales of Innocence and Origin: Spirits of the Past. The result is a great soundtrack which intensifies the gaming experience.
Sounds pretty awesome right?
Being that we are the VG Section, all of us here behind the scenes figured it would be an awesome idea to distribute the two provided keys to those who can prove their mettle in a VG tournament! The game that was chosen for this tournament is the popular game called Dawn of the Ancients 2, or DOTA 2 as it is more affectionately known.
The tournament rules and info are as follows:
1. Teams will consist of two players each, and will face off against another pair.
2. The game mode of each match before the finals will be determined by the participants before each match from a set list of possible game modes. Those unable to decide will have their match set to All Random.
- The possible game modes are All Pick, Single Draft, All Random, & Mid Only.
3. To win the match, you need to overcome your opponents and destroy your opponents' ancient.
4. The tournament will be decided in a bracket format, with a qualifier during the week beforehand if there are an ample number of signups.
5. All matches must be witnessed by a tournament official (K7Sniper or Angelic Prime, more officials may be added before the official start).
6. There is currently no ban on any specific character choice, though this may change before the tournament begins.
7. Each team will be allowed one medium-level CPU teammate that will be chosen by random. The CPU teammate may be removed if both teams wish.
8. The final round will be an All Pick - Mid Only match, with no CPU teammates.
9. The tournament is single elimination, with the exception of the finals.
10. The winning team will receive one game code for each teammate. The runners up will both receive 15,000 credits each if they are on AL.
Signups will be held this week, and being that there are actual prizes being awarded, SIGNUPS WILL BE CLOSED WHEN I WAKE UP ON WEDNESDAY, MAY 22ND (AROUND 6 AM EST). So, you have an entire week to prepare and practice before then. Any qualifiers will be scheduled Thursday-Saturday before the tournament, with the final bracket beginning at 11 AM EST on SUNDAY MAY 26TH.
To sign up, simply post here with your team name and your members (AL names and their steam handles). I will keep an official list here in this topic, and only teams listed here will be allowed to participate. We will cap the number of teams at 8. Any additional teams will be added to the list as a fill-in replacement for the qualifying rounds only (The quarterfinals, to be technically correct). If a team fails to make it to any qualifier, I will go down the list of fill-ins for a replacement. If there is still no opponent, then that squad will be automatically advanced. If any team fails to show up for their match in the final four bracket or the finals, they will advance. If someone for some reason doesn't show up for the final round, then the losing semifinal teams will battle for a place, and the tourney will become a double elimination (meaning that the one who made it normally only needs to win one game, while the losing semifinal teams will need to win 2 to win it all). If we fail to reach 8 teams, those who are available will play against each other until the top 4 teams can be determined, perhaps via a round-robin system.
Many matches will be recorded via Twitch TV, and DOTA 2 contains a pretty good spectator mode as well. If you don't have a copy of DOTA 2 and wish to participate, contact either K7Sniper or Angelic Prime, and we will try to accommodate you with one of the free keys we have. There are a limited number, so first come first serve.
Also, all participants need to have K7Sniper on their friends list on Steam in order for quick communications.
So, to recap...
WHEN: Sunday May 26th, 11 AM EST (4 PM GMT)
WHERE: On Steam in the game DOTA 2
PRIZES: Two (2) game codes for the new game Strike Suit Infinity, created by Born Ready Games
SIGNUPS CLOSE ON WEDNESDAY MAY 22ND @ 6 AM EST.
With all that being said, if you are interested in signing up, post here with the team information or PM K7Sniper.
Current Team List