Home Home Home Home Home Home
  • A Golden (Age) Oldie

Berserk!

Yes I am back with a review of one of my favourite anime ever, Berserk. This is disturbing and wholly violent anime is based upon the manga by Kentaro Miura and is set in a medieval Europe inspired fantasy world full of demons (Apostles), elves, human and the undead.

The Manga began back in 1990 and is still going, aimed at the Seinen Demographic reaching 36 volumes, and published by Dark Horse comics in the west. The anime series was produced by OLM written by Yasuhiro Imagawa, directed by Naohito Takahashi with music by Susumu Hirasawa. It was produce back in 1997, ran for 25 episodes, it was licensed by MVM Films in the UK.

Well that is all the formal informative stuff taken care of, now just crack on with how awesome this series is! It should be noted that a lot of the more brutal and violent stuff wasn’t carried over from the manga, and there were a few alterations, all of the changes were made with the permission of Kentaro Miura.

Now all the changed taken into account this series is great, it has fair dark in mood to it. The Golden arc part is pretty true to the manga though, with some modification or elimination of characters and the more violent scenes. The themes of the anime focus on friendship, loyalty and ambition rather then loss, causality and the supernatural, though the latter theme became more prominent in the last few episodes.

So I have give you a lot of information on the details of the series both in manga and anime form nd the differences, though little of the story or the characters. The story follows Guts, a mercenary warrior who was found still alive in his dead mother, Guts calls himself the Black Swordsman in the first episode. The first episode deals with him hunting an Apostle in a castle town and killing it.

After this the series begins the flash back to the beginning of the Golden arc which deals with his introduction to the Band of the Hawk, and two of the series main characters, Casca, a female warrior and second in command of the Band of the Hawk, and Griffith, the Bands leader who is Guts’ complete opposite in everyway. The Golden arc deals with the how Guts is recruited into the Band of the Hawk and their subsequent involvement in the war between Midland and Chuder.

As the series continues we learn of about The Hawks Successes during the war, Griffith’s knighthood and his distancing himself from the rest of the band and Guts, and the event the lead to the event know as the Eclipse, Griffith’s transformation into Femto, a member of a insidious group of powerful being known as the God Hand, messengers of the Idea of Evil.

You may expect with an anime of it is it looks pretty dated compared to more modern anime, and that music though very awesome and fitting sounds much the same. The dated look and feel take nothing away from the enjoyment of the series to be honest, I love it always have and I hope to always love it! So much so when people ask for a recommendation of an anime to watch it is usually the first one I say is Berserk.